[2013]Welcome!

Vulcanus in Japan 2018-2019 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: Ktrn, yez

Airdawg
Joe Average

[2013]Welcome!

Postby Airdawg » 06 Sep 2012, 14:37

Manu(vulcanus2010) wrote:Hello everyone!!

Welcome to the forum for Vulcanus in Japan 2010/2011.

If you have any question which has to do with the programme, please don't hesitate and post!

Everybody is welcome: applicants, former participants, people with interest in the programme who plan to apply in the years to come,...

However, please keep in mind this is a completely unofficial forum. It has absolutely nothing to do with the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation or any official body of the Vulcanus programme. Its creators are applicants for the 2010/2011 session.
Please, respect all the rules concerning privacy and discretion given by the EU-Japan Center.

Enjoy!

Too keep the tradition of Vulcanus forums, I ripped this message from one of the previous forums. Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't feel welcome :)

This new forum will also be a retrospection of the previous forums. This means I'll pretty much rip every piece of useful information and post it here (with credits of course), as a way of backup and to facilitate ease of information access.

‒‒‒‒ Airdawg
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 12 Nov 2012, 19:12

I'm a spanish electronic engineer, I have been waiting 6 years to be able to apply to this program, finally.

My hopes are fired up, .... my posibilities not so much, but I have to try!

Luck to everyone!
Airdawg
Joe Average

Welcome!

Postby Airdawg » 13 Nov 2012, 15:30

Good day, reteka. Welcome to this year's ViJ forum. I've been waiting since 2008 too. If you do your best and prove you want to be part of the programme. I'm sure you will be chosen :)

As for me, I think I'll leave the application for next year, but I try to help the Vulcanus community anyway I can :)

Good luck!

‒‒‒‒ Airdawg
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 13 Nov 2012, 18:45

Thanks a lot, I don't have so many posibilities, but I will try, it doesn't hurt.

You should send your application (whatever the circumstances ;) ), who knows what might would happen.

I waited, until I was elegible, to enter the "troopers" forums. I also plan to help everybody as much as I can, this wait wasn't for nothing. Lets see if people find this forum early :)
Michael Arch

Welcome!

Postby Michael Arch » 01 Dec 2012, 20:28

Hi all!

I have a question regarding my eligibility for this program. I am in the 2nd year of my degree - Mechanical Engineering, Manchester, UK. All of the placement years done in the UK start after the completion of the 2nd academic year and since Vulcanus is a placement year in Japan I was thinking of having mine there. When I got on the application form there is a section that says I have to be enrolled in the 3rd year of my degree which is not the case because my final exams for this year are in May. So I am asking if I can still apply for Vulcanus and what do I need to put in that section of the form where it asks for my current academic year.
Students from the UK who have done this placement would be very helpful on the matter.
Airdawg
Joe Average

Welcome!

Postby Airdawg » 01 Dec 2012, 22:44

Welcome, Michael.

Not much about it in the former forums. Only thing I found is here. The safest bet would be to send Ms. Rosada an email and ask her (Then come back here and open a thread regarding the issue. I'm sure many UK students would thank you :D ). You can find her email address on the application form.

@reteka
I know I can send the application. It's just that some things are not 100% sure for me in the near future therefore I can't risk applying then be forced to leave the program prematurely. Anyway, I waited this much, I can wait at least as much. I still have at least 4 more chances :D. I like to think I'm patient :).

‒‒‒‒ Airdawg
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 02 Dec 2012, 12:37

Hi Michael!

I had the same problem as you the last year, I asked to my International Relations office and they told me clearly that I couldn't apply in the second year (My degree consist of 4 years and the academic year starts in September). But your case is something special.

At that time I didn't think about Margherita (I should have asked her xD), try and ask her about it trough the official form ;) http://www.eu-japan.eu/global/contact.html?dest=8

@Airdawg
I see, in that case I'm more than pleased seeing you helping here, even more if you have another 4 more chances! ;) Luck in advance!
Totonno

Welcome!

Postby Totonno » 02 Jan 2013, 21:58

Hello everybody! I'm from Italy and I'm at the first year of the postgraduate course in Analytical Chemistry. To go in Japan would be an amazing experience, and I really hope to be given this opportunity! I see there are still a few of us applicants, but I hope our number will soon increase 'cause I'd like to share the waiting for the response with other people with my same feelings and expectations... Good luck everybody! Cheers!
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 06 Jan 2013, 23:07

Welcome Totonno!, and Happy New Year!

Just left two weeks to the dead line! I hope that everybody have finished gathering all the paper-work! ;)

We'll know something about the mid of february, I think. Regardless the result, I will stay by here, so, sincerely luck everybody!!!!
Totonno

Welcome!

Postby Totonno » 09 Jan 2013, 15:52

Hi there reteka, and happy new year to you! Just to let you know, today the list of available placements has been released, so check it to see if you find something you're interested in! Cheers!
Gco

Welcome!

Postby Gco » 09 Jan 2013, 20:35

Hi everybody,

I'm from Italy and I'm applying as architect.
The problem is that companies didn't still post placement offers for
architects and I was wondering if there will be architecture firms this year.

What do you think about it? Is there some one applying for same positions?
Tnx
Erre

Welcome!

Postby Erre » 09 Jan 2013, 23:46

Hi Gco

At the moment there are only 16 placements listed on the excel sheet, maybe the 4 that are not listed are related to architecture.

good luck to everybody!
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 10 Jan 2013, 15:31

Hello Gco, also think that the placements in the excel aren't all, there are more for sure, but aren't listed on the excel, so don't worry and apply for Vulcanus.

You could be lucky!

PD: Today, I just hand over all the documents to my International Relations Department, so I can say already that I applied for Vulcanus. Let's see how this turn out in the end. ;)
Totonno

Welcome!

Postby Totonno » 10 Jan 2013, 19:43

Good luck then, reteka! I'm giving mine tomorrow... Anyway, welcome Gco and erre, and good luck to you too!
Erre

Welcome!

Postby Erre » 10 Jan 2013, 21:09

Thank you all

I've handed mine today, and surprisingly only other person had asked for the grant in my whole university
If it is not indiscretion, which placements have you chosen? I'm interested in 1-4, 2-2 and 2-3
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 10 Jan 2013, 21:40

Thanks Totonno, good luck to you too.

Erre, here are my options; 2-3, 3-2 and 4-2.

For the moment no other people from my university (UPCT) got in contact with the International Relations Department. So just me it seems.
kilia

Welcome!

Postby kilia » 17 Jan 2013, 15:14

Hi there
I'm french and I'm studying quality, safety and environment.
This is my first time applying to vij, I hope I will be at least short-listed.
Anyway I will apply next year too.

Good luck all !
Totonno

Welcome!

Postby Totonno » 17 Jan 2013, 15:29

Hi kilia, welcome and good luck to you too! I think we should get the answers for the short-listing by the end of February, so let's cross our fingers 'till then... Cheers!
Erre

Welcome!

Postby Erre » 18 Jan 2013, 11:03

today I received the acknowledgement receipt, for those who dont, you can check from 22th FEB if you have been short listed here:
http://reteka.net/vulcanus.php

keep your fingers crossed!
puma

Welcome!

Postby puma » 18 Jan 2013, 19:05

Hello everyone and good luck in your ViJ application!!

Telecom engineer from Spain here. Mostly interested in ViJ because of the supposed internships about GPS. I had to send my application without any positions selected because they didn't publish them :(.

I feel stupid for not having discovered these forums earlier! While doing the application I found some helpful blogs but now I see there is a forum from each year!! wow!! Good job!!!
At least now the wait will be less lonelier :)
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 18 Jan 2013, 22:53

Hello puma! Here another spanish, electronic engineer in this case ;).

About the GPS, I think that you should have write about your interest in the GPS internship, that was what I could extract of the info, or not, it doesn't matter, if you fit the requirements, you are in.

Erre, I'm still waiting for my acknowledgement receipt, I think that I will make a picture and frame it xD.

Also it looks like this year will be more vacancies than the previous. That's a great thing!

Bien bien, vamos aumentando la presencia española por estos lares xD, Erre también es español, y faltan unos cuantos conocidos españoles/as por registrarse, si es que se dignan xD.

Ahora llega la primera tanda de nervios y esperas. ;)
boulayo

Welcome!

Postby boulayo » 19 Jan 2013, 02:46

Hello everyone, I'm Leonardo from Rome and today I've sent the application hoping that this time I'll be lucky!
It's the fourth time I apply for Vulcanus and in one of which I was shortlisted but I didn't pass the second selection.
Totonno you are from tor vergata too, right? :-)
Totonno

Welcome!

Postby Totonno » 19 Jan 2013, 09:58

Hello puma and boulayo! I'm waiting for the receipt as well, but I think I'll get it at the end of next week, since I've sent it only a few days ago... As usually, there's a great response to this project from Spain and Italy... So let's hope to "invade" Japan this year! Leonardo, I'm from "La Sapienza"... What do you study? Cheers!
boulayo

Welcome!

Postby boulayo » 19 Jan 2013, 12:04

I study mathematics!
JReca

Welcome!

Postby JReca » 20 Jan 2013, 16:14

Hello everyone,

My name is Joan, and I'm a Multimedia Engineer and my first and last application here. Nice to meet you all.

I'd like to thank reteka for the invitation. He found me in twitter O_o.

Let's hope for the best and meet you there.
Totonno

Welcome!

Postby Totonno » 20 Jan 2013, 22:42

Welcome JReca, and good luck! Cheers!
snowman
Vulcanus Alumnus

Welcome!

Postby snowman » 21 Jan 2013, 13:43

Electrical Engineer from Sweden reporting. Sent my application last Thursday, got a lot of help from my international office (just one at my university had applied before) and a very neat letter of recommendation from a professor. Hope I'll be shortlisted :-) And good luck to everyone here too!
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 21 Jan 2013, 15:40

Welcome boulayo, JReca and snowman! The more the best!

I also got a lot of help and encouragement from my Department of International Relations, a few years ago one telecommunications engineer at my university (UPCT) got elected and is working now for NTT DOCOMO I think.
I sent two recommendations (I had 7 ... they destroyed my plans with the 2 recommendations limit xD), one from a teacher and another from the director of my school.

Even with that, being shortlisted is going to be a miracle. >.<

PS: JReca if you say it like that, I look like an stalker xD. I was just looking for people who had not yet found the forums ;). Good to have you here!
Totonno

Welcome!

Postby Totonno » 21 Jan 2013, 18:17

We're really spread all around Europe... Welcome snwoman! Guys, I'm asking just to know: are you all finishing your studies at university, or there's someone else, like me, who has just started, for example, a Postgraduate degree course? When I gave my application at my Department of International Relations they told me that this project is mostly for people who are just about to finish their studies... Hope it ain't so!
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 21 Jan 2013, 18:30

Not at all, this program is for people in their 3º year of undergraduate or more, master and doctorate included. In the excel you could see companies that requested PhD students and not undergraduates for example, everyone has an opportunity! ;)

I, for one, am in my third year.
snowman
Vulcanus Alumnus

Welcome!

Postby snowman » 21 Jan 2013, 18:33

Thank you :-) I sent one from a professor and one from a company I worked for, put the company one in the back without a number on.

Totonno: I think its most suitable if you have less than 2 years left, so unless the postgraduate course is a 4 year PhD course, I think its very suitable. And even then it should be fine :-) I just started year 1 out of 2 on my MSc degree last fall, so by fall this year, Ill have one year left.
Sniesk

Welcome!

Postby Sniesk » 21 Jan 2013, 18:44

Hello there! I'm Francesco, from Italy, Computer Engineer... For me it's the third that I apply for the program, hope this is the good one.
Anyway as far as I know there is no problem applying as long as you're at least in your third undergraduate year, it doesn't matter if you're in a postgraduate course or PhD or whatever.
Totonno

Welcome!

Postby Totonno » 21 Jan 2013, 19:34

Hello Francesco and welcome! Good to ear we're almost at the same point, I thought my application for this year would have been perfectly useless for my level of study! Phew... :-)
Erre

Welcome!

Postby Erre » 21 Jan 2013, 23:15

Hi Boulayo, snowman sniesk and Jreca!
its nice to see that the forum keeps growing
I'm also at the last year of my degree (which in my case is undergraduate + mastering) but if I don't get short-listed this year I will do an official master in order to try again with vij. Anyway I think that all of us are between 20-30

ps: sorry for posting the link, I didn't thought it was confidential since you can check on the webpage the lasts participants :c
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 22 Jan 2013, 00:01

Now that I read everything again.... so far we are all these engineers (all those that said their career xD)

1 electronic
1 mechanical
1 chemistry
1 architect
1 safety, quality and environment
1 telecom
1 mathematic
1 multimedia
1 electrical
1 computer

There are no repetitions at all, funny thing. In the month that is left we will be more, that's for certain.

PS: I'm at 3º year, and I'm already thinking in doing another year with the final project just for a new opportunity in ViJ xD #ThisIsSerious
PS2: I was sooo bored studying >.<
PS3: Erre and everyone, I'm going to put that thing in PDF where you know if you are selected or no :roll: , in the comments of my webpage, for if someone is interested and didn't see it yet (This is within the forum rules I think xD) http://www.reteka.net/vulcanus.php
Sniesk

Welcome!

Postby Sniesk » 23 Jan 2013, 11:27

Did you all already receive the aknowledgment? I've sent the application on the 18, but i still have not received it.
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 23 Jan 2013, 12:10

Hi Sniesk!, there have been cases in which notifications were not received until the 2 or 3 of February, so calm down and don't fall in despair xD, it will arrive at due time. I, for example, have not received it yet , and I sent it on the 16th.
kilia

Welcome!

Postby kilia » 23 Jan 2013, 15:32

I sent it on the 16th, and I have not received it yet too ^^
snowman
Vulcanus Alumnus

Welcome!

Postby snowman » 23 Jan 2013, 15:52

Do you receive the confirmation by email or snail mail?
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 23 Jan 2013, 15:59

Email, email, you will receive it in the email direction that you used on the Application form, in the contact section. ;)
snowman
Vulcanus Alumnus

Welcome!

Postby snowman » 23 Jan 2013, 16:50

reteka wrote:Email, email, you will receive it in the email direction that you used on the Application form, in the contact section. ;)

Perfect, thanks :-)

And soon it's time to apply for summer internships as well. This is why I like spring, it's a whole season of excitement!
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 23 Jan 2013, 22:00

Me too, the summer internship is my second plan as well, the most certain place where I would go is the UK, ... Canada or Australia is to far away xD (Not mentioning the money). Malta or Ireland could be as good as UK.
Josué

Welcome!

Postby Josué » 23 Jan 2013, 23:39

Hi there!

Here is one more Computer Science Engineer :D. I hope to finish this year my specialisation (fifth year) in Robotics and Intelligent Systems.

This is my first attempt with Vulcanus Programme and I had to apply for it on my own, because my University know nothing about it.
snowman
Vulcanus Alumnus

Welcome!

Postby snowman » 24 Jan 2013, 00:11

reteka wrote:Me too, the summer internship is my second plan as well, the most certain place where I would go is the UK, ... Canada or Australia is to far away xD (Not mentioning the money). Malta or Ireland could be as good as UK.

I'll still do a summer internship even if I'd get accepted to Vulcanus. I've lived in China for half a year, and many Swedish companies are establishing there, so I'd love to have a summer internship there. Our neighbors Norway also have some well paid internships. Right now I'm tired of Sweden and want to get away :-)

How do you find summer internships in UK, Malta and Ireland? Company websites? Or do Spanish companies send engineers there? :-)

Good with off topic to keep our minds off the waiting, haha.
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 24 Jan 2013, 01:34

Welcome Josué! I wanted to do the same career as you!, but the year that I started university, they restructured everything, damn. Regarding your university, give them a warning shot! ... I mean, a warning about Vulcanus! xD

snowman wrote:Good with off topic to keep our minds off the waiting, haha.

Totally true xD

snowman wrote:I've lived in China for half a year

Lucky you! I'm sure that it had to be a very good experience!

Regarding the internship, I'm poor xD, I mean I only can go to UK "so far", and that only thanks to the grants that the spanish goverment give. We (the students) have to look for a company or a language school for ourselves (pretty much websites or local companies that might work with a language school in the country of destination)

I have been talking about internship, but is more like a language course >.<
miguelcobain

Welcome!

Postby miguelcobain » 24 Jan 2013, 17:14

Hi everyone.

Computer Engineer from Portugal here. Wish you all the best. :)
puma

Welcome!

Postby puma » 24 Jan 2013, 18:41

Welcome miguelcobain!

Sniesk wrote:Did you all already receive the aknowledgment? I've sent the application on the 18, but i still have not received it.

At first I though it was an aknowledgement that they received the application and I was worried because mine was sent very early, 2nd-3rd January. I wrote the EU-Japan centre and they told me that they started after the deadline to process everything they have received. There are A LOT of applications and they go one by one, so it takes time.

As reteka said, don't be surprised if the confirmation comes at the start of february :)
miguelcobain

Welcome!

Postby miguelcobain » 24 Jan 2013, 18:44

I've sent my application around January 17 and I've received the acknowledgement e-mail from Brussels!
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Welcome!

Postby reteka » 24 Jan 2013, 18:52

miguelcobain wrote:I've sent my application around January 17 and I've received the acknowledgement e-mail from Brussels!

Did you send it by yourself or through your university?

puma wrote:There are A LOT of applications and they go one by one, so it takes time.

I don't know if they have fun, with so many applications, reading each one thoroughly must be tiring xD
miguelcobain

Welcome!

Postby miguelcobain » 24 Jan 2013, 19:08

I've sent it through the International Relations Office of my University.

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”