Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Advice (about writing the letter and related)

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

Compiler
Enforcer

Postby Compiler » 28 Oct 2012, 21:11

Thread:http://s4.zetaboards.com/Vulcanus_2012/topic/9141073/1/

makhan(vulcanus2012) wrote:Hi! It's been a while :)

I don't have time to write a blog but I don't want to leave out in the dark on your own. The meeting in Brussels explains a lot but not everything, so I'll give you some advices you won't hear anywhere else.

Selection criteria
We learned nothing new about the selection criteria. As it was pointed out few times for us (which is rather mean), the fact we were selected doesn't mean we are the best. It means we fit assignments requirements best. So even if you didn't make it this time, try the next year, maybe you'll succeed. The assignments will change, so will the requirements. And you'll probably have more to write about in your application.

So far so good
It's been really entertaining and intense 40 days. If you are wondering if you should apply or not, stop. Just apply. You won't regret. The only thing to consider is if you're ready to leave your family, friends and girlfriends/boyfriends for a whole 365 days.

Grant
The money grant is enough to cover all your expenses. You may need some cash to fly yourself to Brussels and back but otherwise the money is not an issue. Even if you don't have any savings you can participate in the program and live :p
The problem is with how it is split. You get 500,000 yen for the first 5 months. Which may seem a lot until you deduce the initial costs, which include a plane ticket, insurance, train ticket for 4 months to Shibuya, cell phone contract, internet contract, possibly a bicycle and some furniture for your room. It all adds up so in the end you have enough to eat cheap lunch and dinner everyday but might not be enough for short trips, partying or some bigger shopping.

Accommodation
Accommodation differs. A lot. You may be located 10 mins away from the school, have an individual apartment with kitchen, bathroom and plasma TV and pay nothing. Or you may stay 2 hours away, don't own a desk, a chair or a bedding, pay 10k yen a month in bills and another 20k for train tickets. It's not fair. But life never is and even if you have the worst accommodation possible you should have enough money to pay for everything and enjoy your time here.
And Japan is fantastic, you don't need to travel to far places to enjoy your stay. Just pick a random direction and start walking. I assure you you will find something interesting there.
I know many people are concerned if they can host their friends/family at their place. Generally the policy of most of the dorms is NO. But if it's for just a couple of days it should pass in some places (and others, though few, openly allow it). Unfortunately in some you don't even own a bathroom (there is one shared for the whole dorm on the ground floor), so it makes things more complicated.

Phone
To buy a cell phone, you need a cash card, credit card or a debit card. To get a bank account, you need a phone number. There are ways around it but it's best if you bring your debit/credit card with you. You can then go to the cell phone service provider, buy a cell phone and later change your card details.
We all got our phones from Softbank as it gives us free calls to each other until 9 p.m. And as far as I know they are the only people selling iPhone (yes, as far as I know I will be able to use it later in Europe).
You got roughly 4 possibilities:
1) cheapest phone possible
2) smartphone with unlimited internet
3) smartphone without unlimited internet
4) smartphone plus portable 3g router you can use with your cell phone and your laptop.

I (most of us, I think) went for option no 2. If you don't care about the phone or the internet, you can just go with option no 1. If your company is not located in Tokyo nor Kanagawa and you have to move after the first 4 months, I'd consider option 4.

Internet
You can get internet from your cell phone service provider or from NTT. There are 3 options:
1) NTT landline
2) Softbank landline
3) portable 3g router

ad 1)
Theoretically 100 mb/s. The problem is many people have it and the speed is split between all people using it in one building. For me it's fast enough. From the moment you apply you have to wait for installation for about 3 weeks. I applied through the EU-Japan centre and it took 3 weeks. A friend applied by herself and she got the router via mail in 1 or 2 weeks.

ad 2)
Theoretically 50 mb/s, no splitting. Price similar to 1). Takes 3 to 4 weeks.

ad 3)
You get it immediately but it's slower than 1 and 2.

Bicycle
You can buy a cheap bicycle with a basket for 5,000 yen in a department store. If you want a better bicycle, you should be able to find something for 20-40,000 yen. If you are taller than 180 cm and want something big and comfortable, you should consider bringing your own bicycle from Europe. You won't buy anything big in here. If you bring your own bicycle, bring also a pump as the valve may differ.

Japanese
Japanese classes are really good but they require a lot of effort and time from your side. If you want to make it easier on yourself, start studying Japanese now. If you can, sign up for a language course. Learning grammar by yourself is difficult. If you don't know it, learn hiragana and katakana. It's a must and it'll be required of you to learn it before coming to Japan, so why not learn it now? If you're past that stage, try learning as many kanji as you can. The language course we attend is concentrated on conversation so you won't learn many kanji but believe me - the more kanji you know the easier it is to learn vocabulary and to survive here (there are kanji everywhere! :D). So grab a copy of "Remembering the kanji" and try to learn the 2000 jouyou kanji (it's possible to do in 4 months, I know a living proof of that XD).

Enough for now, I need to go study a bit ;)

Greetings from the country of the Rising Sun!
Compiler
Enforcer

Postby Compiler » 28 Oct 2012, 21:20

Thread:http://vulcanus.informe.com/suggestion-for-letter-of-motivation-dt550.html

Ema(vulcanus2007) wrote:
Simon03 wrote:Hi all,

I'm a bit in doubt how to write the letter of motivation. Actually my doubt is about my previous work experiences. At present I'm a PhD student and after my MSc I've got some experiences as, let's say, consultant in some public offices.
Do you think this can be something that can give me more opportunities to be selected? or should I hide my previous work experiences?

Hi Simon,
I will try to answer your questions.

I think that if your working experiences can be userful for VinJ you should list them as well, not just in the presentation/motivation letter but in your CV.
Try to avoid non relevant things, eg. "6 months as waiter in the pub of my hometown"
It can be a fairly long experience, but not so important in relationships with Japan, nor in science/technology.

Focus on your best qualities, which can real work experience, of course.

Remember that VinJ is basically focused on building relationships with Japan.
Thus I think that you should stress whatever (serious) in your experience is related to Japan (not just anime or manga... ).

In the motivation letter, it is very important that you focus on why you should be chosen for Vulcanus, what you can give to the programme and to the host company, what makes you special...
Don't be arrogant, but be determined.

Simon03 wrote:Frankly I've not got if "Vulcanus" program is more for students who have already finished their studies at university or for students who are still in a BS/BA.

It's ok even for PhD students, don't worry.
In our year, 2006/2007 there were 2 or 3 people taking part in VinJ, during their PhD.
Please consider that Vulcanus is slightly ruled by Japanese companies.
I mean that each company has a different way to deal with trainees (because all of you will be trainees for them, actual academic degree is not so important for them), some of them can give you great freedom in a very interesting research field, some of them could ask you to be just a software worker.
All of them can have you for just 8 months, so it is difficult for them to set up serious projects based on your academic background only.
Your positive attitude and your determination will be the key to succeed in VinJ, both for selections and actual experience in Japan.

I hope this helps..
Good luck :)
Compiler
Enforcer

Postby Compiler » 11 Nov 2012, 21:31

Thread:http://s4.zetaboards.com/Vulcanus_2012/topic/8762236/1/

Valerio Valli(vulcanus2012) wrote:
sunnythenutter wrote:Hi guys,

So most of you have got your replies by now,

I was thinking that everyone who was short listed could give some tips for the coming years Vulcanus applicants.

Some of you guys have people at University who helped you right a successful application, others like myself had no such direction so I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread to level the playing field for the coming years.

Of course not everyone had help but I was shocked in some cases how much support is given to the applicants at certain Universities in which at least 4 get short listed per year.

So any tips on the application form, international profile, motivation letter and technical skills would be welcome. And of course the people who got through could give some tips on their letters to the host company and phone interviews.

Thanks guys and good luck.

Peace :)

The aid that I received from my university was very poor: they only gave me ufficial documents and the presentation (by a professor chosen by myself).
For application form, CV, motivational letter I can give you those advices:
- Try always to answer at the questions: Why Japan? Why Vulcanus? Why does a company should choose me? What can I offer?
For example: don't talk about high school, don't talk about exams but talk about university's laboratories (where you improve pratical skills), talk about experiences abroad, talk (in motivational letter) about how it's important a collaboration between Europe and Japan, ecc...
- Spend a lot of time to improve the quality of your text: use pharasal verbs, no repetitions, simple costruction of phrases, ecc...
- Be honest

Cheshire wrote:Sunny, I don't know how many of the selected ones (or soon to be selected) received real support from the university but I presume that not so many. I for one, couldn't have asked anyone from my university to make the recommendation letter since no one knew me well enough. So I had to email twice, one of my teachers from my old university then go there personally to get the job done.
Help received: university staff (for solving some of the bureaucratic stuff) , international center (for informing me of the existence of the program and sending the files) and from the teacher that wrote my recommendation letter.

Tips:
-avoid spelling errors,
-send the files though your university
-like Valerio said and this is very important concentrate on why they should choose YOU, (being an ordinary Joe for 6 years and having good grades doesn't help at all), it's a motivation letter so give them a couple of ideas of why you wish to go there, what you hope to achieve, how will it help you, what will you be capable of doing there.
-try not to make it blunt, there are real people reading those and I'm not sure how much fun their having reading the same stuff over and over, so don't be afraid to use a bit of 'condiments' here and there(but don't go overboard)
- you should respect the classic structural standards (and also the requirements given by the Vulcanus program regarding the structure)
-the motivation letter is also a way for them to see how good you know the English language, so avoid repeating the same 2 verbs over and over again.
-don't drink before writing that document and make a list of ideas if not on paper at least in your mind on what you should write about.

AdDe wrote:I received help from the International Relations Department of my Uni, for the bureaucratic stuff of course, but not only. I asked the young lady from International Relations for her opinion on my application and she pointed out some nasty sarcastic remarks that I had allowed to slip in the application form :D
=> I think it's always a good idea to ask someone else to read your stuff, so that you can see how your text is really perceived from outside.

Regarding the letter of motivation, she said it was fine, it showed my English is good, and that it was a matter too personal for her to give an opinion on the content, but she thought I would convince them with that letter :) Regarding the CV, she shrugged her shoulders, she said it looks ok (it was EuroPass), but that she doesn't know what all that stuff means :D
=> Work really hard on expressing yourself and presenting yourself in an honest manner, and then they can decide if you are right for the program/traineeship or not.

But then I didn't send the files through the uni, because I didn't manage to get all the papers for their deadline (which was like 10 days before the actual deadline). So I sent it through DHL.
=> It definitely doesn't matter how you send it (well, except that if you send it yourself, you pay for it yourself)

makhan wrote:Sending through university is better, as they stay in touch with the Centre throughout the whole process and they would know if the mail is lost or delayed.

As for the tips from the university, we didn't really get many. The only useful one I can think of is to get three recommendation letters from your professors instead of one. Don't know if it matters, but I did so just in case ;)

As a general tip, I suggest you start assembling the necessary documentation long before the actual deadline. There is lots of stuff to gather, the more time you have, the more time you can spend filling the application form and writing your motivational letter. After you finish, you should leave it be for a day or two and reread everything. What you put in the letter is a very personal matter, but the information itself might be not as important as the way you present it. It took me ages to finish my letter but when I did it was a small piece of art ;)

Mimovesmir wrote:Well I wouldn't call it recipe for success, but my application looked like that:
I had only one short abroad experience, but positively evaluated was probably the fact, that it was no Erasmus but independent research with publicated results. And that I had a lot of work experiences.
No knowledge of Japanese. And I stated my English to be good (not excellent, I thought it may be problem, but obviously it was sufficient)
But I think, that the most important parts of your application are your motivation and reccommandation letters. I had only one letter of recommandation, from my supervisor, and it was very nice. And as per motivation letter, you just have to include all important points (why Vulcanus, why Japan, Why to choose you etc.), point out your the biggest qualities and relevant experience and finally put it together into a magic fairy tale. I think we all spent at least all the night to make it perfect.
My university had no practical experience with Vulcanus, so I had to manage everything by myself, but they were open to it and supporting.

But in fact I still don't know, which point of my application was helpful and which one made it worse.
Compiler
Enforcer

Postby Compiler » 11 Nov 2012, 22:07

Thread:http://vulcanus.informe.com/writing-the-motivation-letter-dt56.html
Tom(vulcanus2007) wrote:Question from Miron (msadziak):

How did You write Your motivation letter ? Did You write alot on one page or You tried to take it to the minimum? Did You write a new, original letter for every company or just changed small parts of the general scheme to adjust it to the specific company ?

First, Miron, I'm honored about you writing You with a capital Y, but please don't be so formal, I'm afraid my already high self-esteem could skyrocket I you keep up with that
But enough of the funnies, this is an important and serious question, since carefully writing your motivation letter is certainly the best way of maximizing your chances to be accepted in the program.
Therefore, I'll try to give you a few advice about that. Other participants are, of course, welcome to add their own opinions !

How did You write Your motivation letter ?

Slowly and painfully, I'd say... This is a difficult exercise in which you should put all your effort. Your ML (let's shorten it) is maybe the document with the greatest impact in your file, and it's also the one about which you have the most liberty. Take advantage of that ! A good ML can boost you to the top, and a so-so ML can have an otherwise excellent file refused.
Sorry if I add to the pressure, guys, but I'd like to be sure no one ruins his chances by not giving his ML the attention it deserves.

Did You write alot on one page or You tried to take it to the minimum?

You will probably (hopefully) have a lot to say, so don't make it much shorter than a page. On the other side, avoid the very long type and try to get to the point.
My advice is (if not contradictory with those from the Center !): write in 11 sized font, standard spacing. This should give you something like 25-30 lines for your letter body, if the recommended format is the same as last year.
This is already short. You probably don't want to make it shorter.

Did You write a new, original letter for every company or just changed small parts of the general scheme to adjust it to the specific company ?

Unless the field of the internship changes between the company, it is probably OK to keep the general scheme from a letter to another. Even if the subjects are close, you should still find some skills that are more important to company X than to company Y and empathize those consequently.
There's a trick that I think is quite effective (or at least cannot hurt) : get informed about the company, even if just visiting their website and reading their motto, corporate goals, etc. Then try to include some of it in your ML ! This will show you are interested and informed in the company. Don't make it too obvious, though.
Last year, I was applying for a company which has the corporate motto : "Contributing to society with the world's most innovative technology". Guess what I wrote in my ML ..? I don't remember the exact sentence, but something like "I would be honored to be given the opportunity to work in a prestigious company contributing to society with the world's most innovative technology." (the original did sound better though...). I was accepted.

About the contents of the ML, I will first find back mine from last year and then write a few advices about that.

Do your best and good luck !
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 13 Nov 2012, 18:02

Fresh news!, Margherita (The coordinator) just emailed me saying that just 2 recommendations per student as maximum.
flowerlina

Postby flowerlina » 12 Jan 2013, 20:33

Hi, everyone! This forum is really amazing!
Could you please answer whether it will be a problem if question A14 from the application form is left unanswered?
Thank you very much in advance!

Warm greetings!
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 12 Jan 2013, 22:17

No problem at all, is just that they will search through all your documents even if you fill it or not, and will recommend you to a company or another on their own criteria. But if you fill the A14, besides searching for a matching for you, they will try to see if you can fit in any of your placement selections.

You don't lose anything by filling the A14 ;)
Even more, you could be selected into one of your placement selections, maybe because they didn't thought that you could fulfill the requeriments for that offer....
miguelcobain

Postby miguelcobain » 25 Jan 2013, 10:42

Just to feed another thread, if you happen to be shortlisted, what happens then?

Vulcanus Team put it like "Should you be short-listed -> please follow promptly the instructions given". Like if this is a secret agent mission or something. :)
But what happens exactly? Does anything depend on you?
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 25 Jan 2013, 11:00

Yes, they love secretism. They ask you not to mention the involved companies.

They will send you instructions to make letters for the companies for those that you have been shortlisted.

And if you are selected, you will have to sign a confidential contract. xD
Mateusz

Postby Mateusz » 27 Feb 2013, 18:34

Hey!

I didn't want make a new topic, so I'll ask just here ...

Who know for sure what does it mean circle/triangle in Level of student table in List of host companies sheet?
And another question, do you think do you think "Level of student" describes the minimum or desirable level?
Knyquist
Formerly Shortlisted Member (13-14)

Postby Knyquist » 27 Feb 2013, 18:48

Hello! I asked the same question in the post "Shortlisted"
M,D,U means the level you are attending currently, non the minimum required.

I really don't know about Deltas and Circles in 8-2.. My only guess is about some sort of Acceptable/Desirable..
snowman
Vulcanus Alumnus

Postby snowman » 27 Feb 2013, 18:50

I'm guessing "Level of student" is the minimun level.

Not sure what the triangle etc. means.
Mateusz

Postby Mateusz » 27 Feb 2013, 19:05

Knyquist wrote:M,D,U means the level you are attending currently, non the minimum required.

So in your opinion someone who is on higher education level like D(octoral) cannot apply for M(aster) vacancy? :D

I see NTT DATA try to be original ;)
snowman
Vulcanus Alumnus

Postby snowman » 27 Feb 2013, 19:11

Knyquist wrote:Hello! I asked the same question in the post "Shortlisted"
M,D,U means the level you are attending currently, non the minimum required.

I really don't know about Deltas and Circles in 8-2.. My only guess is about some sort of Acceptable/Desirable..

Yeah, I meant that but didn't express it as well :-) It should mean it's the ones need to be attending right now, not the ones you already have acquired.
Knyquist
Formerly Shortlisted Member (13-14)

Postby Knyquist » 27 Feb 2013, 19:13

Mateusz wrote:
Knyquist wrote:M,D,U means the level you are attending currently, non the minimum required.

So in your opinion someone who is on higher education level like D(octoral) cannot apply for M(aster) vacancy? :D

I see NTT DATA try to be original ;)

Yeah.. that's actually a point..

-_-
-_-

Ok.. this means I applied for the wrong stuff.. mmh..

EDIT: Anyway.. I wouldn't permit a Doc to apply for a Master.. I don't want a Doc to work on easy stuff.. So I think "my" interpretation is correct.
Man, this forum makes me tachycardic.
I shouldn't check it this often...
Mateusz

Postby Mateusz » 27 Feb 2013, 19:32

Knyquist wrote:Yeah.. that's actually a point..

-_-
-_-

haha :D I would click 'Like it'. By that what snowman said, I applied for the wrong internship too.

Knyquist wrote:Man, this forum makes me tachycardic.

No.. it's good to know that kind of stuff, but why after all? :D

Another question:
e.g. in first company JGC CORPORATION There is a place for student and four training programmes? So if I'm correct there is four times less probability to get this internship, da?
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 27 Feb 2013, 19:37

You can apply for whatever placement you want. Its your qualifications which will be most important.
It's all up to the company and the competition you are going against.

If they are all phd candidates and you are an undergrad, well....it will be difficult probably. If you somehow managed to get an IEEE transaction out of your bachelors thesis, you might even worth more than some phd-cand (publication wise). Some placements want a good hand on experience. If you have tons of practical experience, that is a huge bonus. It's all relative.

Edit: Guys, I wouldn't disclose the names of the companies here...
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
snowman
Vulcanus Alumnus

Postby snowman » 27 Feb 2013, 19:38

Mateusz wrote:
Knyquist wrote:Yeah.. that's actually a point..

-_-
-_-

haha :D I would click 'Like it'. By that what snowman said, I applied for the wrong internship too.

Knyquist wrote:Man, this forum makes me tachycardic.

No.. it's good to know that kind of stuff, but why after all? :D

Another question:
e.g. in first company JGC CORPORATION There is a place for student and four training programmes? So if I'm correct there is four times less probability to get this internship, da?

They wrote to me that the chance is 1 out of 5. Im guessing theyve paired each spot (and not programme) with 5 students. But I might very well be wrong.
castig
Formerly Shortlisted Member (15-16)

Postby castig » 02 Apr 2013, 16:24

Hello!

Can you tell that how many positions are you competing for now (those who are short listed)?
Is it possible to get a more up-to-date list about the offers?

Thanks and good luck for the selection!
snowman
Vulcanus Alumnus

Postby snowman » 02 Apr 2013, 16:39

Hi castig,

As far as I know, we only compete first hand on one position. The second one is in case some company would consider none of the first hand students suitable.

Are you shortlisted? I think the updated list is confidential, but it's basically the same as the list we all could see with the addition of some traineeships.
castig

Postby castig » 02 Apr 2013, 17:25

Thanks for your fast answer!

No, I'm planning on applying for ViJ in 2014, and now I am summing up what I have to do or achieve during that time.
It would be pretty hopless for me if I were asking these while I am already shortlisted :D

Sorry, my first question was misleading. I wanted to ask how many additional places (the ones that are not offical, like 9-3) are added to the official list on the website (http://documents.eu-japan.eu/vulcanus_japan/FAQ.pdf).
Naturally, a list will be posted about all the participants and companies (without the theme or specialization), but I don't know when...
snowman
Vulcanus Alumnus

Postby snowman » 02 Apr 2013, 17:34

Yeah, it sounded like you are not shortlisted :-) I just wanted to ask, in case you missed the list for some reason. And also that I'm probably not allowed to send it to you if you're not.

There's a total of 32 internship spots on the full list, compared to 19 on the list everyone could see. I guess that's not giving away too much information.
castig

Postby castig » 02 Apr 2013, 18:04

Thanks, glad it raised that much... compairing to last year's 20 participant. Hope it will reamin that high or even increase next year :)

Good luck on your application!
castig

Postby castig » 07 May 2013, 19:03

Hi!
Another question... The offical site about eligibility says:

"able to provide a certificate of enrollment at the university valid until at least 3 months prior to the starting of the programme"

Does that intended to mean that I would not need to provide any certificate regarding university enrollment afterwards?
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 07 May 2013, 22:00

Yeah, I don't think you are required to be student at the time of the actual program?
swoday
Vulcanus Alumnus

Postby swoday » 07 May 2013, 22:28

indeed, that's the case for me, as I'm graduating this June :)
Scemari

Re: Advice (about writing the letter and related)

Postby Scemari » 02 Dec 2013, 17:15

Do you know which are the main common reasons for an Application Request to be automatically rejected except the cases in which the Application Form is not signed? Is there anything else that could invalidate the request?
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 05 Dec 2013, 04:34

Missing compulsory documents I believe it's the most obvious. Ticking anything with "NO"/"I DO NOT ACCEPT" on the ii section is also an automatic rejection (it basically means you're not fit for the programme anyway). Other obvious reasons would be for you to disregard instructions like stapling, filling in application form by hand (new thing this year), sending by registered mail, etc.

More trivial matters: not including a picture (silly, right?), erronous/inconsistent data, failed exams, mediocre level of english, not being eligible for any reason.
Scemari

Postby Scemari » 05 Dec 2013, 18:31

Airdawg wrote:More trivial matters: not including a picture (silly, right?), erronous/inconsistent data, failed exams, mediocre level of english, not being eligible for any reason.

Failed exams? In the exam list I've included only the exams I've passed, not the list of all the exams I still have to do... (including one exam I passed with a low grade and then rejected) Do they want a list of ALL the exams?
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 05 Dec 2013, 21:49

The grade list is the transcript of records/diploma supplement released by the university. It must include all the grades for which you had an exam already.

Of course, mine won't include any grades for this academic year (first semester ends in February for me), but beware of any failed exams. I'm sure the centre is not looking for "perfect A" people, but by having a failed exam you basically fail to motivate your desire for the internship. At least that's how I see it.
swoday
Vulcanus Alumnus

Postby swoday » 07 Dec 2013, 05:53

hi, I'm currently a Vulcanus participant and enjoying my stay in Japan :p
Hmm, don't worry, do it your way. As long as you have all the documents required, it should be okay. They appear to be really strict but actually they aren't (and to be honest, I'm quite disappointed by how unprofessional and disorganised they are sometimes, but that's another matter…). I had the opportunity to check the application forms and documents of the other Vulcanus students this year and sometimes it's really day and night.
I wrote my application very cautiously and seriously, choosing every word, emphasising my qualities, experience, etc. but for some of the other Vulcanusians it was really like "hello, I know that I only have a 2% probability to be selected but blablabla", using a more casual English.
What is more important I guess is to be yourself when you write the documents. Your application documents should exude your personality and motivation. I'm a really organized, persevering and perfectionist person, and I think it could be guessed from the documents I wrote. My friend has a really gentle and modest personality, sometimes a bit unsure of himself, and it could also be seen through his documents. As airdawg said, rather than straight A people, they are looking for people who have the potential of offering something to the Japanese company and the EU Japan centre. Also, they explained us a bit the selection process during the meeting in Brussels, saying that most applicants are excellent, but sometimes their specialty doesn't fit with any of the internships.
But be sure to try :)
Scemari

Postby Scemari » 12 Dec 2013, 20:55

Thanks for all the advice! I'm almost ready to send everything, there is just one last problem. My "country code" (and that of my university) start with a zero. The fact is, the cells in the admission form reserved to telephone numbers erase all the starting zeroes (seen as a non significant zero in a number cell). The document is protected by password, so I can't change in any way the cell format. Has anyone else the same problem? I could try to modify the document using open office, but I don't know if it's ok, maybe it would modify the original layout too much (I tried asking Ms. Rosada but she doesn't know how to solve the problem either).
Ephel

Postby Ephel » 13 Dec 2013, 20:24

I'm having nearly the same problem as Scemari.
Most "zone codes" of italian phone numbers start with a zero, and that magically disappear. Tried the cell format thing, but couldn't.

The only work around I've found is by opening it with LibreOffice on my linux computer... that way part of the original features of the text vanish and you can freely add all the zeros you need. I still haven't tryed to print it that way, so I cannot assure this doesn't break other things :-/
If you try it, please report back what you find!

Anyway, maybe we should tell the people at Vulcanus about this... I don't think they wanted this to happen, and I suppose it can be a problem for a lot of people.
Ephel

Postby Ephel » 13 Dec 2013, 20:33

What do you think that qualifies as: "B-B Other Technical Courses"?

For example... an online programming course? (one of those of Coursera, certificate and all)
A summer school in mathematcs? I don't know if "technical" here means just "hands-on laboratory experience" ("a course about how to build and repair radios") or mathematics still qualifies as technical.
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 13 Dec 2013, 21:03

Concerning country code... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... -4:_Europe

Replace the 0 with the correct +NN

-----------------------

General advise guys -- chill, and be happy that you don't need to fill out USA visa forms. XD
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 13 Dec 2013, 21:15

swoday wrote: but sometimes their specialty doesn't fit with any of the internships.
But be sure to try :)

Yea, it's kind of weird on how they also match you to internships. Last year I was matched to an internship which totally didn't match me. Sure, coding was involved which I could have done, but I probably would have chosen 5 other internships before that one. I guess the other ones were already filled up with really good people, and I -- I was only a 4th sem BSc with little special skills -- was matched to some internship for which perhaps not enough people were found yet :D.

Changed my matched internship for the company letter, and I guess that probably nullifyied all my chances.... not that a badly matched internship was a better choice.

Ah well...lets see how its going next year :) (skipping this year for an internship in the usa)
Ephel

Postby Ephel » 13 Dec 2013, 23:20

Concerning country code... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... -4:_Europe

Replace the 0 with the correct +NN

You don't understand... It doesn't even let you put "+" symbol.
That area is some kind of "pure number, not starting with 0".

Also, even if this worked, it wouldn't help for my area code (the one of my city), because in Italy codes are like 055, 020, 010... And it would write 55, 20, 10. And those number aren't the correct ones. People wouldn't be able to call you without that "0", there is no "+" involved.

I've tried everything: writing (0**), 0.**, O** (with o's instead of 0), everything ends up being "10".
I've also obviously tried to skip the area code and just put it in the "telephone number" area (since in Italy it doesn't really matter if it's an area code or not, you have to dial it anyway), but obviously also there you cannot start a number with "0".

The problem is that the format for that field isn't a "cellphone number" format (if that exists), it's a "integer number" format, clearing everything that's not a number AND the first number if that's a 0.
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 14 Dec 2013, 12:35

I assume you are talking about the main form? I understand your probably, I just didn't realize that your country is the only one where its required to leave the zero of the area code / trunk prefix. In Germany, for example, you would remove it when prefixed with the country code.

Bummer.

0) Type it together with your countr code... eg. 39 010 -> 39010, but I guess i) and ii) are enough.

i) Even though its supposed to be filled out electronically, you surely will not be excluded if you were to write the 0 on the printed sheets manually....

ii) You need to fill out the xls sheet with all personal data, and submit that electronically. I figure, they have a macro script which will simply aggregate all applicants data from there as well. This sheet is formatted as text, so no worries there with your phone number.
Ephel

Postby Ephel » 14 Dec 2013, 18:20

Uh... I'll avoid (0) and (i) just in case I get someone very serious on enforcing the rules on how to fill the form, and I'll put my hopes on (ii).
I suppose this should work even better for Scemari, since the problem was just the country code.

Maybe since the Application Form is to be sent just on paper and not in any digital format, I'll find a way to alter it before printing (like printing the last page as an image and modify it before real print, or figuring out if the trick I described earlier with LibreOffice really works without messing up the rest of the form).

Thank you for your advices :-)
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 14 Dec 2013, 20:17

LibreOffice does fix the problem, but the form is displayed slighty different, though no one would notice that...
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 15 Dec 2013, 03:04

Regarding the telephone area code issue:

The first 0 of the area code is always the trunk code/national access code. It is dialed only from within the country. This code is replaced with the country code in case of international calls.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunk_prefix

Also,
Ephel wrote:People wouldn't be able to call you without that "0", there is no "+" involved.
Of course it doesn't work since you're calling an italian number from within Italy.

More on that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Italy

Although the numbering situation in Italy is a bit strange, I'm very sure that if you put the code without any leading zeroes in the application form, it will be correct since all the landline codes are preceded with a zero.
Scemari

Postby Scemari » 15 Dec 2013, 08:53

Ephel wrote:Uh... I'll avoid (0) and (i) just in case I get someone very serious on enforcing the rules on how to fill the form, and I'll put my hopes on (ii).
I suppose this should work even better for Scemari, since the problem was just the country code.

Maybe since the Application Form is to be sent just on paper and not in any digital format, I'll find a way to alter it before printing (like printing the last page as an image and modify it before real print, or figuring out if the trick I described earlier with LibreOffice really works without messing up the rest of the form).

Have you tried telling Ms. Rosada about this problem? Maybe if there are more than one person telling her about it they will at least know it's there.

I can't modify the document using Open Office without having the password. :/ I can copy-paste the original document, but that changes the format too much...

I don't know, what if I write in the "additional information" section that in Italy country code numbers all start with zero so if needed they sould be added while dialing the university phone number? The wikipedia article says: "+39 06 xxxxxxxx (outside Italy - new)", so I think the zero is needed, now. I can try asking Ms. Rosada about this...

Edit:

Ok, I asked and I received the swiftest Sunday reply ever. Wow. o.o

I asked if I could explain the problem in the "additional information" section of the Application Form or if I could add an extra explanatory document at the end of the folder and they said there is no problem. I guess both solutions are ok, but I will write directly inside the Application Form so to have everything in one place.

Problem solved! :D
Ephel

Postby Ephel » 15 Dec 2013, 18:58

Scemari wrote:Have you tried telling Ms. Rosada about this problem? Maybe if there are more than one person telling her about it they will at least know it's there.
[...]
Edit:

Ok, I asked and I received the swiftest Sunday reply ever. Wow. o.o

I was just logging here to say I also got a reply about the number issue...
Never thought I'd get an answer Sunday morning! O.o

Anyway, Margherita says they'll try to fix it tomorrow.

I can confirm that here in Italy (;-P) the "0" is needed.
Are you from Rome?
Scemari

Postby Scemari » 15 Dec 2013, 21:31

Ephel wrote:Anyway, Margherita says they'll try to fix it tomorrow.

I can confirm that here in Italy (;-P) the "0" is needed.
Are you from Rome?

Nope, I'm from Milan!

So... If they're going to fix it... I'll have to fill in the Application Form from the start! Great... :/ Thank you for writing about the problem, a few days ago they said they couldn't help me at all.
Ephel

Postby Ephel » 16 Dec 2013, 09:48

Margherita says that they've fixed the problem.
Yes, we have to fill it from the start, but with some copy-paste it shouldn't be so hard!
Surely less work than the first time :-)
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 22 Dec 2013, 14:05

Thanks for your time guys!, I love this forums because of these things.

I have been absent too much time, they answer on the email that they are providing now? or are you sending your emails directly to Margherita? I sent a question a month ago to the email on the web page and no answer until to the date.
Ephel

Postby Ephel » 24 Dec 2013, 11:22

I sent the e-mail to Margherita, to the address included in the package my University distributed.

New question:
On the Application Form, question B-A11, it's asked: "Have you already been awarded one or more degrees in another field of study?"
Now, I'm enrolled in a Bioengineering Master, but my Bachelor's Degree was in Physics. In Italy that would be "another field of studies" (after graduating, I had to take 30 ECTS worth of exams to move to Bioengineering, and they're offered by different faculties). Does this count as a "degree in another field of studies" even if it's my only Bachelor's Degree (and so without it I wouldn't be able to follow a Master)?
What should I check, Yes or No?
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 25 Dec 2013, 11:13

I think that is a total "Yes", you already have the Bachelor's Degree, now you are doing a Master, Physics and now Bioengineering, different fields as far as I know. ;)
castig

Postby castig » 25 Dec 2013, 22:33

Merry Xmas for everyone!
I also have some questions about the Application form:
First, in the B-A7 and B-A9 is it acceptable to write half years? As at my university it's more common to count semesters not years, my education takes odd semesters...
The other one is about B-C. We are supposed to write (in case of high school) only the graduation marks from the relevant subjects (as final grade), not all years' final grade from the age of 14, aren't we? Also, is bachelor degree to be mentioned here?
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 25 Dec 2013, 22:49

Merry Christmas to you too!

Humm, that's quite a good question, try to calculate it just by the years that you have been in university, but to be sure ask to Margherita, It's something that never crossed the forums before, that I know(>.<)

I also had problems in B-C, I just wrote the average score and mentioned the courses with awards or honors. (Because the list of grades was too looooooong)
And, no, the bachelor degree that you are taking is not to be mentioned there, unless you have another one besides the one that you are taking now.

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”