Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Welcome!

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

Airdawg
Joe Average

Welcome!

Postby Airdawg » 14 Oct 2013, 17:00

Hi, everyone!

Continuing the tradition of Vulcanus forums, I hereby welcome you all to this year's discussion board.

As always, everyone is welcome: former applicants, people already in Japan, people interested in the programme, people who plan to participate in the years to come.

We'll use this thread as a means for everyone to introduce themselves, as it is the case with the last year's "welcome" thread.

If you have any question feel free to ask here. If you feel your question will open a longer discussion, we encourage you to open a new thread and ask there.

A few words about this forum... I've decided to open a new forum for this year's session, as to not mix up sessions, while keeping the old forum in a read-only state(sort of). Even so, in keeping with the idea of retrospection, I moved all general info threads here, believing it's easier to continue an already open discussion and keeping info in one place.

Now, something for the existing users: I've decided to move the entire discussion board here, on reteka's servers, because I felt the "free forum" experience was a bit too lacking and restrictive. The platform at forumer was ok-ish, but with room for improvement (bugs, no pm-box, etc.). Here, me and reteka have total control over the forums and don't need to fear for bugs or trouble. I hope the move was easy for you and you didn't meet any difficulties with recovering your account. If, though, by any chance you do encounter problems while resetting your password, drop me a line at airdawg5571@yahoo.com from the email account you registered and I'll help you. :)

One last thing,
Please keep in mind, this is a completely unofficial forum. It has absolutely nothing to do with the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation or any official body of the Vulcanus programme. Its creators are applicants for the 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 sessions.
Please, respect all the rules concerning privacy and discretion given by the EU-Japan Center.

Thanks and enjoy your stay :)

‒‒‒‒Airdawg
kilia

Re: Welcome!

Postby kilia » 27 Oct 2013, 15:31

Hi everyone !

This year again I'm applying to the Vulcanus programme (french student in Quality). I wish good luck to you all, former and new applicants !

By the way, the new application form is already out ;)
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 27 Oct 2013, 21:56

Hi, kilia!

Good to have you back this year. Of course eu-japan is always trolling us saying they release the application forms in November actually releasing them earlier :D
Scemari

Postby Scemari » 28 Oct 2013, 19:48

Hello! I'm Italian and this year I'm applying to the Vulcanus programme, too. I'm studying Electronic Engineering.

I'm already struggling with the Application Form. Should I ask about it here or is it better if I use the Advice topic?

For example, I know it is a stupid question, but when they say "All sections of the application form must be filled in." do they really mean ALL of them? What if I did a not-relevant job so I have to leave the work experience section blank?

I have a lot of stupid questions, I apologize in advance... D:
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 28 Oct 2013, 22:58

Welcome to all of you! Hope that this forum stay for a loooong time >.<

I'm Spanish, Industrial Electronic and Automation engineering student at your service.

Yeah, Scemari, all of it (Or so I think), for example I didn't have any international experience, so I wrote that I would like to do an Erasmus bla bla bla bla bla etc etc ... blank spaces hurt my eyes ;)

By the way, I'm an actual applicant too! :twisted:

PD: Hi kilia!, another year, hope luck is on our side this time!
Scemari

Postby Scemari » 30 Oct 2013, 17:26

Yeah, Scemari, all of it (Or so I think), for example I didn't have any international experience, so I wrote that I would like to do an Erasmus bla bla bla bla bla etc etc ...

Ok, but let's say I write in section B-B that I had not the chance to do any extra technical course even if I would have wished so, I should still leave the "from... to..." part blank. I guess they are not THAT sctrict about blank spaces, right? I'm probably overthinking things, I know, but I really have the feeling that just a small error could ruin everything...

About document 5, list of grades, do they need all of them starting from my first bachelor year? I have yet to check if my university gives two different documents for bachelor degree and master's.
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 09 Nov 2013, 17:26

Scemari wrote: I guess they are not THAT sctrict about blank spaces, right? I'm probably overthinking things, I know, but I really have the feeling that just a small error could ruin everything...

Yes, if you don't have anything to write, then don't worry, I'm sure that nothing happens if you never worked before, leave it blank. Anyway you can ask directly to Marguerita (Vulcanus Coordinator) by their webpage.

About the transcript of records, they only need the one of the course you're studying now. At least is what I understand, Marguerita can solve all your/our problems :roll:

PS.: I need to check more often the forum :lol:
castig
Formerly Shortlisted Member (15-16)

Postby castig » 11 Nov 2013, 18:29

Hello everyone!

I'm Hungarian, studying Mechatronics engeneering, and this year I'm applying for ViJ too!

So... reading the application form does it looks like they maximized in this year the number of recommendations in 1? If I remember correctly, applicants always sent more than one.

Good luck for everyone!
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 12 Nov 2013, 13:16

Hi, castig!

Welcome back. I've done a quick read over this year's and last year's application forms. I don't see any differences regarding the number of recommendations. In fact, I don't see where they specify the maximum number of recommendations. I've also read the "FAQ" and "More info on compulsory documents" and didn't see anything there either. Someone said some time ago that he/she spoke with Ms. Rosada and was instructed to send 2 letters at most.

reteka wrote:I had 7 ... they destroyed my plans with the 2 recommendations limit xD), one from a teacher and another from the director of my school.

I'm planning to send two recommendation letters too. One from a professor and one from one of my employers. If they feel like ignoring my second letter then so be it – no harm done :)
KolDa

Postby KolDa » 17 Dec 2013, 14:27

Hi,
I would like to ask if I need to be student during Vulcanus program. Because I will graduate in June. So I will not be a student in September anymore. Am I allowed to apply? I sent an email to ask but no one is responding:(

Dana
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 17 Dec 2013, 16:36

Hi Dana and welcome!

Many of us will graduate in June/July. You need to be a student at the time of applying (a.i. right now) to be eligible for participation in the Vulcanus program.
renna5

Postby renna5 » 10 Jan 2014, 09:36

Hello guys, I have a delicate question:

I am still studying with two-years delay on my graduation (due to a death in the family I have lost one year and half and I am trying to return on my rythms).

The question is: I am a student in the bachelor's degree (3 years here) but with my delay I satisfy the requirement for the 4th-year-enrollment. Is this considered legitimate for my application? I have read of students with a longer delay, older than me, and so on...partecipating in the programme.

A second question:
Am I missing something or the application form requires a password to be complete electronically?

See you soon.
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 10 Jan 2014, 11:47

Hi, renna.

I don't believe the delay counts as a study year, but since your study program is only 3 years long, and you are now in your last year, I suggest you apply.

The forms on the application form do not require a password for changing/saving. The structure of the document, on the other hand, does. I think the form was made with/for Microsoft Word.
renna5

Postby renna5 » 10 Jan 2014, 12:58

Airdawg wrote:Hi, renna.

I don't believe the delay counts as a study year, but since your study program is only 3 years long, and you are now in your last year, I suggest you apply.

The forms on the application form do not require a password for changing/saving. The structure of the document, on the other hand, does. I think the form was made with/for Microsoft Word.

My study is 3 years for a bachelor's degree + 2 for an eventual specialization. But I went in Tokyo last December and I have worked as coordinator in a private Research and Innovation Lab. (here in Italy) so I think I'll try anyway. In the worst scenario they will reject my application :)

Regarding the application form I am using Libre Office and after your tip I converted the file and now is working good, thanks!
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 10 Jan 2014, 14:23

You do that :)

...on another note, is anyone else DoS-ing the Vulcanus website for those placement offers? :D
FrankDx
Vulcanus alumnus (14-15)

Postby FrankDx » 13 Jan 2014, 01:51

Hello everyone! This is the first year I'm applying for this programme, but I've been checking news about Vulcanus for several years. I am studying Computer Engineering in Spain.

I have a question about the deadline. They say in the app form that the latest possible postmark date is 20th January. If I don't get it wrong, that means that we are allowed to send the documents on 20th even if it takes several days to deliver it. Is it correct? I'm a bit short of time :P

I wish you good luck!
luciatahan

Postby luciatahan » 13 Jan 2014, 13:50

People! There seem to be tons of placements this year! Am I right?

FrankDx: yes, I think that's what it means. I am not 100% sure though. I am sending the file through my uni (UPM) and the deadline to hand it in there is tomorrow, the 14th.
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 13 Jan 2014, 21:41

That's right FrankDx, the postmark should be no more than the 20th (La fecha máxima para enviarlo por tu cuenta es el día 20).

And luciatahan, it looks like it, right now there are just 8 revealed plus the 3 just for shortlisted people (It could be more positions than 3) so for now 12. And if we count the rest as one placement for each one, they are 32!. much more than the last 24 of the last year.

¡That's great! Much more people will be able to be selected ;)
aphos

Postby aphos » 14 Jan 2014, 14:41

uuuuh, that's really good!!! but no bio-related ones so far... HOW are we supposed to be this excited for this long? ;)
Florescu

Postby Florescu » 15 Jan 2014, 10:10

Hello!
I am an architecture studend and i am interested in applying to the Vulcanus programme. However i need to do the math myself and see whether all costs are supported or not.
I am interested especially in what does "daily expenses" mean and if they give you a sum of money a day to do whatever you please with them or they provide you with a place to stay and food and that's all.
So if you can help me with information from your past experiences i will be really grateful.
;)
Ephel

Postby Ephel » 15 Jan 2014, 11:56

Florescu wrote:Hello!
I am an architecture studend and i am interested in applying to the Vulcanus programme. However i need to do the math myself and see whether all costs are supported or not.
I am interested especially in what does "daily expenses" mean and if they give you a sum of money a day to do whatever you please with them or they provide you with a place to stay and food and that's all.
So if you can help me with information from your past experiences i will be really grateful.
;)

Hi!
Since there are only 5 days left I suggest you to do your math quickly!
(unless you're considering applying next year)
For everything I've read the money Vulcanus gives you (1.900.000 yen for the total duration of the programme) should be enough to live in Japan (considering that company will provide the accomodation (NOT food! Where did you read that? I suppose in some rare cases there was a free cafeteria in the dormitory, but you shouldn't count on that!)).

To answer you question more clearly:
1) They do provide you a place to sleep.
2) They give you money (1.900.000 yen) for all the other things, and past Vulcanus participants say that it is enough to live while if you want to spend a lot time traveling/sightseeing during the weekends or to buy expensive things/dine at expensive places, the money won't be enough.

From your question I suppose you didn't visit their website:
http://www.eu-japan.eu/vulcanus-japan-0
I don't know how have you heard about the program, but you should look at it! You would have found the following answer to your question:

Who pays what

This programme is financed by the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation and the Japanese host company. The European students are awarded a grant (Yen 1.900.000) to cover the cost of travel to and from Japan and living expenses in Japan. There is no charge for the language course and seminar, and accommodation is provided free of charge during the course and seminar and the company traineeship.
Last edited by Ephel on 15 Jan 2014, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 15 Jan 2014, 11:58

The basic ideea is this: when you get there you are given the grant in several installments. The first one you get on the day you land (if I'm not mistaken). The accomodation is assured by the company. From the grant you pay for food, utility bills, trains, and rented "room accessories" (like bedding set, tv, fridge, microwave, etc.). This differs greatly from company to company. You are informed about this in Brussels

Of course, the money you receive can be spent as you best see fit. But you must be careful how you spend it.
Here's a quick calculation:
although the flight to Japan is ultimately covered by the grant, you have to buy it from your pocket (450-1080€).
What else: a passport if you don't have one (270 lei), the 200€ deposit, 160-220€ flight to and from Brussels, a health insurance maybe?, and don't forget about the plane ticket :)

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: the rest is beer money :D
megathorx

Postby megathorx » 22 Jan 2014, 09:57

Hi there! I'm new to the forum!

Congrats reteka and Airdawg for mantain such nice forum. I come from Spain and just want to say hello to all of you!.

In the same direction of the last posts I saw the list were updated after I sent my application, such a pitty for me because I am only eligible to one placement, the one in mechanical engineering field on Hitachi.

:-P

Let see if the list grow until the end of the month.

And again, congrats and good luck to all of you!
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 22 Jan 2014, 11:16

Welcome, megathorx!

It's nice to have you among us!
You saw how many positions were left unfiled on the list at the time. I'm positive there will be more that one placement opportunity for you as the list gets filled in.

Good luck to you too ^_^
Mindz

Postby Mindz » 22 Jan 2014, 13:04

Hey every1,

Im new to the forum, nice to meet you :) !
Im currently in the last year of my masters in computer engineering and im applying for the vulcanus program for the first time.
I've been searching for the placements list but, unfortunately i've been unable to find it. Can you link me to it?

GL in your applications
megathorx

Postby megathorx » 22 Jan 2014, 13:29

Hi there,

If you read carefuly your application form, you will see a link that contains an excel sheet with the companies that this year offer some placements. Theoretically this list may contain all the placements but i cannot also.

But now i address you the link :-P
http://www.eu-japan.eu/vulcanus-japan-0/placements_vj14.xls

greets!
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 23 Jan 2014, 16:44

I'd like to give welcome to all the new faces!, three days and it seems that they are not going to update the list since the deadline is passed. I'll keep checking if they upload anything new, just for the record xD
Student007

Postby Student007 » 03 Oct 2014, 17:17

Hello everyone.
I`m a student interested in the program. Unlike most people here, I am graduating in winter (in January). So I just wanted to ask if someone here knows if I may apply for a program the same year (basically the same January I graduate) as I graduate or am I eligible candidate only a year before graduating? That`s of course, if I am not continuing my studies or taking an academic leave for a year.
Best Regards.
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 12 Oct 2014, 16:20

Hi, Student007.

I believe you have to submit a certificate of enrollment for the entire academic year of 2014-2015("until Summer") or certs for autumn/winter and spring/summer according to the ViJ1415 application form. The Latvian academic year doesn't seem to differ from the rest of Europe, but I'm not really sure. You should contact Ms. Rosada for more info.

Good luck.
Supersale
Vulcanus alumnus (14-15)

Postby Supersale » 27 Oct 2014, 15:26

Student007 wrote:Hello everyone.
I`m a student interested in the program. Unlike most people here, I am graduating in winter (in January). So I just wanted to ask if someone here knows if I may apply for a program the same year (basically the same January I graduate) as I graduate or am I eligible candidate only a year before graduating? That`s of course, if I am not continuing my studies or taking an academic leave for a year.
Best Regards.

it doesn't really matter when you graduate as long as you can provide a certificate that states you'll be a student during the whole academic year. also they will later, if you get accepted, contact your university and give them a paper to sign which says that the uni is happy to acknoledge that you have been accepted. i recomend to contact your uni international exchange secretary or whatever you have who's responsible for that. can you postpone your graduation? at least 2 months? i graduated this march and did not have any problems.
Student007

Postby Student007 » 10 Nov 2014, 18:24

Thank you very much for your replies and advice, Airdawg and Supersale. I`ll keep all this in mind.
Antoni

Postby Antoni » 16 Jan 2015, 10:03

Hello everyone!

Just finished off and sent my documents. Now the waiting game begins :D . Best of luck to all applying this year!
DiGi Charai

Postby DiGi Charai » 22 Jan 2015, 11:19

Hi, everyone.

I've sent the documents on Monday.
Now, may the patience be with those who applied. :D
zaragui
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby zaragui » 22 Jan 2015, 11:42

Sent them last week!
VLC89
Formerly Shortlisted Member (16-17)

Postby VLC89 » 21 Feb 2016, 15:11

Hi, I've been reading you as a guest throughout these months. So first of all, I would like to thank you for the useful info and experiences you shared with us

Although I'm 26, I'm already an architect (bachelor + master) and I'm finishing the bachelor of civil engineering. I didn't bother to register earlier because since this year was no placement in any of the aforementioned fields I didn't expect to be even considered. But, guess what. I've been shortlisted :D

It's been a big surprise and I think that it's about time to participate in the forum. So, here I am. Nice to meet you
MrCiccio

Postby MrCiccio » 22 Feb 2016, 13:33

Hi everyone

I'm a Mechanical Engineer from Italy. I'm shortlisted :D
I was looking for some kind of help and I found this forum. Happy to be here :D
zepp

Postby zepp » 22 Feb 2016, 18:49

Hey all,

I was following this awesome forum for a while and decided to join since I'm also shortlisted :D
I'm structural engineer from UK and still trying to figure which company to apply to.
Solstice

Postby Solstice » 23 Feb 2016, 21:56

Hi there!

Following these nice people above me I have been also stalking this forum in the dark until I found myself shortlisted :D so I decided to finally log in. I am a 22 years old Graduate student from Spain finishing Materials Engineering in Chicago.

Nice to meet you all and good luck with the next step :)
antoniomc27

Postby antoniomc27 » 24 Feb 2016, 17:22

Hi everyone!
Nice to meet you all!
I am a Spanish guy, student in both Spanish and French universities finishing Industrial Engineering and Economics.
I am puzzled by all the exciting internship opportunities posted this year! :D
francja

Postby francja » 15 Apr 2016, 07:42

Hello!
I am a shortlisted control engineer from Poland who hasn't get any info yet. I've just discovered this forum and decided to say Hi!.

Good Luck 4 all!
FlipFlopJK

Postby FlipFlopJK » 15 Apr 2016, 09:22

Welcome aboard francja. As you may already imagine we're knee-deep in "selection procedure anxiety". Let us know if you get any news.
sbalbp
Active participant (16-17)

Postby sbalbp » 15 Apr 2016, 18:22

Hello everyone!

I just discovered this forum and decided to register since I also applied for Vulvanus this year! Even though the process is well underway by now, good luck to everyone! :D
TheSliumba

Postby TheSliumba » 26 Apr 2016, 18:29

Hey guys,

New guy here, just joining in now, interested in how all of you are doing in this difficult time (lord knows It's taking its toll on me :D).

Anyone got any information if they've been selected yet? April's nearing its end and my email has still got crickets playing and nothing seems to be going on on my side of things!
VLC89

Postby VLC89 » 26 Apr 2016, 19:46

No news, bad news,. I mean.... good news :D
mario9121

Postby mario9121 » 01 Jul 2016, 09:48

Hello :)
I'm italian and I'm 26, I'm studying Telecommunication engineering (5th year and I hope to finish in april 2017) and I would take part to this program next year.
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 01 Jul 2016, 10:57

Hi mario9121!
The forum is more or less dead until October when the fun starts, but if you have questions, ask away! Me or and a few others drop a visit every few days :)
mario9121

Postby mario9121 » 01 Jul 2016, 12:14

Thank you Airdawg ;) Surely I'll ask you a lot of things about application form etc :P The first thing I want to ask is: once I'll completed to do all the required documents, I have to print and to send them in a envelop? Or I can do all by mail?
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 03 Jul 2016, 08:38

As per instructions in the last year's application form, all documents need to be printed and signed (if required) and need to be originals (if not self printed). And need to be sent in an envelope by snail mail (unregistered post or courier) along with a set of copies of the same documents.

These instructions are usually found on the first page of the application form. Be sure to read them carefully, because some may change from year to year. As for the folder that will contain all the documents, I always used a plastic folder (the kind with one cover transparent, and with two plastic sheets – one containing the originals, and the other the copies. The envelope you put them all in you should get from the post office or courier, I believe. I always got mine from within the post office.
mario9121

Postby mario9121 » 04 Jul 2016, 13:17

Thank you ;)
AleBK89

Postby AleBK89 » 11 Jan 2017, 17:17

Hi all!
I'm 27 and I'm a Vehicle Engineering student, I'm doing the application for the second time :)

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”