Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Will my Thesis Scholarship in Korea get me rejected?

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

CapnJackSparrow

Will my Thesis Scholarship in Korea get me rejected?

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 01 Jan 2015, 16:14

Hy, guys! Happy New Year!
I have a lot of questions regarding the Vulcanus Project Application Procedure:

But firstly, let me introduce myself: I am a romanian Aerospace Engineer who took his Bachelor Degree in Romania (with an Erasmus in Turin, Italy) and now I am enrolled in the second (and last) year of my Master Degree in Turin, Italy (Exactly, where I made my Erasmus)!

I got a scholarship in order to do my thesis in South Korea after I finish courses here in Italy, fact which will give me an extra semester of school (2.5 years instead of 2). And I am having lots of bad thoughts about this scholarship:

Should I mention this scholarship in my Application Form? I am asking because I don't really know how will it be received: Firstly, Korea and Japan don't really like each other; secondly, maybe they will think that they should reject me because I already have a scholarship in Asia, so they should give a chance to another student and thirdly I don't really know if they will believe me that I will postpone this scholarship in order to get to Japan (as the application clearly states that I must be cancelling all my plans if I get admitted).

Also, I find it a pain in the ass to gather all the documents, because i have two different documents (from both my universities) that state how marks are awarded in each university.

Should I also attach my Bachelor Degree diploma?

As soon as I recall other questions I will return!

Thank your for your time and help!
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Re: Will my Thesis Scholarship in Korea get me rejected?

Postby reteka » 01 Jan 2015, 20:25

Hello CapnJackSparrow! And welcome! "You will always remember this as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow" xD

After reading it twice, my opinion is that you should only mention that you are in Turin if it extents until August. The Korea scholarship shouldn't interfere with the selection, but who knows, up to you, as you said it may be seen as an impediment, in my humble opinion, just keep the information of your university (Turin), so use the documents (marks, etc ..) of Turin.

About the Bachelor Degree diploma, I don't really remember now, but I think there is no need, they only ask about your current studies, your master's degree, hence, the bachelor's degree is understood that you already have it.

Here we are, if something more! ... and happy new year!
vulcanusprogramme
EU-Japan Centre Official

Postby vulcanusprogramme » 12 Jan 2015, 11:11

Dear student,

I am actually part of the selection team for Vulcanus in Japan.
I advise you to include the fact that you got this thesis scholarship in Korea, since it might cause problems if we have to find out later. In fact, being awarded a scholarship would rather be regarded as an advantage.
We definitely do not care about the territorial issues between Korea or China or Russia and Japan :lol:

Regards,

The Vulcanus Team
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 12 Jan 2015, 22:09

Good evening!

Thank you very much for your answers!

I have mentioned the Korea thesis scholarship. I have one last problem (or I had, because I already sent the application). Due to the fact that I am not coming from an anglo-saxon style university, I do not interact very much with my teachers (if I understand the course I don't interact with them at all) so it is very hard to develop a relationship that could be resumed in the recommendation letter. I had participated (I am still participating) in a University Team and, normally, I could have requested a Letter of Recommendation from the Head of the Project, but unfortunately he died in a car accident (in September) and the new Professor in charge barely knows me!

But I still hope for the best, I think that my Resume and my Motivation letter will cover the gap made by an unpropper Letter of Recommendation!

I wish you all Good Luck!
vulcanusprogramme
EU-Japan Centre Official

Postby vulcanusprogramme » 13 Jan 2015, 09:48

As long as the recommendation letter is from one of your main professors/thesis promotor(s), it won't affect your application.
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 13 Jan 2015, 18:57

It is fantastic to have a contact of the Vulcanus team itself at the forum, thanks a lot for your answers! CapnJackSparrow, I advised wrongly to you, forgive me! (>.<)).

Is very kind of you doing this out of your duty. Airdawg assigned you already a special rank, hope you like it if you keep coming once in a while ;)
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 21 Jan 2015, 14:10

Hy, guys! I've just received an email that says that my Application made it to the EU-Japan Center! Good luck! Fingers-crossed!
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 17 Jan 2016, 15:57

Hello, guys! I don't know if my scholarship to Korea got me rejected last year, but I do hope it will get me in this year!

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”