Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

2015 Applicants

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

Ilion

2015 Applicants

Postby Ilion » 27 Jan 2015, 14:31

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, but I figured it'd be nice to have some sort of meeting point for 2015 applicants, I just got the mail confirming they've received my application, and well... I just can't wait till the shortlist comes out.

Anyway, I'm an electronics engineer from Spain, working and studying right now, nice to meet you all :)
Ktrn
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Re: 2015 Applicants

Postby Ktrn » 28 Jan 2015, 06:50

Hi!

Nice to meet you Ilion and thanks for creating the thread. :)

I'm an electrical engineering student from Finland and I'm doing my Master's Thesis at the moment. I also got the confirmation email yesterday.

Best of luck to all applicants of 2015! :)
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 28 Jan 2015, 11:31

Hy!

I am an Aerospace engineering student, romanian, but studying in Italy. I have received the confimation email 1 week ago!

Are there any other Aerospace/ Mechanical engineering students?

Good luck!
DiGi Charai

Postby DiGi Charai » 29 Jan 2015, 00:17

Hi everyone.
Wow, mostly engineers around. That's really cool.
I also received the confirmation mail. Today. Started to think at one point that my application got lost on the way.

I'm an biotechnologist student from Romania.

Thanks a lot, Ilion, for creating this topic. It's necesarry indeed to have a "get toghether" point for this years's applicants.

Good luck to everyone. May the patience be with you.
Ilion

Postby Ilion » 29 Jan 2015, 12:05

Woah, didn't expect the topic to be this successful :)

How old are you guys? I'm 23, turning 24 this April, will I be everyone's grandpa there?
DiGi Charai

Postby DiGi Charai » 29 Jan 2015, 12:12

I hope that this forum will gather at least a part of this year's applicants.

Ilion wrote:I'm 23, turning 24 this April, will I be everyone's grandpa there?

Quite an young grandpa I'd say :lol:
Then I should be the grandma? I'm 23 as well.
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 29 Jan 2015, 14:10

Well, I am 24, so I am the oldest up till now!

But I see that we are very few here, the NON-English parts of the forum are more successful!
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 29 Jan 2015, 16:34

gee. 23 is particularly old.

still waiting for my confirmation mail - but I guess its alright. Well, at least I am much more relaxed compared to last time...
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
Ktrn
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby Ktrn » 29 Jan 2015, 16:58

Oh my! I'm already 25, so what should I be then? A great-grandma? :lol:

I'd like to know whether you guys have studied any Japanese before? I got the results of my JLPT today and I passed the N4 level, yay! :D
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 29 Jan 2015, 18:47

Hello, there!

Well, I started studying Hiragana by myself. Anyway, I don't find the Japanese Language level a problem. I am sure I will get better at it since I am watching a lot of anime and I recall many of the works. I think that learning kanji will be a pain in the ass!

Once again I must stress out that we are very few on this forum. No problem, less people - more chances. I've seen that there are abou 50 placements. Cool! And no other Aerospace engineer (especially on Aerodynamics) here!
Ktrn
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby Ktrn » 29 Jan 2015, 18:58

I'm just being curious :)

It is true that there are very few of us on this forum right now, but I guess people haven't found their way here or they don't want to engage in the conversation before they have been shortlisted.
Ilion

Postby Ilion » 29 Jan 2015, 20:28

Ktrn wrote:I'd like to know whether you guys have studied any Japanese before? I got the results of my JLPT today and I passed the N4 level, yay! :D

Congratulations :)

I studied Japanese for about a year and got an A1 level, not much but meh, I'll get better there :lol:

Anyway, do any of you guys work? Or do you all study? I'm working for a startup company right now, and it's being awesome. Lots of work but our first product is coming out this March and I'm really excited :mrgreen:
medXmed

Postby medXmed » 29 Jan 2015, 22:14

Hi,

Nice to meet you guys :D .

I’m a 23-year-old engineering student (“grandpa :P ”).

I’m still waiting for the confirmation email.

I wish you the best of success and thanks Ilion, for creating this topic!
Last edited by medXmed on 23 Feb 2015, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
DiGi Charai

Postby DiGi Charai » 30 Jan 2015, 01:21

In conclusion, we're a bunch of "old" people here :lol: Cheer up, obaa-sans and ojii-sans!

Congrats, Ktrn, on your results! ^_^
I did studied Japanese for like one and a half year, but it was a while ago. I should get the kanji books out of dust and refresh the knowledge. ^^"

Ilion wrote:Anyway, do any of you guys work? Or do you all study?

I'm trying to do both, tho i must admit it ain't easy. :|
I'm in my first year of Master and I'm working for a medical data company.
Last edited by DiGi Charai on 31 Jan 2015, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 31 Jan 2015, 01:50

Hello, again!

I see no Aerospace/Mechanical Engineers here! No problem, more vacancies for me!

Do the Aerospace Engineers short-listed last year (Supersale and Fons) made it to Japan?
Antoni

Postby Antoni » 31 Jan 2015, 18:07

Hey everyone.

Nice to meet you. It took a while for the forum to get a bit more lively :D

I'm a computer science student from Bulgaria (though I'm studying in the UK). My degree's focus is on software and web development.
Got the confirmation mail last week as well.
Milosz
Formerly Shortlisted Member (16-17)

Postby Milosz » 01 Feb 2015, 12:47

Hi,

I'm a student of Computer Science Master course. In two weeks I will be 23 years old. I had been learning Japanese for one semester at my university and currently I'm about N5 JLPT level but I didn't take the exam yet. I hope everyone taking part in this programme will stick together in Japan and have fun : )

@up

Forgot to mention: I also received confirmation mail so in the worst case I will know that I tried hard : )
arena_one

Postby arena_one » 01 Feb 2015, 13:02

Hi everyone!

I'm a MSc student of Computer Science in Spain... and I got the confirmation email yesterday! :) By the way.. if you feel like grandpa, I'll be 26 in July! :lol:
Ktrn
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby Ktrn » 01 Feb 2015, 13:10

ありがとう皆さん! ^^ Thanks everybody! ^^

arena_one wrote:By the way.. if you feel like grandpa, I'll be 26 in July! :lol:

Then you're almost exactly the same age as me, I'll be turning 26 in July as well :)
arena_one

Postby arena_one » 01 Feb 2015, 14:12

Ktrn wrote:ありがとう皆さん! ^^ Thanks everybody! ^^

arena_one wrote:By the way.. if you feel like grandpa, I'll be 26 in July! :lol:

Then you're almost exactly the same age as me, I'll be turning 26 in July as well :)

hahaha we can speak of how the things were when we were young... and shout the children to don't step on the grass! :lol:

By the way, I just created a topic with links.. in case any of you are interested in it!
ana_mondi
Formerly Shortlisted Member (15-16)

Postby ana_mondi » 01 Feb 2015, 14:26

Hi everybody!!

I am a chemical engineering student from Spain. Right now I am studying a MSc in Chemical Engineering, with focus in Materials and I am also heading a major research at the University about polymer's fluorescence in order to improve their reciclability.

I haven't recieved yet my confirmation email (I hope the international office of my University have sent all the documments in time !!). I am 22 years old, actually the youngest acording to what I have read above. And I am afraid I do not have any level of Japanese. I have been studying Hiragana on my own this year, but that's all :$

Good luck to everyone!
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 01 Feb 2015, 14:56

Yes, it took a while to become lively, anyways is good to see all of you here! And welcome to this 2 weeks period of suffer and waiting ;)

As for introductions; electronics engineering student from Spain, 22 years old until 19th of February. Third and last time applying (For the time being). Got the N5 last year. But it does not matter, even if you don't have any idea of Japanese you are still eligible.

PS.: By the way, WHAT a surprise, Square Enix placement, I do not even have to say that I chose it as a one of my favorites despite the master requirement? xD
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 01 Feb 2015, 16:45

reteka wrote:Yes, it took a while to become lively, anyways is good to see all of you here! And welcome to this 2 weeks period of suffer and waiting ;)

Ah, thanks to my exams, I don't have time to worry about that XD. Last time around, I had to write the company letters during my hell week (5 days, 8 exams).

@Square Enix: Haha, ye. Also glad to see a lot more research oriented things in the ML/CompVision area.
DiGi Charai

Postby DiGi Charai » 01 Feb 2015, 21:49

reteka wrote:Third and last time applying (For the time being).

reteka, we're in the same situation apparently. :lol: I also said it's the last time I'm applying. But I'm still hoping for the best. And wish you all the luck as well. Maybe this year will be a good one for us *keep the faith* :D
Ktrn
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby Ktrn » 02 Feb 2015, 07:11

reteka wrote:And welcome to this 2 weeks period of suffer and waiting ;)

--
PS.: By the way, WHAT a surprise, Square Enix placement, I do not even have to say that I chose it as a one of my favorites despite the master requirement? xD

I'm afraid the 23rd is still 3 weeks away. But it's getting closer and closer. ;)

The Square Enix placement seems nice, too bad it's not my field at all :P
Ilion

Postby Ilion » 02 Feb 2015, 10:42

reteka wrote:Yes, it took a while to become lively, anyways is good to see all of you here! And welcome to this 2 weeks period of suffer and waiting ;)

As for introductions; electronics engineering student from Spain, 22 years old until 19th of February. Third and last time applying (For the time being). Got the N5 last year. But it does not matter, even if you don't have any idea of Japanese you are still eligible.

Woah, another Electronics Engineering student, and to top it off, you're from Spain :)

What's your university? :D
uthermatt
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby uthermatt » 02 Feb 2015, 12:17

Hi !
I am a 23 years old aerospace/mechanical engineer (@CapnJackSparrow, sorry!) and I also received a confirmation email from Vulcanus. Anyone has any idea of how many people are applying every years ?

Nice to meet you, guys.
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 02 Feb 2015, 12:46

uthermatt wrote:Hi !
I am a 23 years old aerospace/mechanical engineer (@CapnJackSparrow, sorry!) and I also received a confirmation email from Vulcanus. Anyone has any idea of how many people are applying every years ?

Nice to meet you, guys.

Hy! Aahhhrwwwww... nooooo... Welcome! Usually more than 900 persons per year (although less than 1000) apply for the Vulcanus Programme! So, are ye Aerospace or Mechanical?
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 02 Feb 2015, 16:39

Ilion wrote:What's your university?

Politécnica de Cartagena (UPCT), and yours?

yez wrote:Ah, thanks to my exams, I don't have time to worry about that XD. Last time around, I had to write the company letters during my hell week (5 days, 8 exams).

5 days 8 exams is truly a hell week xD.

DiGi Charai wrote:reteka, we're in the same situation apparently. I also said it's the last time I'm applying. But I'm still hoping for the best. And wish you all the luck as well. Maybe this year will be a good one for us *keep the faith*

Yeah, hope is the last thing that we can lose. Good luck and lets wait for the shortlist.

Ktrn wrote:The Square Enix placement seems nice, too bad it's not my field at all

Not mine either, but I played my fair share of games, so many that I should have convalidated the title of game engineer xD

CapnJackSparrow wrote:Hy! Aahhhrwwwww... nooooo... Welcome!

Sadly, another aerospace engineer :P.

I received another mail from the centre besides the acknowledgment mail, I almost die when I read "Vulcanus" ... and it was another acknowledgment mail. Please do not play with my heart xD
ana_mondi

Postby ana_mondi » 02 Feb 2015, 17:12

reteka wrote:
I received another mail from the centre besides the acknowledgment mail, I almost die when I read "Vulcanus" ... and it was another acknowledgment mail. Please do not play with my heart xD

Why do you have two mails and I haven't received the confirmation yet? :cry: It's not fair :(
Ktrn
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby Ktrn » 03 Feb 2015, 07:29

ana_mondi wrote:
reteka wrote:
Why do you have two mails and I haven't received the confirmation yet? :cry: It's not fair :(

I also got two of them, but I got them on the same day like 2 or 3 hours apart. (I somehow got the impression you got your first mail earlier?)

ani_mondi: I hope you will also get yours soon! :) It seems that during previous years some people have gotten their acknowledgement receipts quite late, even as late as 14th of Feb. Though I think you should contact your international office if you don't hear anything by the end of the week.

I sent my documents from Finland with priority mail and received the receipt a week later (so it took 5 business days). Economy mail is said to take 10 business days to arrive. These might vary by the country and there are sometimes some delays in the deliveries.
uthermatt
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby uthermatt » 03 Feb 2015, 09:11

CapnJackSparrow wrote:Hy! Aahhhrwwwww... nooooo... Welcome! Usually more than 900 persons per year (although less than 1000) apply for the Vulcanus Programme! So, are ye Aerospace or Mechanical?

Mechanical/industrial from what I did in my home university and aerospace because of a Master Aerospace I did in Sweden last year. And you ?

More than 900 people per year... wow... That's gonna be though :/

Unfortunately, it's the first and the last year I am eligible to that Program so... *crossing my fingers*
ana_mondi

Postby ana_mondi » 03 Feb 2015, 09:33

Ktrn wrote:ani_mondi: I hope you will also get yours soon! :) It seems that during previous years some people have gotten their acknowledgement receipts quite late, even as late as 14th of Feb. Though I think you should contact your international office if you don't hear anything by the end of the week.

I have written to them earlier this morning and they said that everything was OK and they have sent all documents on January 10th. So I will have to wait.
I didn't expect I was going to be nervous waiting for the acknowledgement email, I should be nervous about being shortlisted! But I can't stop thinking that somehow my application is lost somewhere and never got to Brussels. :?
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 03 Feb 2015, 09:35

uthermatt wrote:
CapnJackSparrow wrote:Hy! Aahhhrwwwww... nooooo... Welcome! Usually more than 900 persons per year (although less than 1000) apply for the Vulcanus Programme! So, are ye Aerospace or Mechanical?

Mechanical/industrial from what I did in my home university and aerospace because of a Master Aerospace I did in Sweden last year. And you ?

More than 900 people per year... wow... That's gonna be though :/

Unfortunately, it's the first and the last year I am eligible to that Program so... *crossing my fingers*

Hy!

"and aerospace because of a Master Aerospace I did in Sweden last year. " Vov, are ye a PhD student now? Where do ye study? I took a Bachelor Degree in Aerospace Engineering in Romania and now I studying for a Master Degree in Aerospace (Spce, more precisely) Engineering in Italy. have ye specified the vacancies ye want in the Application Form? I went for that with Bearings studies and the on with Aerodynamics in a compressor one.
uthermatt
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby uthermatt » 03 Feb 2015, 09:42

Hum, the compressor vacancy was not online when I applied... It's quite interesting indeed !
I was interested in several vacancies, I wrote some at Hitachi, basically mechanical.

Actually, I am currently doing my master thesis for the Aerospace master, so I am not totally done with the Aerospace master (two months left to go !) XD
ana_mondi

Postby ana_mondi » 03 Feb 2015, 17:20

I've just got the acknowledgement email!!! :D :D I was really going bananas checking through my mail box.

Now just begin the waiting.... You know if there will appear more placements? The Excel seems incomplete.
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 03 Feb 2015, 18:04

everything can happen as far as i know. companies might join (even at much later stage), or they might drop out (or not take any candidate). can't give you any odds for either happening though.
vulcanusprogramme
EU-Japan Centre Official

Postby vulcanusprogramme » 05 Feb 2015, 09:39

We don't update the excel file on the host companies anymore after the application deadline passed. At the moment we have more than 50 possible placements, and this can still increase; regardless, not more than 50 students will be sent to Japan this year.
Ilion

Postby Ilion » 05 Feb 2015, 16:32

reteka wrote:

University of Malaga :)

vulcanusprogramme wrote:We don't update the excel file on the host companies anymore after the application deadline passed. At the moment we have more than 50 possible placements, and this can still increase; regardless, not more than 50 students will be sent to Japan this year.

Well, that's more than last year, isn't it? :)

How are your exams going, guys? :)
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 05 Feb 2015, 17:34

Ilion wrote:
reteka wrote:

University of Malaga :)

vulcanusprogramme wrote:We don't update the excel file on the host companies anymore after the application deadline passed. At the moment we have more than 50 possible placements, and this can still increase; regardless, not more than 50 students will be sent to Japan this year.

Well, that's more than last year, isn't it? :)

How are your exams going, guys? :)

Hello! Well, I took all exams, but the marks are not that great so I am going to go for a second round (in Italy ye can take an exam twice in the same exam session).

I wanted to ask, do ye also have the same insanely big exams, live 8 or 10 ECTS credits? Because I have only that kind of exams!
Ilion

Postby Ilion » 05 Feb 2015, 18:30

CapnJackSparrow wrote:
I wanted to ask, do ye also have the same insanely big exams, live 8 or 10 ECTS credits? Because I have only that kind of exams!

^

Sure I did, but back when I was doing my Bachelor's degree, right now in my masters degree (Automation and Industrial Electronics) it's all about low credit (6) but hard as hell subjects :). Well, you've gotta love engineering for things like these.
ana_mondi

Postby ana_mondi » 09 Feb 2015, 23:16

CapnJackSparrow wrote:
Hello! Well, I took all exams, but the marks are not that great so I am going to go for a second round (in Italy ye can take an exam twice in the same exam session).

Lucky you!! In my University you have to choose between final exam or continuous assessment in the first session. And in some subjects, if you fail the first exam of continuous assessment, then you have failed that course and you will have to retake it the next year, without extraordinary session. But there are very few that are so risky.

I have just started my second semester, and I am still waiting for my first semester exam grades, but I am pretty sure that everything will be OK.
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 10 Feb 2015, 00:40

Hello! I am studying a lot for the tomorrow... today exam! I will start the second semester in March, but it is not going to be that difficult, because I took an extra semester for the Thesis Mobility (this is the university's policy). I am also looking for a internship to do during this last semester of actual school!

This forum is getting deserted... the calm before the storm! I do have great expactations regarding my application and I am eager to get the results! How are ye handling these 2 weeks?

Is somebody thinking about getting a PhD in Tokyo? I've read about the MEXT scholarships and I don't think that they will cover the expenses as the housing is very expensive in Tokyo! Someone with more info?
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 10 Feb 2015, 15:43

guess most people are taking exams. doesn't help thinking about the application too much anyway people.
if you wanna use your time sensible, go write your company letters or think about them. if you get shortlisted, you only got a short time to do them.

handling my 2 weeks by being busy....have to work next to taking exams, and then my second study program starts next week. well... and I doubt my application got worse since last time, that helps as arrogant as it sounds.

and no. not specifically. i plan on doing a phd on whether I get a nice position, a good professor and matching research interest. if that happens to be in japan somehow, possibly, definitely not a must.
uthermatt
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby uthermatt » 10 Feb 2015, 16:07

Hi !

I've just read your post and I didn't know about the "company letter" part. Can you tell us a bit more about what happen in case we are short-listed ? I didn't find any information anywhere... (Except the Programming team will contact you XD) and indeed, I have some time now and probably not anymore next month so if I can use it properly... :D

Thanks a lot.
castig

Postby castig » 11 Feb 2015, 07:33

Hi,

The motivation letter you wrote now is only for the selection team, the company will receive another one, which you have to write specifically for the position. They forward all the other documents for you. You have to choose 1 placement, (but a 2nd placement can also be chosen) then write the letter for them. After that comes the wait until may-june.
uthermatt
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby uthermatt » 11 Feb 2015, 07:38

I see. I thought the first one was the one sent to the companies too. F*** I might have written it wrong then :/
Anyway, cannot do anything anymore for it now XD
Thanks a lot for your explanations :)
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 11 Feb 2015, 10:58

You have to motivate similar things for both letters (except you can get more technical later on), so if your letter was written well and a good application comes with it, you should still be fine.
Xan

Postby Xan » 12 Feb 2015, 08:58

Hi everyone,

I'm new on the forum as well. It's the first time I apply for the Vulcanus. Right now I'm finishing my master in robotics. Previously I got the electronic engineer degree in Barcelona. Ehr, what else...? Ah, I'm almost 25 years old, so I'm in the grandfather group. I studied a year and a half Japanese and spent one month in Tokyo in 2013.
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 16 Feb 2015, 19:52

Hello, guys! How are ye hanging in there? Just one more week 'till short-listing! I have high expectations! And I also have some exams this week!

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”