Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Questions about the compulsory documents

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

Monxp

Questions about the compulsory documents

Postby Monxp » 28 Nov 2015, 00:42

I think it would be a good idea to have a general topic about the compulsory documents, so I decided to start one. I actually have one question myself. It's related to "Compulsory document no. 7 CERTIFICATE OF ENROLMENT AT YOUR UNIVERSITY". I'm enrolled to my university for the academic year of 2015/2016. However, my student certificate has a field called registration and it says I am absent. Is it required that is says I'm present or is being absent enough?
Monxp / モンクスプ
Sergikito

Re: Questions about the compulsory documents

Postby Sergikito » 29 Nov 2015, 12:36

Hi,

I also have some questions about the documents:

-My university offers the Documents 5 and 6 (List of grades and System of grading at your university) together. Is there any problem with this? The document 6 asks for an Average Mark. Is this mark the Average Mark of my list of grades, or is it an average of the grades for all the students in my university, to check my place in the ranking?

-Sometimes, documents in English are impossible to get, so it says we can give the original paper with an English translation. How should this translation be? For example, the Medical Certificate is in another Language... Should I ask for an official translation, or a hand made translation is enough?

Thank you in advance.
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 30 Nov 2015, 07:46

Hello! From what I understood from other former participants you can translate the Medical Certificate by yourself. I don't know about the other documents?

P.S.: What do you study?
I am applying for a Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering position (I am an Aerospace Engineer).
Ktrn
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby Ktrn » 30 Nov 2015, 10:32

Sergikito wrote:-My university offers the Documents 5 and 6 (List of grades and System of grading at your university) together. Is there any problem with this? The document 6 asks for an Average Mark. Is this mark the Average Mark of my list of grades, or is it an average of the grades for all the students in my university, to check my place in the ranking?

My uni also gave my grades and the grade explanation in the same document. What I did was copy the grade explanation page with putting white paper on top of the unnecessary information for that document and tadah, there was my document number 6. I think you must have it on a separate paper since they requested it like that.

My uni doesn't give any average grades for students, nor does it rank anybody. I believe the average is just the average of the scale (for example on 1-5 scale it's 3). Anyway, to make it clear, the grade explanation by my uni can be found as the attachment since I can't copy-paste it.
Attachments
Sieppaa.JPG
Sieppaa.JPG (77.18 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 30 Nov 2015, 18:18

Sergikito wrote:-Sometimes, documents in English are impossible to get, so it says we can give the original paper with an English translation. How should this translation be? For example, the Medical Certificate is in another Language... Should I ask for an official translation, or a hand made translation is enough?
Last time I applied, I had translated all my documents myself and added a note on the application form regarding this. I got shortlisted without a problem.

Monxp wrote:I'm enrolled to my university for the academic year of 2015/2016. However, my student certificate has a field called registration and it says I am absent. Is it required that is says I'm present or is being absent enough?
The way I see it, the only thing that matters is that you are indeed enrolled in the current academic year (2015/2016) at your university and the certificate or letter specifically states so. There may be situations where you are enrolled, but not currently attending classes at your university, e.g.: studying abroad with Erasmus.
thunder92

Postby thunder92 » 01 Dec 2015, 18:08

Hello forum,
I also have a question related to the compulsory documents. I resort to you after spamming the project manager resulted in really short (and annoyed) answers to my emails.
Do CV and recommendation letter need to be authenticated by my university? They're highlighted in blue in the compulsory documents. Afaik, those are documents that originate entirely from me, so if I print and sign them they are originals already.
What's the point of getting them authenticated?!

Besides this small query, if there's anyone applying who is currently enrolled in a double degree, PM me please!

Good luck everyone!
Ktrn
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby Ktrn » 03 Dec 2015, 09:26

thunder92 wrote:Do CV and recommendation letter need to be authenticated by my university? They're highlighted in blue in the compulsory documents. Afaik, those are documents that originate entirely from me, so if I print and sign them they are originals already.
What's the point of getting them authenticated?!

The recommendation letter is supposed to be written by your professor and it needs a signature (+stamp if possible). If you submit a copy and not the original document, then you need to get the copy authenticated by your uni.

The motivation letter and CV are written by yourself and thus they don't need any authentication (no need for signature either in my opinion).
Monxp

Postby Monxp » 04 Dec 2015, 05:07

Three more questions:

1. The application form needs a photo, can I put a picture to it on my computer or do I need to put it after I print the document?

2. I don't have seperate landline telephone number, just mobile number. Is it fine to put it on both of the lines?

3. If there are lines I don't answer, like B-a15, can I just leave it like it is with the gray box?
Monxp / モンクスプ
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 04 Dec 2015, 12:21

Monxp wrote:Three more questions:

1. The application form needs a photo, can I put a picture to it on my computer or do I need to put it after I print the document?

2. I don't have seperate landline telephone number, just mobile number. Is it fine to put it on both of the lines?

3. If there are lines I don't answer, like B-a15, can I just leave it like it is with the gray box?

1. You need to paste a photograph after you print the document

2. Does not matter, just fill the mobile number alone then, is just a way to contact you.

3. Yes,empty lines are totally fine, I left that one also empty, is not a problem if you dont fill in some lines that you do not have info on.

Also, I attach my System of grading. This is also totally fine.
Attachments
SCALE SYSTEM OF GRADING.pdf
(301.93 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 28 Dec 2015, 10:29

Hi, guys! I have one question about filling the application form, it was posted before, but I can't find it.
At the B-A7 tab, I have to write "The level of the course you are following", which is "M" and after that, "Official year you are enrolled in".
What should I write here? I am enrolled in the 3rd year of the Master Degree, should I write 3 or 3+4=7 (after my Bachelor Degree)?

Thank you!
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 02 Jan 2016, 17:20

3+4=7

Happy new year!
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 16 Jan 2016, 11:58

Hello, guys! And Happy New Year! Today my University is sending the documents. I have high expectations this year... Judging by the activity of this forum, this year less people have applied compared to previous year.
anaximandro
Formerly Shortlisted Member (16-17)

Postby anaximandro » 16 Jan 2016, 14:57

Hi, everyone! Happy new year!
My name is Alejandro (Spain) and this is the first time I'm applying . The expectations are high, as always, and I'm already eager to know the final results. I sent today by courier all the documents to Belgium, so everything should be alright. So... good luck to everyone!

On another note, when should we know if we are shortlisted or not? Thanks!
Mettaton

Postby Mettaton » 16 Jan 2016, 15:41

Happy New Year!
I've noticed that as well xD Let's hope for the best! Good luck!
FFX

Postby FFX » 18 Jan 2016, 19:24

Hello everybody,

I wonder why so few people have been active during the last days in this form...could it be related to the broken registration? Who knows :D

Anyway, I have some questions regarding the documents, so I hope somebody can answer them:

1. (Regarding document #3)
    Does the letter of motivation have to include a valediction (Sincerely, ...)? I am asking because I somehow would have to scrap 3 lines to fit the valediction.
  2. (Regarding document #6)
    Am I supposed to provide a source (weblink)?
  3. (Regarding document #7)
    My university offers only printable certificates. These do work as official document, even though they are neither stamped or signed. Shall I try to get a letter instead, or is this (officially accepted) print of the certificate accepted by them?
  4. (Regarding document #7)
    If the printout is acceptable, I have to ask whether or not I should add a translation. Even though all points which are stated in the certificate have an English translation next to them (e.g. Nationality), but the corresponding answer is always written in German (e.g. Nationality: Deutsch)
    Should I add a translation?
  5. Is "document #9" the only one which is supposed to be in a plastic sheet?
  6. Are the sheets supposed to be punched and filed into a folder, or put into it loosely (unpunched)?
  7. My university has no "official" English name. Even within English texts, the German name (Technische Universität ...) is used (and Wikipedia states that there is no official English name). There is an unofficial translation (... University of Technology). Which one do I put in the forms?

Thanks in advance!
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 19 Jan 2016, 08:39

Hi, FFX and welcome!
FFX wrote:I wonder why so few people have been active during the last days in this form...could it be related to the broken registration? Who knows :D
Heh.. most likely. :(

Anyway, on to the questions:

1. It's better to include a valediction even if you have to shave space from other places (no headers; shave off from the page margins, but not less than a centimeter; shave off from line spacing; again no less than 0.9x; etc.). Anyway, I did this in back in 2014 and still had to cut a few lines short.

2. It's not necessary, but it's welcome. I included the source with mine.

3. I'd say it's safer to get a letter instead. According to moreinfo, the document requires an original stamp and signature. The rectorate or dean should be able to write you a quick letter.

4. (see 3)

5&6. On both applications (this year's and the one from 2014) I've sent the documents in one plastic folder with two plastic sheets (one for the documents and one for the copies ("document 9")

7. I think both are fine.

Code: Select all

if your_university_website_has_an_english_version:
   use_naming_from_website()
else:
   use_whats_on_wikipedia()
:D

Good luck!
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 20 Jan 2016, 08:58

Hello, guys! Just received confirmation email from Brussels! I wish you all good luck (including myself)!
Mettaton

Postby Mettaton » 20 Jan 2016, 11:54

CapnJackSparrow, how many days have passed since you sent the documents?
emlopez

Postby emlopez » 20 Jan 2016, 13:33

I also received an email from the center this morning. The international relations office of my university sent the documents last week (not sure of the exact day, but since they only accepted documents till the 12th they must've sent them afterwards).
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 20 Jan 2016, 16:06

Mettaton wrote:CapnJackSparrow, how many days have passed since you sent the documents?

Hello! I gave my documents to the University Stage and Job Center long ago, but their deadline was 16 January, so I suppose they send them after 16 of January! From what I understand, 20 January is the deadline to send the documents, not for them to arrive at the Center.
FFX

Postby FFX » 20 Jan 2016, 16:07

Just sent my folder by post and hope the "passed" on the website does still include the 20th as valid poststamp date (as it should according to the application form).

Airdawg wrote:
5&6. On both applications (this year's and the one from 2014) I've sent the documents in one plastic folder with two plastic sheets (one for the documents and one for the copies ("document 9")

First of all thanks for anwering. I actually have thought about this part a lot, since the documents leave much room for interpretation. Should the documents be presented as you would do it in a job application? Should every sheet be in an extra plastic sheet? Etc...
It probably comes down to how they handle the applications on their end. Some would rather flip through the documents inside of the folder, some rather take them out.

I would still be interested to hear how other people handled this "issue".

And for the coming weeks: Good luck to all applicants, except the Computer Scientists who might snatch a spot away from me :P
Last edited by FFX on 20 Jan 2016, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
emlopez

Postby emlopez » 20 Jan 2016, 19:53

CapnJackSparrow wrote: From what I understand, 20 January is the deadline to send the documents, not for them to arrive at the Center.

That's the same thing I understant from the first compulsory document as it states:

DEADLINE:
20 January 2016 (latest possible postmark date)

So, as long as it is marked as 'delivered on the 20th', that should not be a problem.

As for the format, I sent them to the university in a cardboard folder... (with document 9, the fotocopies, in a plastic sheet after the rest of documents) No idea if the guy in charge sent them like that, though.

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”