Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Experiences [Bad Ones]

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

xPhYSiCsx

Experiences [Bad Ones]

Postby xPhYSiCsx » 03 Feb 2016, 23:31

Hi guys.

So I started this thread that may seem a little bit weird but I want your complete and total honesty.

Everyone everywere speaks highly about Vulcanus in Japan and how good it is. What about bad experiences?

What can we expect in Japan that may leave us in an unpleasent situation such as: being robbed, getting injured, chaching a disease, just getting late for work and your boss yells at you or people not accepting you because you are not japanese ( From what I heard, japanese people are not very open to foreigners).

Also I would like to hear about culture shocks that you experienced.

Please, open up, I belive that other want to know what should they expect in Japan and how to prepare avoiding unpleasent occasions.
emlopez

Re: Experiences [Bad Ones]

Postby emlopez » 07 Feb 2016, 15:34

I would certainly like to know what to do in case of sickness, I'm guessing finding a doctor that speaks English would be difficult. I get that is a reason for the EU-Japan centre to request your health history but what can you do if you get a cold/break a leg or whatever? Can you request someone officially to accompany you to meet the doctor? are you expected to go by yourself?
zaragui
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby zaragui » 12 Feb 2016, 01:24

I had some of those experiences: had my heart stolen by japanese girls, and then injured by them. Also, if "loving kawaii things" can be called a disease, I got it.

Now seriously. Japan is a very safe country but it might happen that you get something stolen or whatever - and you'd deal with it just like you would anywhere else. Everyone that participates in the program is a university student (21+) and 95% of the people that get accepted have lived abroad alone for some time (props to reteka tho!) - we can take care of business like grownups. No one is going to babysit you to the doctor (unless it's something extremely serious) - I had a back problem in October and went to the hospital and got a check-up just like I would back at my home country.

All the "bad" situations end up being "laughable" :P Also, the cases you ask about are very specific questions that can be answered when you get selected at the pre-departure briefing so don't stress a lot about it ;)

As for japanese people, they are on the top3 of nicest people I've ever met so relaaaaaaax. The "people won't accept you because you're a foreigner" thing does not translate into "they'll lock you up in a cell and release you just for your meals". It translates into "they might be shy and because of that won't take the initiative of talking to you but if you show openness they are just like any other human being".
emlopez

Postby emlopez » 12 Feb 2016, 14:40

zaragui wrote:I had a back problem in October and went to the hospital and got a check-up just like I would back at my home country.

Did you communicate in English with the doctor?

zaragui wrote:Also, the cases you ask about are very specific questions that can be answered when you get selected at the pre-departure briefing so don't stress a lot about it ;)

Yeah, true, I had completely forgotten about the pre-departure briefing!
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 14 Feb 2016, 07:13

xPhYSiCsx wrote:Hi guys.

'lo
xPhYSiCsx wrote:What can we expect in Japan that may leave us in an unpleasent situation such as: being robbed, getting injured, chaching a disease, just getting late for work and your boss yells at you or people not accepting you because you are not japanese ( From what I heard, japanese people are not very open to foreigners).

Well, trust what zaragui wrote. He has basically more Japan-experience combined than all other participants together. that fucking otaku...
It's probably good that you think about these things, but don't crazy about it until you actually go. And then just go with the flow.

If you want to hear my take (first time Japan, lived abroad before, new to Japanese). It is gonna be fine. This is probably the safest country you can find (right after/next to Canada). I never felt unsafe here. Obviously, if you are the person to cause trouble things can look bleak, but otherwise you are gonna have a blast. Simply follow the rules (e.g., don't carry a small pocket knife). As in most countries, as a foreigner you will be treated less nicely if you are the source of trouble.

Concerning robbery:
A friend forgott her brand new iphone at the train station next to the pasmo charging machine...still there untouched 5 hours later. Name me any other country on earth, where that would be the case... I heard other stories of people forgetting their laptop on the train, and even getting it hand delivered home by someone. Doesn't need to happen, but in Germany that sure as hell wouldn't happen.

Otherwise, only in the sketchy areas in Tokyo you might get in trouble (red light district etc.). No difference here...if you fuck with the bouncer, you might get the shit kicked out of you. Common sense.

The supervisors at the companies treat you normally very kindly and only in rare cases you might get an odd one out (like in every other country).
After all they wanted foreigners here, and they -know- you don't know the customs. Worst case, they will just ignore you.

xPhYSiCsx wrote:Also I would like to hear about culture shocks that you experienced.

Please, open up, I belive that other want to know what should they expect in Japan and how to prepare avoiding unpleasent occasions.

How to avoid unpleasant occasions: Apply common sense. Works wonders.

Concerning culture... certainly a different culture here, but you will be kept so busy in the beginning through school, that you don't have time to get depressed over things. The first few days are a bit rough, when you need to sign up at the city office and still don't speak a word a of Japanese. Some companies help you, some don't. In my case, nobody cared, but we still figured everything out.

And actually, the first two weekend alone, me and friends were always picked up by random Japanese people to join for drinks and talk to us. So yes, some avoid you (because they are shy, not necessarily racist), some are super engaging that its nearly a pain...

If you never lived abroad or by yourself before, it could certainly be a bigger shock than for others.
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
zaragui
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby zaragui » 17 Feb 2016, 00:45

yez wrote:Well, trust what zaragui wrote. He has basically more Japan-experience combined than all other participants together. that fucking otaku...

yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 17 Feb 2016, 01:31

zaragui wrote:
yez wrote: that fucking otaku...

Choa? Your favorite idol from your favorite k-pop band AOA? The only true way to reply as an otaku... As you see guys...you don't really have a bad time here. Its pretty much up to you how open minded you are about things, once you are accepted and actually land here.
zaragui
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby zaragui » 17 Feb 2016, 04:28

yez wrote:
zaragui wrote:
yez wrote: that fucking otaku...

Choa? Your favorite idol from your favorite k-pop band AOA? The only true way to reply as an otaku... As you see guys...you don't really have a bad time here. Its pretty much up to you how open minded you are about things, once you are accepted and actually land here.

And a fun fact: I'm living in Ota-ku hahahahahaha.

Now seriously guys. Coming to Japan/Asia and not watching a live concert of a korean girls' group is the same as not coming :twisted: :mrgreen:

*threadjacking over*
zaragui
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby zaragui » 18 Feb 2016, 02:14

emlopez wrote:
zaragui wrote:I had a back problem in October and went to the hospital and got a check-up just like I would back at my home country.

I didn't see this question! Sorry for the late reply (and the double post). No, I communicated in Japanese. However, since it was an university hospital (like many others in Tokyo), they told me they could go get a student that could speak English to deal with translating if I needed one, so I'm guessing there would've been no problem :)
emlopez

Postby emlopez » 19 Feb 2016, 08:42

zaragui wrote:
emlopez wrote:

I didn't see this question! Sorry for the late reply (and the double post). No, I communicated in Japanese. However, since it was an university hospital (like many others in Tokyo), they told me they could go get a student that could speak English to deal with translating if I needed one, so I'm guessing there would've been no problem :)

Oh, that's awesome!
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 20 Feb 2016, 06:45

Damn zaragui, don't go out of your room this weekend! hahahaha

yez and zaragui already answered, is really hard to have a bad experience here, at most, misunderstandings because of the language barrier. Here everyone is kind towards others as long as you do the same, like any other place.

I was told about one or two internship cases that didn't end up well, but because I do not know them personally I cannot say. Just a warning, never get on a taxi, is damn expensive.
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 20 Feb 2016, 11:55

reteka wrote:Just a warning, never get on a taxi, is damn expensive.

Unless you are on okinawa...cheaper than metro. Don't even bother with public transport
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 20 Feb 2016, 11:56

yez wrote:
reteka wrote:Just a warning, never get on a taxi, is damn expensive.

Unless you are on okinawa...cheaper than metro. Don't even bother with public transport

I would really like to see a vulcanus working in Okinawa :lol:, dear centre, take note! :roll:
xPhYSiCsx

Postby xPhYSiCsx » 04 Jun 2016, 11:04

Omg guys, thank you so much about these replys. :D

It made me more secure about Japan. I knew that Japan is reletively safe but it's better safe than sorry. :)

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”