Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

2016 Applicants

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

CapnJackSparrow

2016 Applicants

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 17 Jan 2016, 15:56

Hello, guys! I returned this year with new ambitions! Unfortunately, this year List of Placements looks very bad for me, not a single placement for Aerospace Engineers and very few places for Mechanical Engineers. I think something bad happened to Hitachi, because this year they posted way less placements than the previous year (when they had in fact the most placements). I was expecting more companies this year, given the approaching deadline of the Olympic Games and their shortage of workers...but I am hoping for the best, especially since this is my last change!

Thus, I would like to restate that I am an Aerospace Engineer looking for a Mechanical Engineering placement. This is an open call for the other participants of this year to write their Major, so we can make some assumptions based on the provided statistics.

Good luck to everyone!

P.S.: Everytime I log in to check the activity on the forum, I see a few people reading as "Guests". I'm curious if this forum does answer all the questions the "Guests" have or they are afraid to sign up and ask something. Perhaps they think that if this forum becomes popular, so will Vulcanus in Japan and thus more people will apply, reducing the chances of being accepted! Conspiracies everywhere!
André

Re: Welcome!

Postby André » 18 Jan 2016, 15:01

Hi!
I delivered my application today :). My degree is in Computer and Electrical Engineering and I'm majoring in Computers.
Can anyone tell me when will we know if we were shortlisted? Thanks in advance!

And good luck everybody!
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 18 Jan 2016, 15:17

Hello, Andre! Welcome to the forum! Last year the short list came out on 23rd of February. If I remember correctly, after your documents make it to the Center you will receive an email that states they got your folder and in that email you receive a link that will start working on a certain date which is also in that email. Thus, on that day, you can follow the link and get the short list. The Center asks not to share that link for privacy concerns, so you should check the short list by yourself, without making it public. Usually, Reteka makes an Excel Sheet here on the forum where whoever gets shortlisted can register itself (if he wants), alongside writing the placement positions he is applying for.
FlipFlopJK
Formerly Shortlisted Member (16-17)

Postby FlipFlopJK » 18 Jan 2016, 15:33

Hello guys, I'm in the process of submitting my application. Bachelor in Computer Engineering and currently completing my Master in Communication Engineering.
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 19 Jan 2016, 06:36

Hi guys, and welcome :)

I too am in the process of finalizing this year's application, in hope this year I'll be more lucky. Just like CapnJackSparrow, I'm pretty much at the end of my studies and this is my last chance too :)
I've finished a form of Computer Science (very similar to André) and I'm currently studying Information Technologies. Basically I'm very much into computer networks, network security and SDN (and everything these entail).

CapnJackSparrow wrote:P.S.: Everytime I log in to check the activity on the forum, I see a few people reading as "Guests". I'm curious if this forum does answer all the questions the "Guests" have or they are afraid to sign up and ask something. Perhaps they think that if this forum becomes popular, so will Vulcanus in Japan and thus more people will apply, reducing the chances of being accepted! Conspiracies everywhere!
That's pretty much my fault. :oops: I apologize for that. When I upgraded the forum back in December I deactivated reCaptcha on my dev server, activating it back on reteka's host. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that by doing that, the forum lost its keys for reCaptcha. It was reteka who gave me the heads-up for the blunder yesterday.

Anyway, once again, good luck to everyone! :D

PS. If you guys spot something wrong with the forum again, leave me a PM and I'll try to fix it :)
Adonald

Postby Adonald » 19 Jan 2016, 10:56

Hello guys! It's been 4 days since I sent my application and I just can't wait for the shortlisting! I wish best of luck to all the applicants :D
Last edited by Adonald on 28 Jan 2016, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
saintvenant

Postby saintvenant » 19 Jan 2016, 19:55

Hi everyone,

I sent the documents this morning. I'm from Spain (Civil Eng.).

Good luck to everyone too!
emlopez

Postby emlopez » 19 Jan 2016, 22:06

Hello, everyone! Last chance here as well. I just finished my undergrad studies last October and I'm currently in a Master's programme which only lasts one year!

Airdawg wrote: Unfortunately, I didn't notice that by doing that, the forum lost its keys for reCaptcha. It was reteka who gave me the heads-up for the blunder yesterday.

My bad, probably. :P I contacted reteka through Twitter telling him that I couldn't register an account.

I hope all of us who are applying for this year's selection are ready! And good luck!!
feanor347

Postby feanor347 » 20 Jan 2016, 17:42

Hi everyone ! :D

I'm from Croatia, student of Bioprocess Engineering hoping for a spot somewhere in biotech.

I could not find it but maybe i haven't searched enough so does anyone know how much people are getting accepted?
Forum doesn't have that much people there so all that i can deduce is that not much people are applying meaning high chances of being accepted.

Good luck to everyone and i hope we all meet in few months ^^
Once we overcome our fear of being tiny, we find ourselves on the threshold of a vast and awesome Universe that utterly dwarfs — in time, in space, and in potential — the tidy anthropocentric proscenium of our ancestors. - C. Sagan
emlopez

Postby emlopez » 20 Jan 2016, 20:26

Hi there, Fëanor. ;)

feanor347 wrote:I could not find it but maybe i haven't searched enough so does anyone know how much people are getting accepted?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think we can only speculate based on data from previous years. According to the EU-Japan Centre, as of last year:

Q: How many applications are submitted?
A: It depends on the year. Last year more than 700 students applied.
Q: How many applications will be short-listed?
A: It depends on the year. Last year about 120 were short-listed.
Q: How many students take part in the programme?
A: It depends on the year. Currently 45 students have placements.
Ktrn
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby Ktrn » 21 Jan 2016, 01:37

emlopez wrote:Hi there, Fëanor. ;)

feanor347 wrote:I could not find it but maybe i haven't searched enough so does anyone know how much people are getting accepted?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think we can only speculate based on data from previous years. According to the EU-Japan Centre, as of last year:

Q: How many applications are submitted?
A: It depends on the year. Last year more than 700 students applied.
Q: How many applications will be short-listed?
A: It depends on the year. Last year about 120 were short-listed.
Q: How many students take part in the programme?
A: It depends on the year. Currently 45 students have placements.

I can't find where it was mentioned at the moment, but for last year I'm sure they told us that no matter how many placements there are available, only maximum of 50 students will be selected. This year the list of placements seems really short as the major companies from this year ('15-'16) are absent. It might be that this time there will be simply be less placements or then the list might get updated later.

A couple of tips from now on:

Don't think too much whether there are other people competing with you. Instead take it easy and focus more on yourself. You can't run full speed ahead if you keep looking over your shoulder all the time, right?

In any case do your best when applying (I guess from now on for those who get shortlisted) and good luck everybody! 頑張って! :)

Also, keep yourself occupied while waiting for the results. Continuously pressing F5 is not going to help the shortlist to be published any earlier. ;)
emlopez

Postby emlopez » 21 Jan 2016, 10:21

Ktrn wrote:I can't find where it was mentioned at the moment, but for last year I'm sure they told us that no matter how many placements there are available, only maximum of 50 students will be selected. This year the list of placements seems really short as the major companies from this year ('15-'16) are absent. It might be that this time there will be simply be less placements or then the list might get updated later.

Thanks, Ktrn! But that leaves me a bit confused, even if the companies offered over 50 placements (say, 60, for example), the EU-Japan centre would still only select 50? That seems odd :S

And yeah, I also noticed that companies like Hitachi that have taken a considerable number of applicants are not on the current list... Well, I guess they may still post something afterwards, after all, the companies are not obligated to post their placements, right?
Ktrn
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby Ktrn » 21 Jan 2016, 11:37

emlopez wrote:But that leaves me a bit confused, even if the companies offered over 50 placements (say, 60, for example), the EU-Japan centre would still only select 50? That seems odd :S

I don't know how the process works ("early bird gets the worm?"), but I can understand why they don't take over 50. We have 45 this year and it's a lot already. Arranging the things for so many people, especially at the language school, is quite a task to do. And simply: they must have a budget for this stuff. :P

emlopez wrote:And yeah, I also noticed that companies like Hitachi that have taken a considerable number of applicants are not on the current list... Well, I guess they may still post something afterwards, after all, the companies are not obligated to post their placements, right?

Last year the updated list of placement was sent to the ones shortlisted along with the shortlist info email. There were also some new positions open for the 2nd application round, so it's possible that some companies only appear on the list later on.
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Postby reteka » 21 Jan 2016, 14:27

Thanks Ktrn for those answers :)

As Ktrn said, do not prostrate in front of the mail doing F5s, I did that the first year and was horrible, this year did not F5 until the day before xD

And do not even think about the positions, the moment will come to the shortlisted ones, as the sample excel on the webpage is just a mere "oh look we have companies", the full list for shortlisted people is another story.

Nothing more to add, but welcome to all of you people, WAITING INTENSIFIES, and may the luck be with you.
Ayllwin

Postby Ayllwin » 21 Jan 2016, 15:54

Hi, guys :)

I'm a geodesy student from Croatia, majoring in Geodesy. I'm a girl so I hope there will be a place for me too :D
André

Postby André » 22 Jan 2016, 11:43

CapnJackSparrow wrote:Hello, Andre! Welcome to the forum! Last year the short list came out on 23rd of February. If I remember correctly, after your documents make it to the Center you will receive an email that states they got your folder and in that email you receive a link that will start working on a certain date which is also in that email. Thus, on that day, you can follow the link and get the short list. The Center asks not to share that link for privacy concerns, so you should check the short list by yourself, without making it public. Usually, Reteka makes an Excel Sheet here on the forum where whoever gets shortlisted can register itself (if he wants), alongside writing the placement positions he is applying for.

Thanks for the information :)
Raxel

Postby Raxel » 22 Jan 2016, 22:54

Hi I'm Rachel from UK and studying electrical and mechanical engineering in my final year. Also found out about this programme really late but managed to get my medical form on the 20th and send it off! Now just hoping it doesn't get lost in the post!!
Laluna

Postby Laluna » 25 Jan 2016, 12:04

Hello everyone!
Does the center inform participants, that they got theirs application? I didn't receive anything((
Ayllwin

Postby Ayllwin » 25 Jan 2016, 12:25

Laluna wrote:Hello everyone!
Does the center inform participants, that they got theirs application? I didn't receive anything((

Yup, they do :) I sent it on the 20th so I'm expecting a mail sometimes this week.
Raxel

Postby Raxel » 26 Jan 2016, 06:14

Sent mine on the 20th and got my email on the 25th saying they had received my application :)
André

Postby André » 27 Jan 2016, 11:58

Raxel wrote:Sent mine on the 20th and got my email on the 25th saying they had received my application :)

Can you tell me what is the e-mail adress they use? I haven't received mine and I worry that I deleted it or something like that.
emcIV

Postby emcIV » 27 Jan 2016, 23:49

Well, I suppose some of us will have to wait a bit longer, since I sent mine on the 20th(my uni did) and I haven't received the confirmation letter yet.
Adonald

Postby Adonald » 28 Jan 2016, 09:48

I sent mine on the 15th and I haven't received any confirmation yet :/
emcIV

Postby emcIV » 28 Jan 2016, 13:10

Update: I received the email in the morning.
André

Postby André » 29 Jan 2016, 11:42

I've also received mine :)
Monxp

Postby Monxp » 29 Jan 2016, 12:23

Adonald wrote:I sent mine on the 15th and I haven't received any confirmation yet :/

I sent it on the 14th and received my confirmation today. It went to my spam folder for some reason so I suggest to check there just in case.
Monxp / モンクスプ
emlopez

Postby emlopez » 31 Jan 2016, 16:37

Ohh, I see that a new Shortlist countdown has been added. That adds to the hype! Again, みんなさんがんばって!!
Adonald

Postby Adonald » 01 Feb 2016, 16:59

Good evening guys! I've finally received my confirmation today! Just 21 days for the shortlisting! Good luck to us all :D
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 06 Feb 2016, 11:11

Hello, guys! How is the waiting going? Getting tense? Are you now fighting you exams?

I've noticed there was no post from the "vulcanusprogramme" forum member this year. Furthermore, judging from the number of new members and posts, there are fewer people applying this year than the last year - so, more chances for us.

Good luck to all of us!
Arn

Postby Arn » 08 Feb 2016, 15:18

Hello.

My name is Arnas and I'm studying computer science in Scotland right now.
Only found out about the programme about a week until its deadline.
Best of luck to all of us.
thunder92

Postby thunder92 » 15 Feb 2016, 20:22

CapnJackSparrow wrote:Getting tense?

HELL YEAH!!
Less than a week....good luck people!
emlopez

Postby emlopez » 19 Feb 2016, 16:09

PSSST, you should check that link the centre sent in the email, I just did and something showed up!

No luck for me it seems (I'm even relieved, my life was going to be a constant stress the following months had I been shortlisted). Good luck to all of those shortlisted!
CapnJackSparrow

Postby CapnJackSparrow » 19 Feb 2016, 16:20

Hello! Thank you for posting that information!

I was not selected this year either! It was a nice journey and I wish you all the best!

It was my last year of eligibility, so I can take my mind away from this!

God's be!
Sergikito

Postby Sergikito » 19 Feb 2016, 17:22

I have not been selected either. I hope this is just a test, and next monday they will release the official one.

Good luck guys :)
anaximandro

Postby anaximandro » 19 Feb 2016, 18:10

Shortlisted! Oh yeah! I did´t expect it... So happy!
Mettaton

Postby Mettaton » 19 Feb 2016, 18:22

I'm on the list as well!!!
Still can't believe it :D
Ayllwin

Postby Ayllwin » 19 Feb 2016, 19:11

Congrats, guys :D I didn't get shortlisted but I'm applying next year so there is still a chance :D
reteka
Admin back from Japan

Re: 2016 Applicants

Postby reteka » 20 Feb 2016, 06:38

CONGRATULATIONS to those that were shortlisted!, it will be just a few more months of waiting, but wish you the best! (Specially to our dear admin and forum god Airdawg), for those that did not had such luck, do not fret about it, there is always a path.

I have been really disconnected from the forum because of internet lack xD. Expect me more around here.
FlipFlopJK

Postby FlipFlopJK » 20 Feb 2016, 11:43

Finally at my third application I got shortlisted.
As for those that didn't get short listed: don't give up guys, if you're going to pursue a Ph.D. you can still apply during that period.
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 20 Feb 2016, 17:35

reteka wrote:(Specially to our dear admin and forum god Airdawg)
AAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHH :lol: FORUM GOD!

srsly

Code: Select all

# chown -R airdawg:airdawg forum/      # All your forum are belong to airdawg

Nah, seriously now, thank you reteka for giving me way too much credit and also Congrats to every one shortlisted! And as reteka said, those of you that didn't get shortlisted this year, don't worry too much about it, there are always all kinds of opportunities that pop up (some when you least expect).
Arn

Postby Arn » 20 Feb 2016, 17:48

Aww. Wasn't selected.
Oh well, at least I'm getting my Honours degree in July :V
Best of luck in your interviews.
anaximandro

Postby anaximandro » 20 Feb 2016, 18:41

Congratulations to everybody who´ve been shortlisted! Anyone knows what to do now? By that I mean the new instructions we need to follow. Because I hacen´t received any email at all...
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 20 Feb 2016, 18:43

Emails should mostly come after 22, as stated in the Acknowledgement receipt.
Monxp

Postby Monxp » 21 Feb 2016, 02:07

I didn't get shortlisted this year, time to think other plans.
Monxp / モンクスプ
pietro93

Postby pietro93 » 21 Feb 2016, 18:10

Hello everyone :D

I've been wanting to apply for this programme for years but this was the first time I was actually eligible and guess what... I got shortlisted! :D So I thought I would sign up on this board and introduce myself instead of just lurking around.

I'm Pietro, 22 y/o from Italy and I'm currently in my 4th (and final) year of an undergraduate bachelor degree in Software Engineering at the University of Glasgow, Scotland. Nice to meet you all!
Mettaton

Postby Mettaton » 22 Feb 2016, 00:06

Hey guys!
Does anyone know if the centre sends to the companies more documents apart from the motivation letter we have to write for them? Like our CV, application form, the first motivation letter or something like that? Or do they just send to the company the motivation letter and the compay makes their choice based only on that?
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 22 Feb 2016, 01:22

Mettaton wrote:Hey guys!
Does anyone know if the centre sends to the companies more documents apart from the motivation letter we have to write for them? Like our CV, application form, the first motivation letter or something like that? Or do they just send to the company the motivation letter and the company makes their choice based only on that?

I think it is stated somewhere, that the original motivation letter is not forwarded (and you can thus "inspire" yourself). However, the further down the road you are in your studies, the more technical skills you have and you might want to show them off. So, inspire yourself, get the general motivation for Japan across, but definitely make clear why this placement and you are the perfect match, so that even Valentine feels like throwing up at so much romance (that does not only mean stating one technical skill other the other).

Everyone pre-selected: Congrats, write your company letters, sent them. And then -do-other-stuff-, and your life should be pretty stress free.

Everyone not selected: Try again. twice the charm (or sometimes more...). From what I read, some people obviously didn't take a big hit on their ego......., but everyone else. A lot of people in the program applied twice, so don't fret about it - just keep improving yourself. And as reteka/airdawg said, lots of other opportunities can open up (also outside of Japan)...
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
saintvenant

Postby saintvenant » 22 Feb 2016, 08:51

Congratulations to all those who have been selected! For me it's time to keep working and keep trying in the coming years.

Good luck in the next phase!
MrCiccio

Postby MrCiccio » 22 Feb 2016, 13:39

Hi everyone.

I'm in the shortlist and I was looking for help.
I got the email, one month ago, with the Shortlist link... and I am wandering what I have to do now.

Do I have to wait for an email? Or do I have to do something more now?

Thank you for the help :D
Airdawg
Joe Average

Postby Airdawg » 22 Feb 2016, 13:49

MrCiccio wrote:[...] and I am wandering what I have to do now.

Do I have to wait for an email? Or do I have to do something more now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfc4eim6XCA
We're all waiting for the "you are shortlisted" email :)

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”