Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Questions on Application Form

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

arxakoulini

Questions on Application Form

Postby arxakoulini » 02 Nov 2016, 19:49

Hello everyone. I have started preparing my documents for this year's application and I have some questions. :)

A8
I am from Greece, so we need to do the army stuff. However, I have postponement activated until 2021 cause I am studying. Should I check 'to start after 01 Sept. 2017' or 'not required' ?

B-A9
I am doing my Bachelor now. It takes 4 official years, but I am in the 5th year now (taking one year extra). Should I put 4 U=4 or 5 U=5 ?
Also, what is the official year I am enrolled in? 4 or 5 ?

B-A17
What do they mean by saying additional academic results?

B-B OTHER TECHNICAL COURSES
At my department we have many lab courses, is it this what they mean? Or maybe online courses is what they mean(e.x. udemy.com)?

B-C SCHOOLS (from secondary education on)
I just need to include my High School's name along with my final grade?

Some final questions....and we are done!

1) What is the difference if you choose to put a specific company at A-14 ? Will you have better chances of being selected or smth like that?

2) It says that the documents must be unstapled. However, should I staple my grades for example (cause they are going to be like 4 pages)?

3) Should I send my documents through my University? What's the difference? Is is "bad" if I send them myself?

4) Should we follow any further writing template, apart from the font and page size, for our Motivation Letter ?

Thanks so much for taking your time to read my questions! :D Good luck to everyone!!
TasosZG
Active participant (16-17)

Re: Questions on Application Form

Postby TasosZG » 08 Nov 2016, 12:38

A8
I am from Greece, so we need to do the army stuff. However, I have postponement activated until 2021 cause I am studying. Should I check 'to start after 01 Sept. 2017' or 'not required' ?

After 01 Sept.2017

B-A9
I am doing my Bachelor now. It takes 4 official years, but I am in the 5th year now (taking one year extra). Should I put 4 U=4 or 5 U=5 ?
Also, what is the official year I am enrolled in? 4 or 5 ?

5 U=5
Official year enrolled 5 ( Δε γαμιέται... )

B-A17
What do they mean by saying additional academic results?

I don't know.

B-B OTHER TECHNICAL COURSES
At my department we have many lab courses, is it this what they mean? Or maybe online courses is what they mean(e.x. udemy.com)?

Anything that is not part of your main studies so not the lab courses.

B-C SCHOOLS (from secondary education on)
I just need to include my High School's name along with my final grade?

Yes. Mine was 13/20 so I left it blank :P

1) What is the difference if you choose to put a specific company at A-14 ? Will you have better chances of being selected or smth like that?

No better chances. You just give them a hint on where to look while they are matching people with companies i suppose.

2) It says that the documents must be unstapled. However, should I staple my grades for example (cause they are going to be like 4 pages)?

DON'T staple anything. Even if it is 100 pages with one word on each page (Don't do that either).

3) Should I send my documents through my University? What's the difference? Is is "bad" if I send them myself?

It's neither good nor bad to send them by yourself. There are just two different ways to do it. I sent them by myself.

4) Should we follow any further writing template, apart from the font and page size, for our Motivation Letter ?

These are the restrictions. It's up to you to write it any way you want.

AND GOOD LUCK FELLOW GREEK!
arxakoulini

Postby arxakoulini » 08 Nov 2016, 13:00

Thanks so much much for your reply. Considering that I chose my mayor (κατεύθυνση) at my 6th Semester, should I put 3 U + 2S = 5 ?
TasosZG

Postby TasosZG » 08 Nov 2016, 13:04

I also chose a specialization in my 6th Semester and i just put U but both are fine I guess.
arxakoulini

Postby arxakoulini » 12 Nov 2016, 18:09

Regarding the compulsory document no.7, it is said that it must me in English (no translation) and Original. However, my university provides enrolment certificates only in native language. Do you think it will be accepted if I "break the rules" and provide an official English translation of it? Thanks a lot.
TasosZG

Postby TasosZG » 13 Nov 2016, 06:30

In my case I personally asked my department to sign and stamp a document in English. I suggest you go ask them personally.
arxakoulini

Postby arxakoulini » 13 Nov 2016, 10:44

I did ask them...I didn't get a positive answer :(
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 15 Nov 2016, 02:34

I remember I had a similar problem. My university does give out English documents, but only online and as pdf (saying on the bottom this is considered as original). They don't hand out manually created ones with signature/stamp.

After a few months in the application process the Vulcanus team complained I need to submit a stamped version. Went to the office for this kind of stuff, and they said no, its not supposed to be stamped and they won't do it (what would be the harm!?). Anyway, at that moment the study advisor came in and luckily we know each other well. When he heard what was going on, he just laughed at the secretary, took the stamp, slapped it on and I was on my way.

tl;dr: if you have any friends in the faculty, ask them for help to get a stamp. if a professor calls in, they are typically more reluctant to say no to you. however, I am not sure about the English version. Check you official university guidelines (not just faculty) if you have a right to it. And go to the international office of your university (not just faculty). I can't imagine you being the very first student having this particular problem.
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
arxakoulini

Postby arxakoulini » 15 Nov 2016, 11:12

What if I include my original (stamped) Greek certificate of enrolment along with an official english translation of it, just like my grades? However, Vulcanus states that only the grades, system of grading and the medical certificate can be in original language and therefore be translated :/
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 15 Nov 2016, 11:59

Well, you can always try and see if they complain later on. But since its only November, write a mail to the officials and ask.
Typically they will get a lot of inquires and a reply might take time.

In the meantime, try what I or others propose. Later on, you can still take a gamble.
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”