Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Queries about Vulcanus requeriments

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

cona11

Queries about Vulcanus requeriments

Postby cona11 » 08 Dec 2016, 10:57

Hello everybody,
I am Abel, I am Spanish student of Pharmacy. I have a big doubt about this scholarship: Can I apply for Vulcanus if I am a student of Pharmacy? I mean, Pharmacy is not a basic science as Biology or Chemistry or a Engineering ... but we know a lot of biology, chemistry, physics... So can I apply for this programme? I have a good academic record (My marks average is about 9.2), but I really do not know if pharmacists can apply for Vulcanus.

Thanks in advance!
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Re: Queries about Vulcanus requeriments

Postby yez » 08 Dec 2016, 23:10

The list of study courses on the website is finished with a ",…" - so it is not exhaustive.
I am pretty sure, no one here can give you a guarantee. If you fulfill all other requirements (enrolled university student), you can try.

Biggest problem will be finding a good placement match later on (simply, because there might be no pharmacy company participating). So if you should get shortlisted, consider that you will have a very fierce competition with people in the same pool/placement, who (maybe) only study the exact thing , aka. "why should I select someone who is from a different topic, if I have three experts in the area of my internship applying" (as extreme scenario). But Vulcanus is a bit random and you never know, so try it for sure!

Because you explicitly mention good mark.... grades only get you so far. Good academic record will help, but wont be the only criteria they will look at. Especially for the first stage, if you are maybe an unlikely candidate think clearly about what you can offer as a participant to the program/company (besides grades).
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
cona11

Postby cona11 » 09 Dec 2016, 12:39

yez wrote:The list of study courses on the website is finished with a ",…" - so it is not exhaustive.
I am pretty sure, no one here can give you a guarantee. If you fulfill all other requirements (enrolled university student), you can try.

Biggest problem will be finding a good placement match later on (simply, because there might be no pharmacy company participating). So if you should get shortlisted, consider that you will have a very fierce competition with people in the same pool/placement, who (maybe) only study the exact thing , aka. "why should I select someone who is from a different topic, if I have three experts in the area of my internship applying" (as extreme scenario). But Vulcanus is a bit random and you never know, so try it for sure!

Because you explicitly mention good mark.... grades only get you so far. Good academic record will help, but wont be the only criteria they will look at. Especially for the first stage, if you are maybe an unlikely candidate think clearly about what you can offer as a participant to the program/company (besides grades).

Thanks you answering!
Yesterday I received an email that answers my doubt, they say me that I could apply for the programme, so I think that there might be some pharmacy company(ies) company participating. Yes, I know that a good mark is not everything... There are a lot of things that can decide if I am chosen. I think that is more important explaining what I can offer to the program too. Yes, I understand you, for example: We study a lot of biotecnology, but someone who have studied that degree should have more chances for a biotecnology company than me. Having good luck is important too! Thanks you!
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 09 Dec 2016, 13:08

Well...just as much as being multi-sided/interdisciplinary is also a good thing, that can work to your advantage ;).

Best of luck!
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
cona11

Postby cona11 » 10 Dec 2016, 13:27

yez wrote:Well...just as much as being multi-sided/interdisciplinary is also a good thing, that can work to your advantage ;).

Best of luck!

Yeah, how it is said in my faculty: "We know a bite of everything, but we are not experts in anything(except Microbiology, Pharmacology and Pharmacognosy)"
Thanks you ! I wish you the best too!

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”