Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Queries about arrival to Japan

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

cona11
Posts: 22
Joined: 08 Dec 2016, 10:45
Been thanked: 2 times
Status: Offline

Queries about arrival to Japan

Postby cona11 » 02 Jan 2017, 23:14

Hi everyone!
I have a couple of queries about arrival to Japan(Narita probably).

1)Do you have to go from your home country alone? Or do you have a meeting in Brussels with the other people who have been chosen and everyone fly to Japan together?
2) In case that you travel alone: When you arrive to Japan are anyone from the EU-Japan Cooperation Center or from your company waiting for you in the airport? I mean how do you know how to go to your department or your Japanese School...?

Thanks in advance!
Sorry for my bad English!
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)
Posts: 91
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 17:35
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 19 times
Status: Offline

Re: Queries about arrival to Japan

Postby yez » 03 Jan 2017, 14:21

The general answer is... No. No one is going to hold your hand.

Obviously you will get the information on where to go (address), but how etc. is something you really need figure out on your own (or together with the other 20-50 participants, who face the same situation). The Vulcanus program expects people who are mature and capable enough to organize their own affairs and don't need a mommy. Support is always available if there are major problems, but they can't help you with every little thing, including going to the doctor or picking the right washing powder. So yes, especially the first few days are pretty challenging, when you might not have internet or other things.

1) Yes, you fly alone, unless you find some other Vulcanus person taking the same flight. I happened to meet up with two other people in Doha, but that was simply to not be so bored on a 17h journey and a nice coincidence.
2) They tell you the address. Figure the rest out on your own.


PS: In case you haven't sent your application yet, rather spent that time on improving every aspect of it, instead of trying to figure out things which are only relevant once you are selected for the program. Sounds harsh, but its simply my advice to not get too caught up.

Edit PPS: And typically these questions are also answered in the 'selected participants' forum. Not sure if you can view its content however.
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
cona11
Posts: 22
Joined: 08 Dec 2016, 10:45
Been thanked: 2 times
Status: Offline

Re: Queries about arrival to Japan

Postby cona11 » 03 Jan 2017, 16:47

yez wrote:The general answer is... No. No one is going to hold your hand.

Obviously you will get the information on where to go (address), but how etc. is something you really need figure out on your own (or together with the other 20-50 participants, who face the same situation). The Vulcanus program expects people who are mature and capable enough to organize their own affairs and don't need a mommy. Support is always available if there are major problems, but they can't help you with every little thing, including going to the doctor or picking the right washing powder. So yes, especially the first few days are pretty challenging, when you might not have internet or other things.

1) Yes, you fly alone, unless you find some other Vulcanus person taking the same flight. I happened to meet up with two other people in Doha, but that was simply to not be so bored on a 17h journey and a nice coincidence.
2) They tell you the address. Figure the rest out on your own.


PS: In case you haven't sent your application yet, rather spent that time on improving every aspect of it, instead of trying to figure out things which are only relevant once you are selected for the program. Sounds harsh, but its simply my advice to not get too caught up.

Edit PPS: And typically these questions are also answered in the 'selected participants' forum. Not sure if you can view its content however.


Yes, I just wanted to know what happens when you arrive, obviously they do not want people who don't know how to develop theirselves abroad. I mean the first day just because you can not have internet (but I think you can buy a SIM card at the airport).

1)Yes, I was thinking of how boring is flying so many hours.
2) Okay!
PS: I am not going to apply this year, I am hoping to apply next year(my last year of university). Yeah, I am thankful of your advices so don't worry
Sorry for any inconvenience! Thanks you! :D
PS2: I can not find that forum =/
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)
Posts: 91
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 17:35
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 19 times
Status: Offline

Re: Queries about arrival to Japan

Postby yez » 03 Jan 2017, 17:54

cona11 wrote:Yes, I just wanted to know what happens when you arrive, obviously they do not want people who don't know how to develop theirselves abroad. I mean the first day just because you can not have internet (but I think you can buy a SIM card at the airport).

1)Yes, I was thinking of how boring is flying so many hours.
2) Okay!
PS: I am not going to apply this year, I am hoping to apply next year(my last year of university). Yeah, I am thankful of your advices so don't worry
Sorry for any inconvenience! Thanks you! :D
PS2: I can not find that forum =/


Might be hidden then for non-selected after all then, as it might contain confidential information.
Well...the first two days are pretty organized (with introduction events) and moving to your respective dorms. Afterwards its about attending school, so its pretty routine.
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
cona11
Posts: 22
Joined: 08 Dec 2016, 10:45
Been thanked: 2 times
Status: Offline

Re: Queries about arrival to Japan

Postby cona11 » 03 Jan 2017, 19:43

yez wrote:
cona11 wrote:Yes, I just wanted to know what happens when you arrive, obviously they do not want people who don't know how to develop theirselves abroad. I mean the first day just because you can not have internet (but I think you can buy a SIM card at the airport).

1)Yes, I was thinking of how boring is flying so many hours.
2) Okay!
PS: I am not going to apply this year, I am hoping to apply next year(my last year of university). Yeah, I am thankful of your advices so don't worry
Sorry for any inconvenience! Thanks you! :D
PS2: I can not find that forum =/


Might be hidden then for non-selected after all then, as it might contain confidential information.
Well...the first two days are pretty organized (with introduction events) and moving to your respective dorms. Afterwards its about attending school, so its pretty routine.

Yeah, I think the same thing.
That's good! I mean something like that.
Who give you the keys of your apartment? The landlord give it to you when you arrive to your adress?
Sorry for asking even when I'm not going to apply this year, I am very curious.
Thanks you !
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)
Posts: 91
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 17:35
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 19 times
Status: Offline

Re: Queries about arrival to Japan

Postby yez » 04 Jan 2017, 13:36

Since we all live/lived in different dorms, everyone has a unique experience. Typically your supervisor picks you up at some point, and typically each dorm has a dorm manager. Experience varies.

Since you are interested in daily life questions, I suggest you simply read some of the blogs former/current participants have: viewtopic.php?f=114806&t=2332158
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
cona11
Posts: 22
Joined: 08 Dec 2016, 10:45
Been thanked: 2 times
Status: Offline

Re: Queries about arrival to Japan

Postby cona11 » 05 Jan 2017, 15:58

yez wrote:Since we all live/lived in different dorms, everyone has a unique experience. Typically your supervisor picks you up at some point, and typically each dorm has a dorm manager. Experience varies.

Since you are interested in daily life questions, I suggest you simply read some of the blogs former/current participants have: viewtopic.php?f=114806&t=2332158

Oh, I understand. Thanks you so much! I am very interested in that blogs!

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests