Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Final year eligibility ?

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

DavidC

Final year eligibility ?

Postby DavidC » 11 Jan 2017, 09:08

Hello, my name is David and I am really interested in this program. I am currently in my 1st year for my Master degree and I don't think I will be able to apply for 2017-2018.

I wish to know if I can apply next year as I will be in my final year. I saw somewhere that final year PhD are not eligible to apply, so I just want make sure I won't lose my chance if I don't apply this year.

I have some commitments in a project for 12 months, this being one of the reasons I may not apply this year, but it is not set in stone.

Another question I have is about the grant. I read in FAQ that the first payment will be done in September. This would mean, in case I am chosen by a company, that I have to pay for my plane tickets and get the money back at a later date. Is this true?

Thank you!
Airdawg
Joe Average

Re: Final year eligibility ?

Postby Airdawg » 11 Jan 2017, 16:54

Hi DavidC and welcome!

You are indeed eligible to apply while you are doing a masters regardless of the year you're enrolled in. This "last year PhDs" rule is a new one afaik, and I've only seen it mentioned on the Centre's website a few days ago.

I might've applied too if it weren't in for a similar 2 year project commitment, so I know how it feels. Look at the bright side though, a long (and complex, I assume) project like yours will have a good impact on your experience, and subsequently on your chances of getting shortlisted and selected. I say DO apply next year if you get the chance :)

Regarding the grant, I'm not really up to date on info, but last I remember (based on other people's expeiences on this forum), you had to pay for: plane tickets to/from Brussels and Tokyo, some form of Insurance, and you also had to be able to rely on your own funds the first couple of days in Tokyo. I might be wrong though. Someone from this year or last years could give you more accurate info.

Spor :)
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Re: Final year eligibility ?

Postby yez » 11 Jan 2017, 17:28

Airdawg wrote:Hi DavidC and welcome!

Regarding the grant, I'm not really up to date on info, but last I remember (based on other people's expeiences on this forum), you had to pay for: plane tickets to/from Brussels and Tokyo, some form of Insurance, and you also had to be able to rely on your own funds the first couple of days in Tokyo. I might be wrong though. Someone from this year or last years could give you more accurate info.

Spor :)

Insurance could be deducted from the first installment. Not sure if there was any way to get more cash upfront.
So ye, basically be prepared to have some money ready for all the flight tickets and first days.
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”