Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Letter of motivation - word count

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

FFX

Letter of motivation - word count

Postby FFX » 17 Jan 2017, 20:50

So as I am putting the finishing touches on my letter, I wondered how many words you guys have in your letters.
I am currently at around 800, but I believe that some sentences will have to be kicked out for better readability.

So how many words have you got?
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Re: Letter of motivation - word count

Postby yez » 17 Jan 2017, 21:33

Interesting question, what do you hope to measure by that? I had roughly 700 and that pretty much filled the space on an A4 paper with 12pt.

If you already feel there is a sentence you can kick out for better readability, do it! Don't leave a single word, which does not add any value to what you are trying to say. Sure, there is some slack to make things sound nicer than a bullet point list, but read it through and mark everything which you could technically leave out, without changing content/meaning (too much). And either leave it at that, or write something new, which you haven't said yet :)
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
FFX

Postby FFX » 17 Jan 2017, 22:46

yez wrote:Interesting question, what do you hope to measure by that?

Nothing really. I was just wondering how much people have to say about themselves and their motivation.

yez wrote:there is a sentence you can kick out for better readability, do it! Don't leave a single word, which does not add any value to what you are trying to say. Sure, there is some slack to make things sound nicer than a bullet point list, but read it through and mark everything which you could technically leave out, without changing content/meaning (too much). And either leave it at that, or write something new, which you haven't said yet :)

Well, it is pretty hard to get the point across on a single page and not end up in a single massive chunk of text. But I guess I'll have to manage just like everybody else :?
arxakoulini

Postby arxakoulini » 17 Jan 2017, 23:08

Mine is 688 words and 4,308 characters with 12pt and some margins...
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 18 Jan 2017, 01:01

FFX wrote:

Nothing really. I was just wondering how much people have to say about themselves and their motivation.

That's kind of the thing. One can use a lot of words and basically say nothing about themselves or their motivation. In that sense, the number of words one used is pretty arbitrary. :)

FFX wrote:
yez wrote:there is a sentence you can kick out for better readability, do it! Don't leave a single word, which does not add any value to what you are trying to say. Sure, there is some slack to make things sound nicer than a bullet point list, but read it through and mark everything which you could technically leave out, without changing content/meaning (too much). And either leave it at that, or write something new, which you haven't said yet :)

Well, it is pretty hard to get the point across on a single page and not end up in a single massive chunk of text. But I guess I'll have to manage just like everybody else :?

Just keep reiterating and give it other people to read. General advice, keep a clear structure. Think about what "points" you want to talk about, bring them in a good logical order, so if they are interdependent that they support each other. Nothing worse than a statement, saying things like "I am great in XYZ"/"A strong minded person" etc, but not offering some "proof".

But then...I read some vastly different motivation letters from other selected participants here in ViJ and other programs. They all differ, sometimes drastically - so don't fret about what other people do/say. In case of ViJ, your personal way will be good enough I guess :)
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
FFX

Postby FFX » 20 Jan 2017, 17:16

yez wrote:
FFX wrote:

That's kind of the thing. One can use a lot of words and basically say nothing about themselves or their motivation. In that sense, the number of words one used is pretty arbitrary. :)

FFX wrote:

Just keep reiterating and give it other people to read. General advice, keep a clear structure. Think about what "points" you want to talk about, bring them in a good logical order, so if they are interdependent that they support each other. Nothing worse than a statement, saying things like "I am great in XYZ"/"A strong minded person" etc, but not offering some "proof".

But then...I read some vastly different motivation letters from other selected participants here in ViJ and other programs. They all differ, sometimes drastically - so don't fret about what other people do/say. In case of ViJ, your personal way will be good enough I guess :)

Thank you for your answer, I managed to improve my letter (at least I think so?) based on your hints.

I just gave my application to the post office, however they already set their stamp date to the 21.
The post office lady said she will revert it for me after closing hours, to stamp my letter, but can I really trust on that?
Do you think an E-Mail to the centre can prevent them to discard my application (if she should forget), if I can provide the post office receipt?
On the other hand, that does not really say anything except the date and the price paid, urgh . :?

Anyway, gl to all.

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”