Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Applying for a different than suggested traineeship

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

Tiskar
Shortlisted Member

Applying for a different than suggested traineeship

Postby Tiskar » 23 Feb 2017, 13:54

Hello everyone!

I have been short-listed and they suggested a matching traineeship that I think does not totally match my profile, since I have seen a different one that totally suits me. What are the consequences of applying for a different traineeship than the one they suggested for you? Will you have it harder to be chosen or do you have the same opportunities?
I don't know if the suggestion means that you have more chance of being selected, and if you apply for a different one you are competing against people more prepared than you, and that's why they didn't suggest it for you, even though your profile fits better there.

Thank you.
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Re: Applying for a different than suggested traineeship

Postby yez » 23 Feb 2017, 15:09

This question has been answered before (on more than one occasion i think), so guys use the forum search ;)

e.g.: viewtopic.php?f=114806&t=2332150&p=20649961#p20649961

(at least i assume it should be viewable for you...?)
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
Yui
Active participant (16-17)

Postby Yui » 23 Feb 2017, 15:10

Apply for the topic you would enjoy working on for 8 months. Also, I think it would be better to apply for the companies which have been a part of this programme for a long time. Chances are scenario from the last year might happen again and you might loose your valuable year in Japan just like that.
Ilias95
Shortlisted Member

Postby Ilias95 » 23 Feb 2017, 15:14

Yui wrote:Chances are scenario from the last year might happen again and you might loose your valuable year in Japan just like that.

Could you explain this a bit more detailed please?
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 23 Feb 2017, 15:27

Ilias95 wrote:
Yui wrote:Chances are scenario from the last year might happen again and you might loose your valuable year in Japan just like that.

Could you explain this a bit more detailed please?

Not sure about his specific case, but it has happened in the past, that companies drop out (short-notice). Happened in my year to a guy, however, the EUJAP Center fixed him up with a new spot - but that is really not something you can always hope for.

So, if you go with NTT, e.g., they are very unlikely to drop out, vs. a start up/company joining for the first time. Changing a well-suited spot just for that reason though, might go to far.
Tiskar
Shortlisted Member

Postby Tiskar » 23 Feb 2017, 17:22

yez wrote:This question has been answered before (on more than one occasion i think), so guys use the forum search ;)

e.g.: viewtopic.php?f=114806&t=2332150&p=20649961#p20649961

(at least i assume it should be viewable for you...?)

Sorry, my bad.

After reading all the posts I think I am going to change the traineeship, since many people do it too. Can I see in the short-list how many people have been recommended for a specific traineeship? Or only the number of people short-listed? By the way, I didn't receive the link with the short-list, so if anyone can PM me and send me the link I would be very grateful.

Thank you!
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 23 Feb 2017, 19:37

Tiskar wrote:Sorry, my bad.

After reading all the posts I think I am going to change the traineeship, since many people do it too. Can I see in the short-list how many people have been recommended for a specific traineeship? Or only the number of people short-listed? By the way, I didn't receive the link with the short-list, so if anyone can PM me and send me the link I would be very grateful.

Thank you!

No worries, just saying you can already find a knowledge around here :). No, you cant see how many people per internship. Shortlist only contains the names of the shortlisted people (which is why its confidential).

I think typically its around 4-5 people per internship, very evenly distributed.
zaragui
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby zaragui » 23 Feb 2017, 22:32

Yui wrote: Chances are scenario from the last year might happen again and you might loose your valuable year in Japan just like that.

I didn't know my case was already famous amongst people in your year! haha Indeed, I was the guy that got his internship cancelled 1 week before the pre-departure briefing :mrgreen: However, this was the first case in 10 or 15 years or something, so don't make that your decision criteria. Just go for what you think is right for you and you should be fine.

@yez: nice signature <3
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 23 Feb 2017, 23:31

zaragui wrote:
Yui wrote: Chances are scenario from the last year might happen again and you might loose your valuable year in Japan just like that.

I didn't know my case was already famous amongst people in your year! haha Indeed, I was the guy that got his internship cancelled 1 week before the pre-departure briefing :mrgreen: However, this was the first case in 10 or 15 years or something, so don't make that your decision criteria. Just go for what you think is right for you and you should be fine.

@yez: nice signature <3

Then again...rumor has it, that the company heard that zaragui is a massive otaku and wouldn't want to take the risk... As a consequence the eu-japan centre imposed new guidelines to avoid otakus from now on.
zaragui
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby zaragui » 24 Feb 2017, 09:58

yez wrote:Then again...rumor has it, that the company heard that zaragui is a massive otaku and wouldn't want to take the risk... As a consequence the eu-japan centre imposed new guidelines to avoid otakus from now on.

Yui
Active participant (16-17)

Postby Yui » 24 Feb 2017, 10:04

What I wanted to say is that I think it's better to pick a company that had been in this programme before. Last year we had so many positions offered from some new companies but I don't see those companies on the map now... you should check vij maps is all I'm saying. One more thing - timing makes a differece in all possible ways - pick the company that reacts faster than the others. And the last thing - most of the people who apply for this programme don't know about this forum before they get to Japan. Good luck!
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 24 Feb 2017, 10:47

Yui wrote:And the last thing - most of the people who apply for this programme don't know about this forum before they get to Japan. Good luck!

So... statistically speaking you are more likely to become a participant, if you are not on this forum guys! :)

Yui wrote:What I wanted to say is that I think it's better to pick a company that had been in this programme before. Last year we had so many positions offered from some new companies but I don't see those companies on the map now... you should check vij maps is all I'm saying. One more thing - timing makes a differece in all possible ways - pick the company that reacts faster than the others.

True, Hitachi/NTT are "safer bets" in regards of consistent participation.
Fredy
Shortlisted Member

Postby Fredy » 24 Feb 2017, 11:11

Hey, I wrote mail to the Vulcanus office and this is the reply:

Dear student,
Suggestions of the selection committee were well balanced as per n of students per placement
Nonetheless we are sure that several students will move
So you can also feel free to move

Best
MR

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”