Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Commuting time to workplace?

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

gangan

Commuting time to workplace?

Postby gangan » 24 Feb 2017, 15:18

Hello everyone!

In another post I read many people lived 2 hours away from Tokyo, so going to the academy was a long trip. Does the same happen for the workplace? I can handle 4 hours commuting time a day for a few months but I doubt I can do that for an entire year. Also, If you lived more than an hour away from the workplace how did you cope with it?
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Re: Commuting time to workplace?

Postby yez » 24 Feb 2017, 15:40

I don't think anyone lived very far away from their workplace. Probably in most cases <45 min to get to their respective workplace, which I guess is pretty normal for a major city. Those living further out (Hitachi, Atsugi) not so far I guess. Sometimes I walked to work in about 30 mins.

Yes, some folks, especially NTT CSL lab people, are pretty far out with regards to school . We had -more- than 2 hours commuting one way. Not sure if it happened before, but my generation basically ditched the dorm (except for one guy who suffered for 4 months). Basically we found a shared apartment in Tokyo, right next to school. Not cheap, but quality of life drastically improved. I heard this year took up on our idea :).
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
Ktrn
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Re: Commuting time to workplace?

Postby Ktrn » 25 Feb 2017, 19:04

I lived ~8kms from my workplace in Hitachi, but my schedule was like this:
* 7:30 - leave the dorm and bike half the way to the bus stop
* 7:50 - get on a bus (there's only one to go with in the morning)
* 8:20-8:30 - arrive to work
* 8:50 - start working (bell rings)

So we spent a lot of time for a seemingly short trip, but you get used to it and it's actually nice to spend the time chatting with friends (also other than Vulcanus). :)
In comparison though, the Hitachinaka people lived only a short walk away from work.

But our dorm in Tokyo had a really nice location, only 5 stops from the school with the train.

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”