Dear fellow forum members, I would like to remind you about the confidential nature of the documents the Centre made available for us, thus I ask of you to refrain from posting links to the documents provided, especially the SHORTLIST and the list of HOST COMPANIES on the public part of the forums.

Thank you

––– Airdawg

Who Should I ask for my recommendation letter?

Vulcanus in Japan 2017-2018 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: yez, Ktrn

cona11

Who Should I ask for my recommendation letter?

Postby cona11 » 28 Feb 2017, 12:54

Hi! I am planning to apply for this traineeship next year but I am not sure who should I ask for the recommendation letter?
I have two options:
1) A professor who is a professorial chair of Toxicology and the President of the Spanish Association of Toxicology
2) A professor who is a professorial chair of Microbiology

I mean, I want to work in either a pharmaceutical company or a biotechnology company but I do not know If the field of researching of each professor is important.

P.S: Sorry for my English!
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Re: Who Should I ask for my recommendation letter?

Postby yez » 28 Feb 2017, 18:03

The field of the prof is certainly a bonus for the company, but I would ask the prof, who knows me and my work best.

If professor 1) only knows you from attending some courses of his (so basically your grades), and 2) from you doing research/thesis with him, 2) is able to formulate a much stronger opinion about you, your skillset, work attitude etc.

So, really the follow up question is - who knows you better (and positively). You can also ask both, and see what letters they write and compare.
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
cona11

Re: Who Should I ask for my recommendation letter?

Postby cona11 » 01 Mar 2017, 17:39

Mmmm I see... I thought about it but I concluded that both know me a kind of similar, even when I am a intern student of professor 2) so, I am going to ask both and compare the letters like you said. Thanks you so much !!!

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”