VinJ 20/21 applicants

Vulcanus in Japan 2018-2019 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: Ktrn, yez

Unicornslayer

Re: VinJ 20/21 applicants

Postby Unicornslayer » 17 Jan 2020, 12:34

What happens if the application arrives 1 day later :|
CacahuateLoco

Postby CacahuateLoco » 17 Jan 2020, 12:40

Unicornslayer wrote:What happens if the application arrives 1 day later :|

No problem. What matters is the date you sent it (that appears on the stamp in the letter - máx 20/01).

vagelis.papathomas wrote:
CacahuateLoco wrote:It must have a signature with your full name.

I signed with the first letter of my first name and then my surname. Would that be a reason to disqualify me? :(

Personally i wouldn't risk it since they specifically state full name. But if its done its done. Just hope for the best.
eisklat

Postby eisklat » 17 Jan 2020, 12:43

Another applicant here! 28 from Spain! I am finishing my second Bsc in Computer Science so, we will see what happens! i am pretty nervous about my studies, like, maybe a Bsc is not good enough if you compete agains a MS. But i have working experience so maybe it helps
Last edited by eisklat on 17 Jan 2020, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
eisklat

Postby eisklat » 17 Jan 2020, 12:49

tinaT wrote:Hi! I have another doubt :roll: Can I graduate before the start of the program? Because I should graduate this April, if all goes well.
Thank you and sorry for the anxiety ahaha

I'm pretty sure it says you must be enrolled until June minimum. So, you can't apply technically. However, if you get your document stating that you won't until june, it should be ok. They are not going to ask at your university.
elep37

Postby elep37 » 17 Jan 2020, 13:17

For the ones that already completed the Online Form: did you receive an email confirming that they received it? Because I completed and submitted the Online Form but I haven't received anything. I'm unsure wether that's normal or not, I don't know if they send those at all.
Giulia_F

Postby Giulia_F » 17 Jan 2020, 13:56

elep37 wrote:For the ones that already completed the Online Form: did you receive an email confirming that they received it? Because I completed and submitted the Online Form but I haven't received anything. I'm unsure wether that's normal or not, I don't know if they send those at all.

I didn't get any mail. However, from what I read in previous years' topics on this forum, they usually send a mail at the end of January to confirm the application arrived successfully. There were some people that didn't get that mail, though, even if they were shortlisted/accepted to the program in the end. Personally, I hope to at least get the "we got your application" mail, just to be more chill, because I'm already freaking out :lol:
vagelis.papathomas

Postby vagelis.papathomas » 17 Jan 2020, 13:59

CacahuateLoco wrote:Personally i wouldn't risk it since they specifically state full name. But if its done its done. Just hope for the best.

I sent an email and they were very supportive. They said that if there is a problem with the signature, they will just ask me to send them a scan.
elep37

Postby elep37 » 17 Jan 2020, 14:00

Giulia_F wrote:
elep37 wrote:For the ones that already completed the Online Form: did you receive an email confirming that they received it? Because I completed and submitted the Online Form but I haven't received anything. I'm unsure wether that's normal or not, I don't know if they send those at all.

I didn't get any mail. However, from what I read in previous years' topics on this forum, they usually send a mail at the end of January to confirm the application arrived successfully. There were some people that didn't get that mail, though, even if they were shortlisted/accepted to the program in the end. Personally, I hope to at least get the "we got your application" mail, just to be more chill, because I'm already freaking out :lol:

Ok, then I guess they don't send it at all.
The tracking shows that they received my documents yesterday, so I guess I might get that email soon. I'll update here if I do.
And relax! There's still a long way to go hahaha.
CacahuateLoco

Postby CacahuateLoco » 17 Jan 2020, 14:40

CacahuateLoco wrote:Personally i wouldn't risk it since they specifically state full name. But if its done its done. Just hope for the best.

I sent an email and they were very supportive. They said that if there is a problem with the signature, they will just ask me to send them a scan.

Nice, im glad there is no problem.

elep37 wrote:The tracking shows that they received my documents yesterday, so I guess I might get that email soon. I'll update here if I do.

Did you guys send the documents yourself, or through your university international relations office? Just curious.
Giulia_F

Postby Giulia_F » 17 Jan 2020, 14:51

CacahuateLoco wrote:Did you guys send the documents yourself, or through your university international relations office? Just curious.

I sent them myself! What about you?
zepo

Postby zepo » 17 Jan 2020, 14:55

Sent the form and documents, good luck everyone!
I count 76 positions available this year, is it more than previous years?
elep37

Postby elep37 » 17 Jan 2020, 15:02

CacahuateLoco wrote:

Nice, im glad there is no problem.

elep37 wrote:The tracking shows that they received my documents yesterday, so I guess I might get that email soon. I'll update here if I do.

Did you guys send the documents yourself, or through your university international relations office? Just curious.

I sent them myself, via registered mail. Took them about 1 week to arrive.
tinaT
Shortlisted Member

Postby tinaT » 17 Jan 2020, 19:01

zepo wrote:Sent the form and documents, good luck everyone!
I count 76 positions available this year, is it more than previous years?

Yes, last year were 60 positions :roll:
Poky
Selected Member

Postby Poky » 18 Jan 2020, 01:28

Keep in mind that not all positions are filled, they are just here so that you and them get more flexibility
The usual number of people they accept varies between 30-40 depending on year. This year it is 30 of us.
CacahuateLoco

Postby CacahuateLoco » 18 Jan 2020, 11:42

Giulia_F wrote:
CacahuateLoco wrote:Did you guys send the documents yourself, or through your university international relations office? Just curious.

I sent them myself! What about you?

I sent them through my university's office. But i don't know what difference does it make, if any ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Poky wrote:Keep in mind that not all positions are filled, they are just here so that you and them get more flexibility
The usual number of people they accept varies between 30-40 depending on year. This year it is 30 of us.

But there may even be more positions than the ones on the list right? I think I read somewhere that some companies don't like sharing their involvement.
Giulia_F

Postby Giulia_F » 18 Jan 2020, 15:34

Poky wrote:Keep in mind that not all positions are filled, they are just here so that you and them get more flexibility

Where did you read they're going to select 30 people this year? I don't recall reading this fact on the Vulcanus web page!
CacahuateLoco

Postby CacahuateLoco » 18 Jan 2020, 15:43

Giulia_F wrote:Where did you read they're going to select 30 people this year? I don't recall reading this fact on the Vulcanus web page!

He/she meant 19/20 (because that's the current programme - the ones already in japan). No one knows how many will be for 20/21
Mediotaku

Postby Mediotaku » 20 Jan 2020, 02:45

Hello, just asking for advice. I've just realized that there is a typo on the "Time spent abroad" section of my application form but I sent my documents yesterday. I passed it through a grammar checker but it didn't warn because the "wrong" word also exists. Should I send an email to the center warning about this or is not that important?
vagelis.papathomas

Postby vagelis.papathomas » 20 Jan 2020, 10:10

Mediotaku wrote:Hello, just asking for advice. I've just realized that there is a typo on the "Time spent abroad" section of my application form but I sent my documents yesterday. I passed it through a grammar checker but it didn't warn because the "wrong" word also exists. Should I send an email to the center warning about this or is not that important?

If there's just one or two typos in your text, I don't think it's important to let them know. Maybe they won't even notice.
If it alters the context a lot, though, maybe you should send a clarification email.
eisklat

Postby eisklat » 20 Jan 2020, 15:22

i have sent the documents finally. In the last day 8-) good luck for everyone. I hope i get shortisted at least.
Speenda

Postby Speenda » 20 Jan 2020, 18:31

eisklat wrote:i have sent the documents finally. In the last day 8-) good luck for everyone. I hope i get shortisted at least.

Well, you're not alone: I sent them today too! The last two days were very busy since I had some trouble with the medical certificate and the recommendation letter, but I managed to send all the documents this afternoon.
Does anyone of you know when the shortlist will be published, more or less?
ArthurK6
Shortlisted Member

Postby ArthurK6 » 20 Jan 2020, 18:35

Speenda wrote:Well, you're not alone: I sent them today too! The last two days were very busy since I had some trouble with the medical certificate and the recommendation letter, but I managed to send all the documents this afternoon.
Does anyone of you know when the shortlist will be published, more or less?

Last year I we got the shortlisting results around 21st of February .It should be around the same time this year as well.
MakesSense

Postby MakesSense » 21 Jan 2020, 11:13

Well since the deadline has passed, I wish you all good luck! Try to focus on something else since we'll be waiting for about a month now. I have Uni exams so that will keep me busy anyway!

I do feel a bit worried though since it's my very last chance!

Number of offers
2019/20: 60
2020/21: 76

Last year around 700 students applied and 30 were selected. Poky is right, usually 30-40 students get selected. So if there are 16 more offers this year, chances are that more than 30 students will be selected! Not necessarily but one can hope :)
elep37

Postby elep37 » 21 Jan 2020, 16:46

I received the confirmation email this morning. Short-listing results will be sent to us on 21st February, so exactly one month from now. Good luck to all!
vagelis.papathomas

Postby vagelis.papathomas » 21 Jan 2020, 19:45

elep37 wrote:I received the confirmation email this morning. Short-listing results will be sent to us on 21st February, so exactly one month from now. Good luck to all!

Confirmation from Vulcanus or from the courier service?
elep37

Postby elep37 » 21 Jan 2020, 20:06

elep37 wrote:I received the confirmation email this morning. Short-listing results will be sent to us on 21st February, so exactly one month from now. Good luck to all!

Confirmation from Vulcanus or from the courier service?

From Vulcanus. According to the courier the documents arrived last thursday, and I received the confirmation from Vulcanus today.
AsiaBergamini94
Shortlisted Member

Postby AsiaBergamini94 » 22 Jan 2020, 10:02

I sent my document on the 8th of January but the letter hasn't been delivered yet :evil: :evil: whyyyyyy
I asked the italian courier and then sent an email to vulcanus to clarify that yes, i sent my application in time, but no, it's not my fault if the courier didn't attemp a second delivery ...

I hope everyting goes for the best :roll: :roll:
paulacc

Postby paulacc » 22 Jan 2020, 12:56

AsiaBergamini94 wrote:I sent my document on the 8th of January but the letter hasn't been delivered yet :evil: :evil: whyyyyyy
I asked the italian courier and then sent an email to vulcanus to clarify that yes, i sent my application in time, but no, it's not my fault if the courier didn't attemp a second delivery ...

Hi Asia, I'm in the same situation! My courier attempted a delivery a while back. But I guess the courier informs the centre, and then someone from the centre will eventually go retrieve all these failed-to-deliver letters to the post office? :shock: Keep me posted if the vulcanus teams answers you!
tinaT
Shortlisted Member

Postby tinaT » 22 Jan 2020, 12:59

According the courier the documents arrived on 13th January, but I haven't received the email from Vulcanus yet.
From the courier it's written that the shipment has been signed by LULA, I don't understand :(
Giulia_F

Postby Giulia_F » 22 Jan 2020, 16:03

AsiaBergamini94 wrote:I sent my document on the 8th of January but the letter hasn't been delivered yet :evil: :evil: whyyyyyy

Hi Asia, I sent it through "Poste Italiane" as well! Which shipping method did you use? Because I used "Posta Prioritaria" and I sent it on the 16th, they said it would take around 3 working days to be delivered, and they gave me a tracking code, but I've been trying putting the code on the website for a couple of days and the shipping status is still "Prodotto non disponibile" (which means basically I'm not allowed to know the status of the shipping at the moment). Now, our national courier is not the best at all, so I hope my documents do not get lost :roll:

tinaT wrote:According the courier the documents arrived on 13th January, but I haven't received the email from Vulcanus yet.
From the courier it's written that the shipment has been signed by LULA, I don't understand :(

Hi Tina, which shipping method did you use?
tinaT
Shortlisted Member

Postby tinaT » 22 Jan 2020, 16:59

Giulia_F wrote:

Hi Asia, I sent it through "Poste Italiane" as well! Which shipping method did you use? Because I used "Posta Prioritaria" and I sent it on the 16th, they said it would take around 3 working days to be delivered, and they gave me a tracking code, but I've been trying putting the code on the website for a couple of days and the shipping status is still "Prodotto non disponibile" (which means basically I'm not allowed to know the status of the shipping at the moment). Now, our national courier is not the best at all, so I hope my documents do not get lost :roll:

tinaT wrote:According the courier the documents arrived on 13th January, but I haven't received the email from Vulcanus yet.

Hi Tina, which shipping method did you use?

My university sent my documents with DHL and then it sent me the code number to track the shipment.
I have written an email to Vulcanus and they have told me that they have received hundreds of applications, so we need to wait the confirmation email :(
eisklat

Postby eisklat » 22 Jan 2020, 18:59

guys, relax. otherwise you will die before the months passes LOL. There is nothing we can do anymore so whatever.
MakesSense

Postby MakesSense » 22 Jan 2020, 19:39

eisklat wrote:guys, relax. otherwise you will die before the months passes LOL. There is nothing we can do anymore so whatever.

Yeah take a chill pill everyone lol. You gotta have realistic expectations, don't be bummed out if you don't get selected/shortlisted. It's not the end of the world in the end :)
eisklat

Postby eisklat » 22 Jan 2020, 20:27

MakesSense wrote:
eisklat wrote:guys, relax. otherwise you will die before the months passes LOL. There is nothing we can do anymore so whatever.

Yeah take a chill pill everyone lol. You gotta have realistic expectations, don't be bummed out if you don't get selected/shortlisted. It's not the end of the world in the end :)

I think most of us expect to be at least shortlisted, but who knows. We don't know what kind of things are they analysing so just think you won't be and just wait for news. Don't count on this, like less than 5% get actually selected so... odds are against us.
Giulia_F

Postby Giulia_F » 22 Jan 2020, 20:42

Yeah, but I'd rather not be selected because of my application than be automatically rejected because my documents don't even get there! I'll start relaxing when the confirmation mail arrives lol from there on I'll have done everything in my power
Polaris

Postby Polaris » 22 Jan 2020, 21:07

paulacc wrote:

Hi Asia, I'm in the same situation! My courier attempted a delivery a while back. But I guess the courier informs the centre, and then someone from the centre will eventually go retrieve all these failed-to-deliver letters to the post office? :shock: Keep me posted if the vulcanus teams answers you!

Hi! Same here. They couldn't deliver the documents, so they are stored in the post office. I was afraid mine was the only one and they would forget about it, but if there are some more, someone should go and get them all.

If you have some news about this please keep us informed =)
MakesSense

Postby MakesSense » 23 Jan 2020, 09:33

eisklat wrote:
MakesSense wrote:

I think most of us expect to be at least shortlisted, but who knows. We don't know what kind of things are they analysing so just think you won't be and just wait for news. Don't count on this, like less than 5% get actually selected so... odds are against us.

Exactly, it's okay to be hopeful but the odds are the same no matter how hopeful/hyped you are :lol:
Around 17% to get shortlisted, and around 5% to actually get selected out of all applicants. But if you get shortlisted your chances to get selected increase to around 25% which is pretty decent.
Ilias95

Postby Ilias95 » 23 Jan 2020, 12:55

Polaris wrote:
paulacc wrote:

Hi! Same here. They couldn't deliver the documents, so they are stored in the post office. I was afraid mine was the only one and they would forget about it, but if there are some more, someone should go and get them all.

My documents also arrived today and they claim that they attempted a delivery at 06.47am. Next to this I can see the message "Recipient not there - Company closed". Really? At 06.47? Who would expect that they wouldn't be there? :roll:

Anyway, so I guess they'll go pick up everything eventually.
AsiaBergamini94
Shortlisted Member

Postby AsiaBergamini94 » 23 Jan 2020, 15:40

Giulia_F wrote:Hi Asia, I sent it through "Poste Italiane" as well! Which shipping method did you use? Because I used "Posta Prioritaria" and I sent it on the 16th, they said it would take around 3 working days to be delivered, and they gave me a tracking code, but I've been trying putting the code on the website for a couple of days and the shipping status is still "Prodotto non disponibile" (which means basically I'm not allowed to know the status of the shipping at the moment). Now, our national courier is not the best at all, so I hope my documents do not get lost :roll:

I sent it with raccomandata (senza ricevuta di ritorno), and to be honest I spent 12,70€ for the delivery and still they couldn't attempt a second delivery?? Like for real???? Next time I think I'll be going with some other courier... At least they try 2 times before storing the package/letter back at the delivery center!

paulacc wrote:Hi Asia, I'm in the same situation! My courier attempted a delivery a while back. But I guess the courier informs the centre, and then someone from the centre will eventually go retrieve all these failed-to-deliver letters to the post office? :shock: Keep me posted if the vulcanus teams answers you!

Seeing so many of you having this same problem I'm starting to think that the eu center is waiting on purpose before going to pick up the letters. I think they're waiting for all the letters to be delivered and only then they'll go pick them all up in bulk . It just make sense this way :lol:

In any case I'll keep you updated if I see my courier changing the status of the delivery (hopefully to "delivered" and not to "rejected" ^^") or if I get a mail from Vulcanus!
Giulia_F

Postby Giulia_F » 24 Jan 2020, 11:47

A mail arrived this morning: they received my application :D I'm so relieved! Now I'll be more relaxed for sure, and I'll try not to think too much about it until February 21st haha
CacahuateLoco

Postby CacahuateLoco » 24 Jan 2020, 20:55

Giulia_F wrote:A mail arrived this morning: they received my application :D I'm so relieved! Now I'll be more relaxed for sure, and I'll try not to think too much about it until February 21st haha

I still havent receieved any email confirming the reception of the application. But then again, my University sent it, so I dont have access to the postal office tracking. Did you get any info that the package was delivered, before receieving the email from the centre?

edit: spelling
Speenda

Postby Speenda » 25 Jan 2020, 11:07

Ilias95 wrote:
Polaris wrote:
paulacc wrote:

My documents also arrived today and they claim that they attempted a delivery at 06.47am. Next to this I can see the message "Recipient not there - Company closed". Really? At 06.47? Who would expect that they wouldn't be there? :roll:

Anyway, so I guess they'll go pick up everything eventually.

The same happened to me yesterday: they tried to deliver at 7:18 but the recipient was missing. I think (or at least I hope) they will retry on Monday.

For your information I sent the documents from Italy through PosteItaliane, using the "Posta Raccomandata Internazionale" option (i.e. tracked international shipping) with "Ricevuta di ritorno".

Giulia_F wrote:

In the postal office I was told that if you send something with Posta Prioritaria you cannot know the status of the shipping as soon as it leaves the country, so I think that your "Prodotto non disponibile" is what is displayed normally in this case.
Giulia_F

Postby Giulia_F » 25 Jan 2020, 14:19

Speenda wrote:In the postal office I was told that if you send something with Posta Prioritaria you cannot know the status of the shipping as soon as it leaves the country, so I think that your "Prodotto non disponibile" is what is displayed normally in this case.

Yes, it's the same they told me, but if I'm not wrong I should have been able to at least verify that the documents had left the country, but no informaton about it was present on Poste Italiane website! Anyway, they also told me "Raccomandata" takes longer than "Prioritaria", because of the tracking!

CacahuateLoco wrote:
Giulia_F wrote:A mail arrived this morning: they received my application :D I'm so relieved! Now I'll be more relaxed for sure, and I'll try not to think too much about it until February 21st haha

I still havent receieved any email confirming the reception of the application. But then again, my University sent it, so I dont have access to the postal office tracking. Did you get any info that the package was delivered, before receieving the email from the centre?

edit: spelling

Unfortunately I didn't, I tried to check my national courier's website but there were no information available, so I was very very relieved they sent me the mail because I was a bit worried. I think that maybe your university has access to the shipping information, so try to ask them, it's possible that they can check for you!

By the way, guys don't worry! I'm sure you'll all get the mail next week!
Unicornslayer

Postby Unicornslayer » 27 Jan 2020, 09:13

I've just received the confirmation email today.
I was sooooooooo worried. Huh
Polaris

Postby Polaris » 27 Jan 2020, 09:30

Unicornslayer wrote:I've just received the confirmation email today.

Me too, just got the email. I guess they went to the post office today to retrieve the applications that were not delivered. However, my tracking number still says that the documents are in the post office... So I am not completely relieved.

Anyway, I hope everyone waiting for the confirmation email gets it today.
paulacc

Postby paulacc » 27 Jan 2020, 09:41

Polaris wrote:

Me too, just got the email. I guess they went to the post office today to retrieve the applications that were not delivered. However, my tracking number still says that the documents are in the post office... So I am not completely relieved.

Same!! I got an email Friday at noon but courier says not delivered yet. I thought they sent the email only when they had all the documents but now I'm not sure :?
Polaris

Postby Polaris » 27 Jan 2020, 09:50

paulacc wrote:
Polaris wrote:

Same!! I got an email Friday at noon but courier says not delivered yet. I thought they sent the email only when they had all the documents but now I'm not sure :?

Let's hope they got everything and just our post companies are too lazy to update the status of the letter (which I think is possible for my post company...). It would not have taken so long if they didn't have to go and get the documents, because our email adresses were on the online application from the begining.
vagelis.papathomas

Postby vagelis.papathomas » 27 Jan 2020, 10:20

Polaris wrote:Let's hope they got everything and just our post companies are too lazy to update the status of the letter (which I think is possible for my post company...). It would not have taken so long if they didn't have to go and get the documents, because our email adresses were on the online application from the begining.

My documents arrived on Friday the 17th (signing was required) and I only got the email today. Don't worry, most companies take their time updating the tracking.
CacahuateLoco

Postby CacahuateLoco » 27 Jan 2020, 10:33

Still nothing on my end... I wasnt worried before, but now that you all got an email Im starting to be :?
vagelis.papathomas

Postby vagelis.papathomas » 27 Jan 2020, 14:49

CacahuateLoco wrote:Still nothing on my end... I wasnt worried before, but now that you all got an email Im starting to be :?

What does the tracking say? You can also email Vulcanus to check if they received it.

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”