Vulcanus programme during PhD

Vulcanus in Japan 2018-2019 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: Ktrn, yez

Speenda

Vulcanus programme during PhD

Postby Speenda » 13 Dec 2019, 19:39

Hi, I'm going to apply for a PhD in September. I read on the Vulcanus website that I can apply to the programme if I'm attending a PhD, but it is not clear what should I do in that case: will I "skip" a year of my PhD (i.e., supposing I'll apply to Vulcanus on my second PhD year, I will "begin" my second year when I'd come back from Japan) or should I both attend the programme and doing research at the same time?
Furthermore I'd like to know if everyone has taken part in the programme as a Mathematics student (both pure and applied) and whether there is any Japanese company that suits this particular field. Thank you very much :)
megawatt
Formerly Shortlisted Member (17-18)

Re: Vulcanus programme during PhD

Postby megawatt » 20 Jan 2020, 11:27

Hi Speenda, I am in the same situation... if I understand correctly, should you be selected, you have to pause your PhD for a year, because the content of the Japanese period cannot be included in the PhD project. You should see if your PhD course permits pauses for research purposes (mine at units doesn't so I could be forced to renounce to my PhD to participate.

I cannot help you for maths degree, tough. Good luck!

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”