Some nitty gritty details in the application form.

Vulcanus in Japan 2018-2019 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: Ktrn, yez

VVDB

Some nitty gritty details in the application form.

Postby VVDB » 16 Dec 2020, 22:09

Hi guys!

I'm currently filling out my forms but there are some nitpicks that I would like advise on. I tried to search the forums but didn't really find anything (I trust the mods will delete this post if I missed this stuff). Any help would be appreciated!

1-Application form:
-The fields for B-A1 and B-A2 seem to have the font 'comic sans' which seems odd. Should I change it?
-B-A19: Is this specifically for a master's thesis/end project or can I also include details on my bachelor's thesis and any large projects during some courses?
-C(work experience) : Should this include everything? My time spent as a stock boy in a supermarket and bartender hardly seem relevant
-F(Time spent abroad): I assume this is only for prolonged stays and not vacations? I did a few month long trips so that's why I'm asking.
-G(Additional info): If you read my form, you'll notice that I spent 7 years on my bachelor and masters instead of the usual 5, The reason for this is that I worked part time during my studies. Should this be included here? Or where else should I mention it besides my CV?
i-9(signature): REAL nitpick. For the online form, is it your last and first name or full name as per passport? And for the hand written one, name and signature or just signature?

6-System of grading & 8-Medical documents:
Is a dry clean doc with a few lines of text detailing the grading system/self declaration enough?

If it might be relevant, I'm a student enrolled in a Master of Physics. Currently doing my 6th year and in between my 4th and penultimate 5th official year.

With kind regards
__muon

Re: Some nitty gritty details in the application form.

Postby __muon » 17 Dec 2020, 11:08

HI! I am also applying this year and asked some of your questions (actually just one, but ok) directly to the representative of VinJ (here's their email if you need it: vulcanus@eu-japan.eu , they answer really quickly!).
- For the medical document they just told me to follow the instructions on the How To Apply document, so I suppose you just need the self-declaration stating the two points they describe. I think the same goes for the system of grading.
- B-A1 and B-A2 are indeed in comic sans, which i find hilarious, but in any case you can't change it because the macro is pre-compiled(?) so you can just write in the grey spaces and nothing else.
-G: I think you can include it here, or if you manage also in your cover letter.
- I-9: remember that you are compiling the form with your full name as per passport, so as an official document it must have the same names that you stated at the beginning.
I'm sorry I could help you with just these points, but I hope I was helpful!
VVDB

Postby VVDB » 17 Dec 2020, 11:31

Thanks mate! That at least clears up some of them.

Glad to hear that everyone apparently is stuck with comic sans there hahaha. Just need some clarification on C, F, 6&8 now and I'm finished :)
I'll follow your advise and mail them if nobody can clear it up in the next couple of days. Although I think it's useful to have it on the forums here as well.

Cheers!
Joytzi
Selected Member

Postby Joytzi » 17 Dec 2020, 19:41

These are my personal opinion (not knowing something more) and what I thought when I wrote my application. It is in your hands if you will follow these or not.
C)As for the working experience I think that they would be more interested to your working experience related to your field of study, not part time jobs like babysitting or bartender, but you can mention it in your CV better, not to your motivation letter.
F)As for the trips they mean educational trips like Erasmus, Comenius, Erasmus plus or trips related to workshops or seminars. Holiday trips I dont think that count. But I guess it wont harm to be mentioned.
Everything related to your personal info like name,age etc should be as per passport or id.
As for self decleration you need to find a doctor that will assure that your are complitely healthy, not having a deadly desease and that you dont need the help of other people.
I think I answer to most of your questions. At the end you need to decide what must be written or not to your application.
Kasia
Selected Member

Postby Kasia » 01 Jan 2021, 21:48

Joytzi wrote:These are my personal opinion (not knowing something more) and what I thought when I wrote my application. It is in your hands if you will follow these or not.
C)As for the working experience I think that they would be more interested to your working experience related to your field of study, not part time jobs like babysitting or bartender, but you can mention it in your CV better, not to your motivation letter.
F)As for the trips they mean educational trips like Erasmus, Comenius, Erasmus plus or trips related to workshops or seminars. Holiday trips I dont think that count. But I guess it wont harm to be mentioned.
Everything related to your personal info like name,age etc should be as per passport or id.
As for self decleration you need to find a doctor that will assure that your are complitely healthy, not having a deadly desease and that you dont need the help of other people.
I think I answer to most of your questions. At the end you need to decide what must be written or not to your application.

Now that's interesting because I have a completely opposite opinion and therefore my application looked different:
C) people who apply for the programme are students, therefore if I was in a menagement of such programme it would be crucial for me to know any working experience of a candidate. Some people who apply do not have any field experience because they simply had no time to gain such but it doen't mean that their internship would be going to be their first ever working experience. I also remember that in my form I had to specify if something was a full time job, part-time, volounteering, etc., so it looked like they were trying to get anything(?).
F) again, since it is about an internship abroad, I would prefer to know any international "experience" of a candidate. I was in only 1 country for Erasmus but in way more for trips, therefore my overall experience is not equal to a person who has been abroad only once while writing only about Erasmus would make me look like that. What if a person has been to Japan? Wouldn't that be a plus in organizers' eyes regardless the purpose?

Looks like those points should be more specified by the Centre because it looks like it's too open to interpretation. My initial idea was to draw to them as accurate picture of me as possible and yours was to make the most accurate candidate profile for a position possible and we were both accepted lol.
ViJ 19/20

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”