Many letters of recommendation

Vulcanus in Japan 2018-2019 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: Ktrn, yez

Malchior
Posts: 4
Joined: 13 Dec 2017, 23:42
Status: Offline

Many letters of recommendation

Postby Malchior » 14 Dec 2017, 00:17

Hello everyone :)
In the application form there is only place for one letter of recommendation. What should I do if I have few of them? Is this even allowed to have more than one? Thanks for answering :)
User avatar
TheGedas
Posts: 52
Joined: 24 Feb 2017, 13:40
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby TheGedas » 14 Dec 2017, 18:52

Hello, a participant from previous year is talking (thought only shortlisted yet not selected one).
As I remember additional letters of recommendation goes as an attachment. It should be stated somewhere in the application files. PLEASE READ EVERYTHING WITH ATTENTION, there is important information hidden in just few words or between the lines.
*flies away*

P.S. in my opinion the second recommendation is not needed.
User avatar
Nicolak95
Posts: 5
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 15:54
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby Nicolak95 » 15 Dec 2017, 22:27

I remember last year someone emailed about it and they said the maximum allowed was two :)
Malchior
Posts: 4
Joined: 13 Dec 2017, 23:42
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby Malchior » 16 Dec 2017, 09:17

Thank you for your answers,
You've got me quite worried. The person who supervises the Vulcanus programme in my university told me that it is probably better to submit more letters. I suppose I should contact her and clarify the matter.
Thanks again :)
User avatar
Fredy
Posts: 34
Joined: 24 Feb 2017, 10:56
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby Fredy » 29 Dec 2017, 11:02

I wrote her an e-mail and she said that you can send 2 letters but recommended number is 1.
emmepanta
Selected Member
Posts: 19
Joined: 09 Nov 2017, 14:53
Has thanked: 2 times
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby emmepanta » 08 Jan 2018, 02:18

Dear all,

Any past applicants who knows how important is for the recommendation letter to be original?
Anyone who got admitted even with a scanned letter of recommendation?

Sending a scanned version of the original letter (physical original document currently in another country) would be considered a document NOT original?
In other words, should I ask my referee to send the original document by mail post to the country where I currently live?

Thank you for your precious insight,

Matteo.
pietro93
Shortlisted Member
Posts: 42
Joined: 21 Feb 2016, 17:59
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby pietro93 » 09 Jan 2018, 14:52

emmepanta wrote:Dear all,

Any past applicants who knows how important is for the recommendation letter to be original?
Anyone who got admitted even with a scanned letter of recommendation?

Sending a scanned version of the original letter (physical original document currently in another country) would be considered a document NOT original?
In other words, should I ask my referee to send the original document by mail post to the country where I currently live?

Thank you for your precious insight,

Matteo.


I had the exact same problem and yes, I asked my professor to re-sign a letter he wrote me when I applied the first time and send it to me. Either that or you get a new letter from a professor at your current university.
User avatar
xPhYSiCsx
Posts: 18
Joined: 02 Feb 2016, 14:22
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby xPhYSiCsx » 13 Jan 2018, 14:12

Where should you attach that extra letters of recommendation? I think that just few weeks ago, there was an instruction on this link https://www.eu-japan.eu/sites/default/f ... y_docs.pdf that every extra document should be put in a separate folder in a big folder but now that is gone.

Where do you attach that extra letter? I will get mine from the Institute and I don't know where should I attach it.
pedro.mfm
Posts: 7
Joined: 05 Jan 2018, 23:50
Been thanked: 1 time
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby pedro.mfm » 13 Jan 2018, 18:35

xPhYSiCsx wrote:Where should you attach that extra letters of recommendation? I think that just few weeks ago, there was an instruction on this link https://www.eu-japan.eu/sites/default/f ... y_docs.pdf that every extra document should be put in a separate folder in a big folder but now that is gone.

Where do you attach that extra letter? I will get mine from the Institute and I don't know where should I attach it.

The lady at my university attached mine all together in the position for rec letters. She said they wouldn't mind either way
User avatar
xPhYSiCsx
Posts: 18
Joined: 02 Feb 2016, 14:22
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby xPhYSiCsx » 15 Jan 2018, 23:43

pedro.mfm wrote:
xPhYSiCsx wrote:Where should you attach that extra letters of recommendation? I think that just few weeks ago, there was an instruction on this link https://www.eu-japan.eu/sites/default/f ... y_docs.pdf that every extra document should be put in a separate folder in a big folder but now that is gone.

Where do you attach that extra letter? I will get mine from the Institute and I don't know where should I attach it.

The lady at my university attached mine all together in the position for rec letters. She said they wouldn't mind either way


A gentleman in my Uni said the same. How did she attach them? By using a staple or a paperclip?
pedro.mfm
Posts: 7
Joined: 05 Jan 2018, 23:50
Been thanked: 1 time
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby pedro.mfm » 16 Jan 2018, 15:12

xPhYSiCsx wrote:
pedro.mfm wrote:
xPhYSiCsx wrote:Where should you attach that extra letters of recommendation? I think that just few weeks ago, there was an instruction on this link https://www.eu-japan.eu/sites/default/f ... y_docs.pdf that every extra document should be put in a separate folder in a big folder but now that is gone.

Where do you attach that extra letter? I will get mine from the Institute and I don't know where should I attach it.

The lady at my university attached mine all together in the position for rec letters. She said they wouldn't mind either way


A gentleman in my Uni said the same. How did she attach them? By using a staple or a paperclip?


I'm not sure. She said she would take care of the rest abd I was free to go
User avatar
xPhYSiCsx
Posts: 18
Joined: 02 Feb 2016, 14:22
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby xPhYSiCsx » 16 Jan 2018, 16:37

pedro.mfm wrote:
xPhYSiCsx wrote:
pedro.mfm wrote:The lady at my university attached mine all together in the position for rec letters. She said they wouldn't mind either way


A gentleman in my Uni said the same. How did she attach them? By using a staple or a paperclip?


I'm not sure. She said she would take care of the rest abd I was free to go


Ok. I have a question not regarding the theme so if you know it or someone else knows, please respond.
I will send my letter to Bruxelles on 18th January. If my post office will be slow and the letter comes to Bruxelles 21st (Monday), will I be declined?
User avatar
xPhYSiCsx
Posts: 18
Joined: 02 Feb 2016, 14:22
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby xPhYSiCsx » 16 Jan 2018, 16:55

I mean 22nd
vin.center
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby vin.center » 16 Jan 2018, 17:36

No, it is written that you have to send them not after the 20th of January. This means that is not a problem if the letter arrives after the 20th.
pietro93
Shortlisted Member
Posts: 42
Joined: 21 Feb 2016, 17:59
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby pietro93 » 17 Jan 2018, 16:38

xPhYSiCsx wrote:
pedro.mfm wrote:
xPhYSiCsx wrote:
A gentleman in my Uni said the same. How did she attach them? By using a staple or a paperclip?


I'm not sure. She said she would take care of the rest abd I was free to go


Ok. I have a question not regarding the theme so if you know it or someone else knows, please respond.
I will send my letter to Bruxelles on 18th January. If my post office will be slow and the letter comes to Bruxelles 21st (Monday), will I be declined?


As long as the postmark says you sent it before the 20th, even if they get it in early february it should be fine ^^
User avatar
xPhYSiCsx
Posts: 18
Joined: 02 Feb 2016, 14:22
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby xPhYSiCsx » 19 Jan 2018, 18:55

pietro93 wrote:
xPhYSiCsx wrote:
pedro.mfm wrote:
I'm not sure. She said she would take care of the rest abd I was free to go


Ok. I have a question not regarding the theme so if you know it or someone else knows, please respond.
I will send my letter to Bruxelles on 18th January. If my post office will be slow and the letter comes to Bruxelles 21st (Monday), will I be declined?


As long as the postmark says you sent it before the 20th, even if they get it in early february it should be fine ^^

Before 20th on not after 20th? Does 20th still counts? Because I have managed to get my documents today and I'm sending 1st thing in the morning.
User avatar
Tino
Posts: 5
Joined: 29 Dec 2017, 02:46
Has thanked: 3 times
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby Tino » 19 Jan 2018, 19:11

It will still count if you send them tomorrow.
pietro93
Shortlisted Member
Posts: 42
Joined: 21 Feb 2016, 17:59
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Status: Offline

Re: Many letters of recommendation

Postby pietro93 » 20 Jan 2018, 10:05

xPhYSiCsx wrote:
pietro93 wrote:
xPhYSiCsx wrote:
Ok. I have a question not regarding the theme so if you know it or someone else knows, please respond.
I will send my letter to Bruxelles on 18th January. If my post office will be slow and the letter comes to Bruxelles 21st (Monday), will I be declined?


As long as the postmark says you sent it before the 20th, even if they get it in early february it should be fine ^^

Before 20th on not after 20th? Does 20th still counts? Because I have managed to get my documents today and I'm sending 1st thing in the morning.


20th is the latest possible date, so send it by today!

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests