Blogs and best wishes!

Vulcanus in Japan 2018-2019 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: Ktrn, yez

hidesagred97
Shortlisted Member

Blogs and best wishes!

Postby hidesagred97 » 24 Aug 2019, 10:35

Hi al!!

It´s been a while since the forumn is quite quiet in summer. I would like to ask a few thing to our selected members!

How are you? Are you nervous? How it was the meeting in Brussels? Are you already prepared?

The other thing I would like to ask is if any of you will write a blog about his/her experience during the ViJ 19/20. I´ve loved some blogs of the former students and I would like to know about your "adventures" in Japan.

Best wishes and good luck!

Edit: I dont know if this is the correct place to put this thread or should be moved to Shortlisted/Selected, but I thought this could be interesting to everyone.
mario_meissner
Selected Member

Re: Blogs and best wishes!

Postby mario_meissner » 30 Oct 2019, 10:26

Hello!

Sorry for the silence, I guess we all stopped checking this forum after the selection process ended ;/

We've been in Japan for 2 months now, and it's going very well. The language school is very good, we are all learning a ton of Japanese really quickly. Most of us also already visited our respective offices, and I've only heard good things.

I really really really wanted to start a blog, but you know how that goes, its always easy to say but difficult to actually do. If one day I write something I'll come back here and post it, promise!

Good luck with your application for next year!
Cheers, Mario.
mario_meissner
Selected Member

Postby mario_meissner » 29 Feb 2020, 08:27

Hello there again!

As promised, I started writing about my experience here, you can check it out here.

Feel free to leave some feedback in the comments!
hidesagred97
Shortlisted Member

Postby hidesagred97 » 01 Mar 2020, 12:00

Many thanks for sharing your experience! I hope you continue to write when you are in the mood!!
Speenda

Postby Speenda » 01 Mar 2020, 14:33

mario_meissner wrote:Hello there again!

As promised, I started writing about my experience here, you can check it out here.

Feel free to leave some feedback in the comments!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, it's very interesting and I can't wait for other posts!
If I may ask you, are there any "things you'd have liked to know" before applying and then participating in this programme? Any tips for 2020 (and next years) candidates?
mario_meissner
Selected Member

Postby mario_meissner » 04 Mar 2020, 23:41

Speenda wrote:Thank you for sharing your experience with us, it's very interesting and I can't wait for other posts!
If I may ask you, are there any "things you'd have liked to know" before applying and then participating in this programme? Any tips for 2020 (and next years) candidates?

I can mention two things that I was kinda already prepared for but wish everyone else to know as well:

- It's much better if you already know intermediate Japanese:
For the language school, it will allow you to enter a more advanced, possibly business oriented class. For the internship, it will allow you to be more flexible, become closer to your coworkers, etc. The overall communication improves a ton, which in term helps improve the quality of your working experience. Start studying now!

- The scholarship is very badly balanced:
The first 4 months, during which you will spend the most money (transportation, travel, apartment stuff), you get the least. Many people ran out of money in December / January. It gets better afterwards, and you will end up having a lot in the bank account by August.
Speenda

Postby Speenda » 05 Mar 2020, 08:00

mario_meissner wrote:
I can mention two things that I was kinda already prepared for but wish everyone else to know as well:

- It's much better if you already know intermediate Japanese:
For the language school, it will allow you to enter a more advanced, possibly business oriented class. For the internship, it will allow you to be more flexible, become closer to your coworkers, etc. The overall communication improves a ton, which in term helps improve the quality of your working experience. Start studying now!

- The scholarship is very badly balanced:
The first 4 months, during which you will spend the most money (transportation, travel, apartment stuff), you get the least. Many people ran out of money in December / January. It gets better afterwards, and you will end up having a lot in the bank account by August.

These are two things that corcern me a lot, to be fair, particularly the latter (I've little knowledge of Japanese language too, but at least I can study it a bit during summer), given that I haven't much money (I think I will manage to pay my plane ticket, but without much left). Anyway, thank you so much for this!
Poky
Selected Member

Postby Poky » 05 Mar 2020, 11:53

Let me add my two cents

About studying japanese this is the things I would have done if I returned back to the March 2019
If you have a small or nonexistant knowledge of Japanese before this program, I would highly suggest starting by learning hiragana and katakana and then Kanji. Hiragana and Katakana are required knowledge for starting the studies so you definitely need to learn them during summer and Kanjis are not taught in school and there is over 2000 of them so I would really suggest an early start. Additional reason to start learning kanjis really early for me would be that Kanjis have very different ways of pronounciation so it would be better to know the Kanji and then through everyday Japanese study learn the readings. The book that was very helpful for me was Heisigs book Remembering the Kanji 1: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters. This book does not teach you a single japanese word but instead teaches you how to recognize and remember individual Kanjis when you see them, making it easier to learn how to read it later. For me this approach is amazing but I wish I started it earlier so I could have maximized my Kanji learning during the school as right now I have the most trouble when I go to the pool and I can understand the sign but I cannot read it :lol: .
Of course there are other ways of going around this and I cannot tell you that this is the best method, it is just the one I think works the best for me. ;)

The reason I don't really tell you to study japanese much is because in school you are probably going to be split in beginners, intermediate group or expert like Mario. It took us 2 months and 25 hours of studying at school per week + studying at home to catch up with the stuff intermediate group studied in the first month. At the end of beginners study I can say that we are able to speak nice basic Japanese and try to communicate our way in restaurants or bars, although I must admit we do often ask our smarter intermediate group senpais to take over when our Japanese fails :lol: From what I have gathered, most intermediate people have studied Japanese for at least a year before coming to Japan.

And about money issue, it is not ideal, the first grant comes only at the end of september :oops: . Although you can ask for some money in advance but I dont think it is much. I personally am not the most careful spender here in Japan and I am running low on money right now but I do not really care as it is the only time I have ever been to Japan and I want to do as many trips as possible and try as many things as possible. I think money comes secondary compared to the lifetime experiences :mrgreen:

Sorry for long post, if you want to discuss privately, feel free to PM me
katchau
Selected Member

Postby katchau » 06 Mar 2020, 02:58

Speenda wrote:
mario_meissner wrote:
These are two things that corcern me a lot, to be fair, particularly the latter (I've little knowledge of Japanese language too, but at least I can study it a bit during summer), given that I haven't much money (I think I will manage to pay my plane ticket, but without much left). Anyway, thank you so much for this!

Yeah you should get money at least for the Japan flight. You can ask for an advance in the September's branch of money but it might be tight for you in case they delay it like this year (we had to wait for everyone to open the bank account in order for them to give the scholarship). I recommend always having a bit of money on your European account, either for September or December, specially December, as Mario said, which is the time you should travel as you won't get 2 weeks off that soon.

Right now, we didn't even get the big grant bonus and i'm swimming in money right now. I even bought a monkey (Richie). So just be careful in the first few months.
danaekikue
Selected Member

Postby danaekikue » 06 Mar 2020, 03:10

katchau wrote:
Speenda wrote:
mario_meissner wrote:

Yeah you should get money at least for the Japan flight. You can ask for an advance in the September's branch of money but it might be tight for you in case they delay it like this year (we had to wait for everyone to open the bank account in order for them to give the scholarship). I recommend always having a bit of money on your European account, either for September or December, specially December, as Mario said, which is the time you should travel as you won't get 2 weeks off that soon.

Right now, we didn't even get the big grant bonus and i'm swimming in money right now. I even bought a monkey (Richie). So just be careful in the first few months.

I feel like I have to clarify that not all of us live in luxury as the rich Portuguese here. There are some of us that may happen to struggle a bit to balance money, hahahaha. But really, most money fly away if you decide to travel a lot since seeing Japan is an expensive hobby. But it is enough to survive. If you manage to balance the first months until December. But yes, money from back home just to be safe I think it's a good option to have
Poky
Selected Member

Postby Poky » 06 Apr 2020, 09:38

Just wanted to post in here that a few of us have made Telegram blogs so if you want you can follow them
This one is mine and I started it a few days ago so it does not have much and is very bare since it is just a way for me to try to start something creative during this period.
Recommend this one from my Basque friend who is also this year on Vulcanus, he has been writting way before the Vulcanus even started so he has a lot of content so you can follow our journey so far. His telegram id is @izadiegizabal if you want to contact him directly.
Giulia_F

Postby Giulia_F » 26 Apr 2020, 20:31

Hi guys! I've been selected for Vulcanus in Japan - 2020 edition! :lol:
I opened a blog and an Instagram page about my future experience in Japan (and I will share some tips for the selection process, so if you want to send your application one of the next years definitely stay tuned!)
Here are the links to the blog (I will write in Italian and English) and my instagram page.
As of now I have just published one post, but many will follow up soon! I definitely want to pursue this little writing project, also to have something to look back to when this experience will be over.
VIJ20 participant!

Check out my blog and my instagram if you want to know more about my experience in Japan: I also posted advice for future applicants!

My blog "Giulia in Japan"
My instagram page
hidesagred97
Shortlisted Member

Postby hidesagred97 » 10 Nov 2020, 16:58

That's great! Thanks for sharing your experience with the Vulcanus!!

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”