After short-list

Vulcanus in Japan 2018-2019 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: Ktrn, yez

vin.center

After short-list

Postby vin.center » 13 Jan 2018, 17:19

Hi guys, i was wondering... What happens if you are shortlisted?
I know that you can send up to 2 motivation letters for 2 internships.
- But, those 2 letters will be sent at the same time to the 2 companies?
- Will be there more than one round for the matching?
- The company will ask us to do an interview?
- If shortlisted, what kind of documents will we have to send? (i mean apart the motivation letters)

Thank you in advance guys :D
pietro93
Shortlisted Member

Re: After short-list

Postby pietro93 » 13 Jan 2018, 17:31

I got shortlisted two years ago. They will suggest a placement for you, but you are free to choose any of the placements available (up to two) and write a cover letter for each company you choose. If I remember correctly, they only send the letter to your first choice at first, and if there is a second round they will then send that to your second choice (there was no second round two years ago, all positions were filled in the first round).
Some companies may call you for an interview, I believe that most do not.

For documents, we were asked to fill out a new form and also get it signed by your university or by the professor who recommended you. Also many of us (i think around half) were asked to re-send their certificate of enrolment because it did not fit the requirements for a visa.
vin.center

Postby vin.center » 13 Jan 2018, 18:04

Thank you ;)

pietro93 wrote: If I remember correctly, they only send the letter to your first choice at first, and if there is a second round they will then send that to your second choice (there was no second round two years ago, all positions were filled in the first round).

This is really a bad news ... This means that is important to make a good 1st choise.
xPhYSiCsx

Postby xPhYSiCsx » 15 Jan 2018, 23:08

pietro93 wrote:They will suggest a placement for you, but you are free to choose any of the placements available (up to two) and write a cover letter for each company you choose.

And if we choose one company that has many sections (or in my case laboratories like the NTT company), will they send it to a specific laboratory that I chose or to the company in general?
Also, how much does the cover letter has to be different from the letter of motivation?
yez
Vulcanus alumnus (15-16)

Postby yez » 15 Jan 2018, 23:12

Company doesnt matter, what matters are the placement identifiers/numbers. So NTT typically offers a bunch of BRL and a bunch of Media Lab internships. Each of those get a different number and are distinct placements. Sometimes multiple potential topics are grouped under same number, but there is only one spot. In that case, you don't know what topic you end up with.

tl;dr: You apply for one placement in the 1st round (not the company as such).

PS: And typically the shortlist is chosen in such a way, that there are roughly 5 candidates per placement.
zaragui wrote:I love yez so much...
pietro93
Shortlisted Member

Postby pietro93 » 17 Jan 2018, 16:32

xPhYSiCsx wrote:
pietro93 wrote:They will suggest a placement for you, but you are free to choose any of the placements available (up to two) and write a cover letter for each company you choose.

And if we choose one company that has many sections (or in my case laboratories like the NTT company), will they send it to a specific laboratory that I chose or to the company in general?
Also, how much does the cover letter has to be different from the letter of motivation?

You need to choose placements, not companies. The cover letter should be relevant to the project you want to apply to, so you should talk about the skills that you have that you think are useful for that specific placement. In my case for example, in my letter of motivation I talked both about my technical skills, my research skills and reasons behind wanting to go to Japan. In my cover letter, I would only focus on either my technical skills or my research skills based on the placement (last time I applied to a research position as my first choice and to a technical position as my second choice, so the two letters were pretty different from each other).

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”