Chemical Engineers' Experience (and some questions)

Vulcanus in Japan 2018-2019 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: Ktrn, yez

Chester

Chemical Engineers' Experience (and some questions)

Postby Chester » 18 Jan 2019, 02:04

Hi everyone! As you can assume, I am a chemical engineering student. I have already completed my Bachelor's and I'm currently on my Master's degree (Field of studies: Energy and (Bio)Refinery), 1st year.

My plans for the future are to apply for the Erasmus program for the 1st semester (next year) and at that time, apply for the Vulcanus program for the next year. Before that, I need to get some questions answered:

1- When did you get the final reply that you were accepted? This would influence my decision drastically because the ideal plan would be that I could finish my Master' thesis (until June/July) and after that, go to Japan in August or September.

2- Is there anyone here that had any sort of Chemical Engineering related experience there? If so, what was mainly your field of work?

3- Do you guys think that the scholarship can easily cover up the basic expenses? i.e., food, transportation, etc.

4- This is not exactly a question, but I would like to know the biggest pros and cons of Japan.

Thank you and I apologize for the long text. Here's something to cheer you up.

PS: If any of these questions is already answered, please link me the topic ;)
hidesagred97
Shortlisted Member

Re: Chemical Engineers' Experience (and some questions)

Postby hidesagred97 » 18 Jan 2019, 14:57

I can only answer your first question.
Last year shortlist was announced 20th February.
Selected student were notified the 9th April and 25th April we were notified that the matchmaking procedure had ended

3 and 4 may be answered by one of the student selected in previous years.
Chester

Postby Chester » 18 Jan 2019, 19:00

But when did you effectively moved there?
hidesagred97
Shortlisted Member

Postby hidesagred97 » 18 Jan 2019, 19:41

I wasn´t selected. I only was shortlisted, (yellow name).
But the selected student arrive to Japan 1st September. There is also a compulsory meeting in Brussels in July.

FYI:
Yellow name: shorlisted member
Orange: former shorlisted member (Since I was shortlisted for 2017/18 programme I should be here)
Red: Selected member for this current year.
Teal: former selected students.
Black: non shortlisted/selected members.

I think that there are more but I dont remember them.
Chester

Postby Chester » 18 Jan 2019, 20:06

Oh I see. Thanks!
kryss
Vulcanus alumnus (16-17)

Postby kryss » 19 Jan 2019, 10:01

Question 3: Yes. Easily, even travelling a lot across the country. Because your accomodation is covered, the cost of living is not nearly as high as you would expect---as long as you don't go overboard.

Question 4: If you're asking about this generally, it really depends on the person, your interests and your possible existing fascination with Japan. If you're asking only about the scope of the programme, the biggest plus might be getting to learn Japanese at a downright amazing school, while the largest con might be that it can get slightly lonely in January and February, depending on where you're located.

But, as I've said, it all depends on the person. This is a good time to plug http://vulcanus.reteka.net/viewtopic.php?f=114806&t=2332158, a list of blogs from former participants, where you can read about the experience from multiple viewpoints in detail. A year like Vulcanus really can't be summed up into one pro and one con.
Chester

Postby Chester » 19 Jan 2019, 18:27

Thanks for the answers. I'll check those blogs to understand the program and the living style a little bit more.

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”