Work culture during internship

Vulcanus in Japan 2018-2019 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: Ktrn, yez

JMuller

Work culture during internship

Postby JMuller » 03 Jun 2019, 10:16

I'm planning on applying to Vulcanus in November. I read some alarming articles about the very competitive japanese work culture, how you are expected to do a lot of hours during the week and so on.

I wanted to ask previous participants for their opinion. How many hours did you work ? Did you have the feeling you were being exploited ? How much free time did you have ?
My other alternative is a research internship at Okayama University for 6 months. The problem is that there is no grant or language course.

I look forward to reading your experiences!
mario_meissner
Selected Member

Re: Work culture during internship

Postby mario_meissner » 03 Jun 2019, 15:35

I'm not a previous participant, but I have read that most had a good experience work-wise.
Since you'll be a foreigner and your position is an internship, it is unlikely that they will "push" you to work overtime or anything like that. Also I believe that Vulcanus will support you in case you encounter any such situation.

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”