VinJ 20/21 applicants

Vulcanus in Japan 2018-2019 Forum.
The Programme's main forum.
Here you will find pretty much everything related to Vulcanus in Japan. Information about this session and also previous sessions - applications, shortlisting, selection, etc.

English is mandatory.

Moderators: Ktrn, yez

Konstantinos

Re: VinJ 20/21 applicants

Postby Konstantinos » 23 Apr 2020, 07:34

Ilias95 wrote:
On the 9th of March I got contacted from the company in order to schedule an interview, and I had my interview on the 13th of March. I thought I did well on the interview so I was quite optimistic.

When the center started mailing accepted candidates I was surprised that I didn't get an e-mail so I contacted the company directly in order to ask for feedback. They informed me that they did accept me, but when they sent their answer to the EUJP center it was already too late and all the places have already been assigned!!! That probably means that many of you have been accepted by your companies as well but you are ... well, unlucky.

Ok this is extremely sad.. I guess even if someone did everything right, in the end it is just a coinflip.

Anyway after thinking about it the past few weeks, I think it might be for the best due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation.
It seems that it will hit very hard in Japan in the following months/years.

Good luck in anything you choose to do from now on everyone!
seicaratteri

Re: VinJ 20/21 applicants

Postby seicaratteri » 30 Apr 2020, 21:42

Ilias95 wrote:This program is completely a lottery.

I have applied 3 times, 2 out of which I have been shortlisted. This year (my last chance ever) I applied for company no. 7, Advanet, which has accepted students for the last 2 years at least.

On the 9th of March I got contacted from the company in order to schedule an interview, and I had my interview on the 13th of March. I thought I did well on the interview so I was quite optimistic.

When the center started mailing accepted candidates I was surprised that I didn't get an e-mail so I contacted the company directly in order to ask for feedback. They informed me that they did accept me, but when they sent their answer to the EUJP center it was already too late and all the places have already been assigned!!! That probably means that many of you have been accepted by your companies as well but you are ... well, unlucky.

If the assignment works on a first come, first served order it is totally ridiculous since this is completely out of the control of the applicants. At the same time, in the e-mail we received today we can see that only 18 placements were filled by about 30 students. That means that some companies got 2 or more students while others got 0 even though they had accepted some. In general, there is no transparency at all regarding how exactly this infamous "match-making process" is done.

To conclude, as an advice to future applicants, don't take this program too seriously and certainly don't have high expectations.

Inspired by your story, I contacted my company (no. 6) to ask for a possible internship outside the scope of Vulcanus because the possible jobs we discussed during the interview were extremely interesting and I had the feeling that, in general, the interview went very well. They answered me back telling me that they can't offer an internship now due to the coronavirus situation, but they confirmed that I was their number one choice and that they are on the waiting list of Vulcanus. So yes, at the very end is just a flip of a coin even if you do everything right.

For the shortlisted people that had an interview: if you have the feeling that it went well you could try to contact your company as well. In the worst case scenario nothing will happen and in the best one, you might have the chance to go to Japan even without Vulcanus.

For future applicants: really don't have high expectations.

Good luck to all for everything else life will reserve for you :)

Return to “Vulcanus in Japan”